Gokujo Hojicha

Green Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Coffee, Mineral, Roasted, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Toast, Wet Wood, Caramel, Honey, Fireplace, Smoked, Toasted, Wood, Espresso, Toasty
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

From Ippodo

Remarkably aromatic, light-bodied, and refreshing. This hojicha blend of roasted green tea leaves and stems- is one of the most popular teas in our selection.

Our Gokujo Hojicha is the perfect blend of roasted tea leaves and stems that many have come to love as a soothing everyday tea. Soft, sweet, and aromatic, Gokujo Hojicha our first recommendation whether you are looking to try hojicha for the first time or for the hundredth time.

About Ippodo View company

2050 tasting notes

I really don’t drink enough Japanese teas. And I feel bad about it, because I get a lovely package of fresh teas from Obubu every quarter, and I’m just not in the habit of drinking them. So once I’m done with advent teas in a couple of days, I’d really like to try to drink a Japanese tea every day, or at least a few times a week. So I chose this hojicha as my last tea of the night in the spirit of that idea! I also bought this particular tea in Kyoto, and had a lovely cuppa in their little tea room. So it brings back nice memories as well.

Going with lazy Western-style in a mug since I’m not going to drag out the kyūsu at 11 PM… I sort of winged the parameters, and the result is delicious. This has a fairly dark color, both in the leaf and the steeped tea, but a surprisingly mellow flavor. Very smooth with notes of light roast coffee and toast, and plenty of the usual autumn leaf and wet wood. Because it’s mellow there’s just a little hint of soft smoke in the background. But my favorite thing about this tea is the lingering clear sweetness that appears at the end of the sip…

Such a perfect tea for a cozy evening, and I slurped down every last drop… :D

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Coffee, Mineral, Roasted, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Toast, Wet Wood

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

the warm wet leaves give me a vague hint of roasted seaweed. i love this tea

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is a pleasant tea you could use for a daily drinker. Nothing overwhelming and fills your room with a pleasant aroma. Also low in caffeine so feel free to drink it even in the evening.

Opening the package I was greeted with the pleasant smell of toasty wood.

1st Steep: This came out a light amber color and tasted a lot like a light coffee and green tea mix.

2nd Steep: This powered up the wood and fire taste and it showed in the much darker color. Little resemblance of green tea remained. Still nothing overwhelming however. It left me with a slight pleasant smoke aftertastes.

3rd Steep: This went back into a coffee like taste with hints of smoke.

Further steeps: I lengthened the steeping times as I went on. Not a lot to speak of here. It did not turn bitter at all. The smoke and wood smell began to disappear and went back into the coffee and green tea like mix. After around eight steeps flavor pretty much disappeared even after long steeps.

Overall I do recommend this tea. Its a great one to throw in any time of day.

Flavors: Coffee, Fireplace, Smoked, Toasted, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

little Glass pitcher method (grandpa style):

when i smell the leaves dry, they smell nice! roasted, toasty and crisp

when i smell the leaves wet, its the same as above but also has a aged smell to it (in a good way)

when i smell the brewed tea, it smells same as above but also has a coffee/espresso taste to it! :D

When i taste the brewed tea, it tastes like all of the above! :D

WHAT A WONDERFUL TEA!! :D Hojicha is my new #1 favorite Japanese tea!

many thanks to my wonderful friend Paola for this wonderful tea!

Flavors: Coffee, Espresso, Roasted, Toasty