Hojicha Dark Roast

Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Francois Mathieu

5 Images

From Hōjicha Co.

Hojicha Dark Roast is crafted from deeply roasted green tea grown in Kyoto, Japan.

About Hōjicha Co. View company

Sipdown (298)

I have to say I was afraid of this one in comparison to the gold roast since I thought it would be more roasty and more akin to coffee. However, trying them side by side, I think this is actually smoother than the gold roast somehow. I think because the overall sip is that roasty, smokey, vegetal quality vs. the gold roast where the roastiness comes in more to the end of the sip and lingers in the aftertaste.

This, to me, is less umami and more nutty and the consistency of the flavor makes it seem like I am drinking a liquid version of roasted nuts. Of the two Roswell Strange so kindly shared with me, this is surprisingly the one I like a lot more. In fact, this mug is done and I am still working on the gold roast. Thank you Roswell Strange for the chance to carry out this fun experiment!

The flavour of the dark roasted Hojicha is everything I had hoped it would be. It’s earthy and grassy but the smoky roasted flavour is a larger note. To me, this flavour profile is extremely cozy and soothing. It’s extremely rich and strong.

Flavors: Dark Wood, Earth, Grass

I definitely had to up the rating on this. Not sure what I was thinking before. I’ve been drinking this quite a lot because it’s absolutely delectable, and the rain we’ve had lately makes for perfect toasty hojicha weather.

Western style mug!

This is still super good as a Western brew, but admittedly it’s leagues better when prepared Gongfu – it definitely feels a little richer and when nuanced when prepared that way. That said, this is still deep and toasty with a caramelized sugar and roasted hazelnut sort of vibe. I love me a good mug of cozy Hojicha!