Yerba Santa Tea

Herbal Tea
Biting, Bitter, Drying, Medicinal, Resin, Sap, Sweet, Tart
Tea Bag
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
Boiling 8 min or more 10 oz / 298 ml

• “My old coworker who now works for Juniper Ridge contacted me again for more work, this time harvesting some other tree or shrub near Grass Valley, CA. This project involves schlepping all the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I came home, prepared myself a cuppa of this one. Just hot water in mug, where tea bag was. Just keeping bag in. So, while I am writing this line it is over 7 minutes now. When dry, it smells...” Read full tasting note

From Juniper Ridge

REGION: MOUNTAINS

The Story
Juniper Ridge Tea is a pure plant experience — cozy and uplifting when you’re not feeling your best. Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon californicum) clears the air with its herbal, slightly-medicinal taste. It’s a delicious cup of goodness that is complex, rich and sweet. Caffeine free, gluten free and sustainably harvested. Usage: TO ENJOY HOT Boil 8oz. of water and let cool 1 minute. Place tea bag in heatproof mug. Pour in hot water. Cover and let steep for 15-30 minutes. TO ENJOY COLD Follow the above directions. When tea reaches desired strength, remove tea bag and pour over ice. Tea bags can be added directly to cold water for a refreshing thirst quencher. The flavor will be subtler.
Scent Notes
Smooth and sweet, rich earth, toasty aroma

Dried Yerba Santa (Eriodictyon californicum) leaves

Caution
Consult a health care practitioner before use if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication or suffering from a medical condition.

About Juniper Ridge View company

My old coworker who now works for Juniper Ridge contacted me again for more work, this time harvesting some other tree or shrub near Grass Valley, CA. This project involves schlepping all the chainsawing gear up a mountain and camping for several days at a time instead of staying in a hotel and working on flat ground like the last few trips. But I can’t go because I love my new job and my days off are incompatible with their camping trips. So if anybody in the San Francisco Bay Area or Grass Valley/Nevada City/Tahoe region has the cojones to attempt this kind of work, send me a message — pleasefixsteepster oot gmail doot coom. They’re chill people.

Yerba Santa is a highly resinous evergreen shrub with long, toothed-lobed leaves and white- to lavender-colored flowers, indigenous to Oregon south to Mexico. I’ve only come across it in one location here in the Bay Area, on the west peak of Mt Tamalpais while doing restoration work. While eradicating an invasive grass, I’d toe my way around the yerba santa plants, trying not to disturb them too heavily but I’d always emerge at the end of the day with a sticky pair of work pants, more fragrant with this plant’s sap than with my own sweat. I love the resinous smell, so I’d admittedly wear my work pants for as long as possible before having to wash them :P

The aroma of this tea is difficult to describe and since I’m intimately familiar with the plant, it of course smells like yerba santa. Very resinous, sappy, medicinal. The taste is the same but also quite bittersweet at the same time, with the sweetness seeming similar to stevia for me. The finish is tart and drying with a lingering light bitterness. Immensely body cooling, more like balsam or pine than menthol. As far as medicinal claims, it’s supposed to be good for relieving the symptoms of lower respiratory ailments and allergies and bladder issues as a diuretic. I’m not testing whether this is true but if you follow herbal medicine, maybe give this one a try.

Flavors: Biting, Bitter, Drying, Medicinal, Resin, Sap, Sweet, Tart

Boiling 8 min or more 10 OZ / 295 ML
Martin Bednář

I need a plane tickets, working visa and off I go! :D

derk

I bet they’d like to have you on the crew, Martin.

I came home, prepared myself a cuppa of this one.

When dry, it smells strongly medicinal, so I was not really sure if it is a tea for me. Like some kind of cleaner which is used in hospitals. Bleh, but who knows, in cup it can be different. And indeed it is! I am afraid I can´t describe it very well, but just few words: “Fresh air, forest floor, after rain”. Those were random ideas whose came to my mind.

11 minutes steep now.
It becames drinkable. It is a honey? No, it is a tea! But really – smooth, honey flavour, maybe bit of roasted. Very, very interesting.

19 minutes
There is some aftertaste, which makes it sour or astringent. That makes it bit unpleasant. Still; it tastes good – but this is queer.

25 minutes
Tea is gone, certainly interesting; but I am not really sure if I would pick it again.

Thank you Derk for all three teas from Juniper Ridge, they are really interesting teas.

Boiling 8 min or more 10 OZ / 300 ML
derk

I haven’t tried this tea yet. When I would brush against yerba santa while working outdoors, its resin would stick to my pants for hours. It was so fragrant! and quite medicinal.

Martin Bednář

Yup, resinous is probably correct word for 19 minutes “tag”. I think about 15 minutes is just right :)