Amazon Spice Guayusa

Cinnamon, Citrus, Hay, Mint, Sweet, warm grass
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “Chai to Stay Dry! Decided to do something a little different today, as I do want to focus on some of my older samplers, but I’m still trying to keep to the “spice” profile associated with chais....” Read full tasting note
  • “First tasting note for this blend! Such a shame, since it’s a good one. This was a free sample with my Fusion order for Black Friday! I kind of expected this to be chai with a guayusa base for...” Read full tasting note

From Fusion Teas

Take a trip into the unknown with Guayusa, a naturally caffeine-rich herb from the jungles of the Amazon.

This blend is a study in contrast. Bright, citrusy, organic lemongrass is foiled with rich, enticing, organic cinnamon and earthy, green, organic Guayusa. Dry, Amazon Spice’s colors are like muted fall leaves, yet brewed its color is a honeyed, bright, golden-orange hue. The lingering aftertaste is both sweet and spiced. Lemongrass refreshes, cinnamon stabilizes and Guayusa enlivens. The result is a balanced blend that gratifies the palate and the body.

Pair this Guayusa blend with some of the foods of its homeland—fried plantains, jicima salad or grilled meats—or partner it with roasted sweet potatoes or honey-glazed ham.

Tasting Notes: rich, bright, earthy

Ingredients: organic amazonian guayusa, organic lemongrass, organic cinnamon.

Steeping instructions: 1.5 tsp, 185 degrees F, 4-6 min.

About Fusion Teas View company

Chai to Stay Dry! Decided to do something a little different today, as I do want to focus on some of my older samplers, but I’m still trying to keep to the “spice” profile associated with chais. This is a guayusa mixed with lemongrass and cinnamon; I’ve had relatively few guayusa blends (which is a shame, because I tend to enjoy the flavor of guayusa more than yerba mate in general, but finding blends with it is far more difficult than the latter!) and having something different than another black tea chai but that still offered a caffeine punch sounded nice this morning.

The steeped tea smelled strongly of cinnamon gum, but I found the flavor wasn’t as strong as I was expecting. I get notes of dry hay, a muted citrus that lacks the notable tang that accompanies lemon, a touch of mint, and an aftertaste of cinnamon that adds a bit of flavor to the cup but doesn’t leave a warming sensation on the tongue like other cinnamon spice teas I’ve tried. The cumulative flavor is very grassy or herby with a slight cinnamon touch right at the finish.

Honestly, the more I drank this, the more I enjoyed it. It wasn’t what I expected when I first sipped it, as the smell and the taste created a big disconnect in my mind. But once I settled into the earthy flavor and was warmed from within from the cinnamon, I started to really get into the blend. It’s a simple but effective tea.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Citrus, Hay, Mint, Sweet, warm grass

First tasting note for this blend! Such a shame, since it’s a good one. This was a free sample with my Fusion order for Black Friday! I kind of expected this to be chai with a guayusa base for some reason. Really, it’s cinnamon and lots of lemongrass (I think there’s more lemongrass than guayusa actually). I used 1 1/2 teaspoons. This should really be called ‘sweet lemon guayusa’ or something! I’m actually very impressed with this one – very tasty. I love the unique flavor of guayusa and it is perfect here with sweet cinnamon and sweeter lemongrass. This would probably be amazing iced. The second steep was just as nice. I think that cinnamon works best with a just boiled temp though, so I always feel like cinnamon is wasted in some teas that don’t have a boiling steep. Sadly, I’ve noticed I seem to get mild headaches while drinking guayusa or yerba mate. I’d buy a ton of this blend from Fusion anyway.
Steep#1 // 25-30 minutes after boiling // 3-4 min