Yerba Santa Tea

Herbal Tea
Biting, Bitter, Drying, Medicinal, Resin, Sap, Sweet, Tart
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
Boiling 8 min or more 10 oz / 297 ml

• “Brewed with a bag of mildly tart rosehips to cut through the resin-sweet medicinal taste. It adds a gentle fruity taste to the background. My housemate and I spent Sunday cleaning out the garage...” Read full tasting note
  • “I came home, prepared myself a cuppa of this one. Just hot water in mug, where tea bag was. Just keeping bag in. So, while I am writing this line it is over 7 minutes now. When dry, it smells...” Read full tasting note

From Juniper Ridge

REGION: MOUNTAINS

The Story
Juniper Ridge Tea is a pure plant experience — cozy and uplifting when you’re not feeling your best. Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon californicum) clears the air with its herbal, slightly-medicinal taste. It’s a delicious cup of goodness that is complex, rich and sweet. Caffeine free, gluten free and sustainably harvested. Usage: TO ENJOY HOT Boil 8oz. of water and let cool 1 minute. Place tea bag in heatproof mug. Pour in hot water. Cover and let steep for 15-30 minutes. TO ENJOY COLD Follow the above directions. When tea reaches desired strength, remove tea bag and pour over ice. Tea bags can be added directly to cold water for a refreshing thirst quencher. The flavor will be subtler.
Scent Notes
Smooth and sweet, rich earth, toasty aroma

Dried Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon californicum) leaves

Caution
Consult a health care practitioner before use if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or suffering from a medical condition.

About Juniper Ridge View company

Brewed with a bag of mildly tart rosehips to cut through the resin-sweet medicinal taste. It adds a gentle fruity taste to the background. My housemate and I spent Sunday cleaning out the garage and creating maneuverable workshop space. Should’ve worn a dust mask. Yerba santa is a good herb to brew when I’m severely stuffed up and mucousy. It worked well to clear me out during fire season, too.

Edit: brewed with a bag of this https://steepster.com/derk/posts/409498 which is not rosehips

Boiling 8 min or more 10 OZ / 295 ML
Martin Bednář

I see I have rated this tea quite low, but it wasn’t THAT bad I think. My virtual cupboard says I should have one tea bag left, but I wonder where it is buried.

derk

I bet it’s under that giant pile of tea. Riiight there.

derk

By the way, I feel like yerba santa is an acquired taste and not something that could be had often. It is medicine.

Martin Bednář

Haha, yep — it’s there or over there, no other places are possible.

Indeed it is acquired taste as I see I wasn’t that impressed about that. But yep, it’s medicine. So, maybe I will give it another try when feeling stuffed up, mucousy or something. Luckily, I am not being sick often.

Please keep things friendly and .

I came home, prepared myself a cuppa of this one.

When dry, it smells strongly medicinal, so I was not really sure if it is a tea for me. Like some kind of cleaner which is used in hospitals. Bleh, but who knows, in cup it can be different. And indeed it is! I am afraid I can´t describe it very well, but just few words: “Fresh air, forest floor, after rain”. Those were random ideas whose came to my mind.

11 minutes steep now.
It becames drinkable. It is a honey? No, it is a tea! But really – smooth, honey flavour, maybe bit of roasted. Very, very interesting.

19 minutes
There is some aftertaste, which makes it sour or astringent. That makes it bit unpleasant. Still; it tastes good – but this is queer.

25 minutes
Tea is gone, certainly interesting; but I am not really sure if I would pick it again.

Thank you Derk for all three teas from Juniper Ridge, they are really interesting teas.

Boiling 8 min or more 10 OZ / 300 ML
derk

I haven’t tried this tea yet. When I would brush against yerba santa while working outdoors, its resin would stick to my pants for hours. It was so fragrant! and quite medicinal.

Martin Bednář

Yup, resinous is probably correct word for 19 minutes “tag”. I think about 15 minutes is just right :)

Please keep things friendly and .