White Tea (2018)

White Tea
White Tea Leaves
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy
185 °F / 85 °C 8 g 5 oz / 150 ml

9 Images

• “No rating, so far. Grandpa, 2 grams, almost boiling water. Is it too hot? Not enough leaves? Answer for both is nope. It was awesome tea! So smooth. And taste? Well hard to describe actually, it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Maybe I’ve rated this Wuyi white tea so highly because it’s unlike any white tea I’ve had, very savory and assertive. Maybe it’s because I’m a fan of Wuyi oolong and black teas and this tea also...” Read full tasting note

From Old Ways Tea

Sun dried white tea. Slightly fresh on the throat and nose with a good fragrance. If you are familiar with our black teas and like white tea this could be a good choice. This white tea is fairly smooth and the sweetness hits early.

The 2016 harvest was the last offered. This 2018 white tea is from the same farm and was produced by the same tea master. If you are familiar with the previous tea, I would like to point out a couple changes this year. The number of stems was increased as well as the package size. Previously sold as 6g, this year is about 7.5g.

This tea is certified organic by the Chinese standards.

About Old Ways Tea View company

No rating, so far.

Grandpa, 2 grams, almost boiling water.

Is it too hot? Not enough leaves? Answer for both is nope. It was awesome tea! So smooth. And taste? Well hard to describe actually, it reminded me cream, but with wood and wet forest. Bit of minerality was there too. Astringency? Yep, but just a little bit.

Autumn tea. At least for me.

Derk; I have waited for good weather for this tea. And as it is typical autumn; wet, cloudy, rainy, unpleasant weather, I think it was just perfect. THANK you a lot for this experience!

ashmanra

I have had one or two teas from this comoany and remember they were impressive. Glad you enjoyed your tea today!

derk

You’re welcome, Martin. It is very good prepared in a gaiwan if you haven’t already.

Now I am envious because the weather became hot here again ~30C.

Martin Bednář

I have to try it in gaiwan as well, I have something left. I bet it will be awesome then. Today morning was temperature just 1°C. Which is kind of cold. I took my winter jacket and in the afternoon it was completely useless, but rainproof. I hate this weather when you do not know what to wear.

derk

I would love more 1C weather so I can drink all these comforting rock oolong and puerh teas in my closet! It will be cooling down a little over the next few days but we are under a high wildfire warning due to a combination of seasonal high winds and low relative humidity. To anticipate the possibility of wind-felled power lines sparking fires, the electric company might be cutting power to a very large region of northern California, effecting hundreds of thousands of people. According to the map, my house is one street outside the power outage zone, so I’m unsure if we’ll be without electricity for the next few days. My employer 2km up the road is in the zone but we have generators and due to the nature of our business, will be open to serve the community’s needs.

Mastress Alita

Todd’s new house was in the power outage zone. It was restored yesterday though.

derk

He moved, too? I hope he wasn’t effected too severely by the power outage. Only a small portion of my town ended up having the power cut but I’d say half my coworkers were effected.

derk

I wonder if Old Ways Tea was in the zone since they’re located I think in San Jose or Santa Clara.

Martin Bednář

I hope those temperatures would not make big troubles for anybody. Extremes are always bad.

Maybe I’ve rated this Wuyi white tea so highly because it’s unlike any white tea I’ve had, very savory and assertive. Maybe it’s because I’m a fan of Wuyi oolong and black teas and this tea also clearly comes from that, ahem, terroir :P

Or maybe it’s because this tea is like strolling through a forest on a dry and warm autumn day in my home state of Ohio.

crunchy autumn leaves fallen and still falling
smoke snaking through the trees
round bales of hay left in the bright sun at the edge of a farmer’s meadow
a quick shimmy up a pine tree (this tea gets me elevated, haha)
snacking on roasted nuts and a dried sausage with apricot from my jacket pocket
mushrooms pushing up from the forest floor
plants giving out the last bit of their sweet nectar
peeling lichen from the cool limestone cliffs at the bottom of a gorge
somehow yellow peonies and cream fit in with all of this, lol, i promise

This tea is like home.

Flavors: Apricot, Campfire, Cream, Flowers, Hay, Limestone, Meat, Mineral, Mushrooms, Nectar, Pine, Roasted nuts

185 °F / 85 °C 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Evol Ving Ness

terroir

Get you! :)

derk

Current: Dodoni feta cheese and this tea are made for each other.