Sassyfras Strawberry

Fruit Green Blend
Beet Root, Sencha, Strawberry
Autumn Leaf Pile, Grass, Jam, Strawberry, Sweet, Root Beer, Fruity
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “Home – 9:30 PM So I recently signed up for the Piper & Leaf subscription box. They have some interesting blends and I haven’t tried anything from them that I’ve disliked. This tea brews up a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Haveteawilltravel kindly included this one as a bonus in my recent tea purchase. It’s not something I would have chosen on my own, but I’m actually quite enjoying it! The strawberry flavor is most...” Read full tasting note
  • “The next one had me whooping with joy, it is a tea with ACTUAL SASSAFRAS in it!! I love the sassy, in fact it is what makes Red Jade one of my favorite teas, I just love it…having a backyard with...” Read full tasting note
  • “This blend is made up of green tea leaves, large pieces of dried strawberry, some kind of green twig and brown bark (which I’m assuming must be the sassafras), and small jewel-colored purple beets....” Read full tasting note

From PIPER & LEAF Artisan Tea Co.

Old Time Favorite

Caffeinated – 180deg water, 3min

Japanese Sencha green tea, strawberries, sassafras root, beets

A Delicious Burst of Strawberries, Sencha Green Tea, Sassafras Roots, Red Beets, and a Subtle Herbal Blend.

Instructions

Steep 3 min with hot (180 degree) water

Hot: Use 1 flat tsp for 8-10oz mug of tea

Iced: Brew 2.5 tsp in 1.5 cups of water, strain, sweeten, the pour over a quart jar full of ice.

About PIPER & LEAF Artisan Tea Co. View company

Home – 9:30 PM

This tea brews up a charming medium pink color (from the beets). The sencha is very mild and a little bit grassy. I really like the strawberry flavor here, it reminds me of strawberry jam. I’m not sure I know what sassafras tastes like (I assume like root beer?) so I can’t really say if I can taste it here. I think I can taste the beets just a little bit, but that may be just because I know they’re there. ;)

I bet this would be delicious cold brewed!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Grass, Jam, Strawberry, Sweet

Haveteawilltravel kindly included this one as a bonus in my recent tea purchase. It’s not something I would have chosen on my own, but I’m actually quite enjoying it! The strawberry flavor is most prominent with the sassafras showing up mainly in the aftertaste. A nice light, fruity tea for summer!

Flavors: Root Beer, Strawberry

gmathis

What a nice combo! Never thought about the two going together.

The next one had me whooping with joy, it is a tea with ACTUAL SASSAFRAS in it!! I love the sassy, in fact it is what makes Red Jade one of my favorite teas, I just love it…having a backyard with the little trees in it was a big reason why, plus it just tastes really good. It smells really good too, this tea is super heavy on the strawberry, I can barely make out the sassy at all, but it is there lightly.

So this tea brewed pink, which was fun, thank you beets! The taste is pretty good, a little bit tart strawberry, but mostly sweet strawberry and refreshing green with a sassafras finish. My only complaint is that the sassafras is not stronger, but I am pretty sure most people who drink it are fine with the levels, I just really, really like sassafras. I have a sneaking suspicion that this tea will be a cold-steep staple for outings on hot days.

For blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/06/tea-box-express-june-box-tea.html

This blend is made up of green tea leaves, large pieces of dried strawberry, some kind of green twig and brown bark (which I’m assuming must be the sassafras), and small jewel-colored purple beets. I can smell the strawberry in both the dry mix and the steeped liquid. As was expected, the liquid took on a light shade of pink, almost a rosy peach, likely from the chopped beets. I can taste both the strawberry and the green tea and it’s very good.

Second Steep
8 ounces water + 175 degrees + 4 minutes

The color is still good on this second steep though the flavor is not as pronounced. The steeped leaves are also missing some of the fruity fragrance they carried in the first cup. There’s something different about this one, but I can’t place it. Maybe it’s the sassafras? I’ve never had it before so I’m not sure what it tastes like, but there’s almost a spiciness there.

Third Steep
8 ounces water + 175 degrees + 10 minutes, 30 seconds

Even on the third steep, this still has retained both its color and flavor. Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Green teas haven’t always been a go-to for me, but I could see myself drinking this often. I’ll be keeping it around I think.

Flavors: Strawberry