Darjeeling The First Flush

Astringent, Bitter, Fruity, Potato, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Grapes, Lychee, Citrus Zest, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Hops, Green
Edit tea info Last updated by Ricky

• “Huh. My first thought up upon opening this was that the dry leaves smelled chocolatey. Like, really “did I spill Florence somewhere?” chocolate. The liqueur is amber, a light tawny orange, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “This came as a part of my new years Luck Bag, Happy Bag? Something like that. Anyway, it was a good start to a morning after have no power for 5 hours yesterday! (6 til 11 pm very...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was not as good as I have expected. I was sure that I didn’t oversteep, but the liquor was slightly bitter. It had a roasted flavour which I didn’t really like… overall this was quite a strong...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea was good! I had it on my way to work this morning! I love how it smelled a bit fruity mixed with some gourmand notes. It was a light colored brew for a black tea but I added sugar to it....” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

A blend of spring-plucked Darjeeling with refreshing astringency and fruity aroma.

About Lupicia View company

Huh. My first thought up upon opening this was that the dry leaves smelled chocolatey. Like, really “did I spill Florence somewhere?” chocolate. The liqueur is amber, a light tawny orange, and smells… roasted at first, like a dark oolong, then very fruity (citrus, in particular) as the aroma spreads. Sipping, this tastes fruity and like it wants to be bitter – on the tip of my tongue – but doesn’t quite have the astringency to pull it off. Makes me glad I didn’t steep it any longer, or use more leaf. I did use a heaping half tsp of leaf (about 1.7g) for 4oz, which may have been too much, but I was curious to see how this would go through multiple infusions. There’s very little tea flavor to this first infusion, mostly the fruity and astringency. Rather what I imagine a tea made of grapefruit peel would be like :P

Second steep is smoother, but flavor descriptors still elude me. This tea is all sharp edges and shadows when I’m used to something with body, and color. I’ll keep trying, and see how long it lasts. Maybe milk or sugar would help?

Hm. 3rd infusion (~3 minutes) is the best, most harmonious, yet. More of a pale gold color, and still too seems too light to add milk to, but sweet and mild enough not to need sugar. This seems temperamental – even for a Darjeeling – but maybe worth getting to know.

This came as a part of my new years Luck Bag, Happy Bag? Something like that. Anyway, it was a good start to a morning after have no power for 5 hours yesterday! (6 til 11 pm very inconvenient.)

I have tons of more interesting teas to drink, but this was nice. Very down to earth. Very grounding.

Happy Friday!

Ricky

I’m hesitant to try this one. A typical darjeeling?

fcmonroe

I’m honestly not sure. I haven’t had enough darjeelings to know what’s typical. I did enjoy it.

This was not as good as I have expected. I was sure that I didn’t oversteep, but the liquor was slightly bitter. It had a roasted flavour which I didn’t really like… overall this was quite a strong Darjeeling. Hmm I now have to go and look for something more mellow in my cupboard…

This tea was good! I had it on my way to work this morning! I love how it smelled a bit fruity mixed with some gourmand notes. It was a light colored brew for a black tea but I added sugar to it. This was delicious tho I don’t think it was necessary.

Since a got a sample pack from Lupicia for Christmas I have decided to try these teas during the winter holiday. First one out is the Darjeeling, The First Flush.

Since it is about 5g per pack of tea I will stick to the instructions on the accompanied booklet. It says 5g for 300ml for 2-2.5 minutes. My cup can contain about 2.5 dl so I did use about 3.5-4g.

The colour of the tea was amber and orange and the smell reminded me of how long it has been since a have had a cup of good darjeeling. While the taste certainly contained a light yet round flavour like many darjeelings do, I did however first feel that it was a bit thin. I think this is mainly due to me eating an onigiri with tuna and mayonnaise before tasting, as the tea got much better after a while.

Still, since this is a first flush darjeeling, I would have expected a little bit more from it. The tea is in no way bad, but I guess I wanted it to be better. All in all a good tea.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Shinobi_cha

Frohe Weihnachten! (I’m not sure how to say it in Norwegian)

Shadowleaf

Thanks! (It’s ‘God Jul’ in Norwegian)

This was a free teabag from my Lupicia order a while ago. And I have it in my Steepster cupboard, so I’m counting it as a sipdown. Hopefully I haven’t added too many single teabags on my Steepster cupboard. Crikey. First flushes are always tough for me to describe. I don’t know why because they have such a unique flavor. It’s not like I’m drinking Darj all the time. This one is tasty enough, but nothing I really want to seek out and stock up on. But that is generally all first flushes for me. I’m more of second flush fan. I hope everyone is doing well… I haven’t read tasting notes in a while.
Steep #1 // 30 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 28 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
2019 Sipdowns: 65

Leafhopper

I hope you’re doing well, too. I gravitate toward Darjeeling second flushes as well, so can empathize with your difficulties in describing this one.

tea-sipper

:D Leafhopper, thanks

I brewed this Western Style. Surprisingly, this tea is not as good as the Lupicia Darjeeling Second Flush.

First attempt: 1st infusion: 208F @ 2.5 minutes — Bitter! I’m unsure if it’s because it’s the last of the bag from a friend or the water is too hot.

Second attempt: First infusion: 2 minutes @ 195F. The aroma is slightly sweet, smokey, with a touch of astringency to it. In tasting, it has a bitterness & astringency without any real flavor.

Second infusion; 2.5 minutes @ 195F. The 2nd infusion was much better than the first one. The astringency is not as noticeable in taste, and more of the traditional Darjeeling flavors are coming into play.

3rd infusion: 4 minutes @ 195F: Okay, NOW I am tasting a traditional Darjeeling flavor. The astringency has declined.

Overall, this tea is much better the more you infuse it. Or if you just want something hot and tea-like to drink as you run out the door.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter

195 °F / 90 °C

1926 tasting notes

Sipdown no. 5 of February 2019 (no. 23 of 2019 total, no. 511 grand total). A sample teabag.

I forgot to sniff the bag before I put it in the water. Good thing I have another one of these. Next time I’ll use lower water temp, too. I really wasn’t thinking this morning about this because I was too busy trying to conquer a pu erh cake so I could rinse some leaves and let them sit for a bit.

Anyway, this tea is golden yellow, clear, and has a pleasant, mild smell that I would have called sweet wood, but I guess is close enough to fruit. It’s a bit like sweet potatoes, heavy on the potato. Yeah, that’s it. It’s more potato than sweet potato, but I get both.

The flavor is also very mild, but it doesn’t give me the bloaty, waterlogged feeling I sometimes get from first flush darjeelings.

Nice to watch the British version of House of Cards by.

I finished Broadchurch, and what surprised me the most about the series was the tea bag references. I always thought Brits were too serious about their tea to bother with tea bags.

Flavors: Fruity, Potato, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

Another free sample. :D

I don’t have much experience with Darjeeling but I liked this tea overall. I don’t have much to compare it to though (as far as Darjeeling). The First Flush had a very bright but light yellow liquor with a green, grassy, floral fresh aroma. The first steep was so delicate, mellow, and floral (not perfumey). I went to Mimi’s cafe earlier and had a Quiche Lorraine, rich muffins and more, and I didn’t drink anything during the whole meal so when I got home, I was thirsty lol. This was really refreshing to me. I didn’t want any strong flavors after a sensory overload at Mimi’s lol. I think I picked the right sample to try after that meal. No strong flavors but very flavorful. I can’t pick out the taste at all, what flowers, is there any fruit? Not sure at all. The 2nd steep it became slightly bitter (similar to the level of grapefruit bitter) with crisp astringency… Still very flavorful. Brisk, astringent, refreshing with a nice mouthfeel. The 3rd steep, while flavorful but extremely light now, astringent, but not as bitter.

Now it makes me want to try more Darjeeling. It peaked my interest.

1 bag, 200ml, 200°F, 3 steeps, 2.5min., 3min, 3.5min

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 7 OZ / 200 ML

Understated, grapefruity, and a gentle bitterness when brewed quite light. Steeped three times. Smells better than it tastes, but the flavor is pleasant and refreshing when paired with spicy food. I don’t think I’d drink it on its own but I would reach for it again next time I make prawn masala.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Hops