Creamy Toasted Coconut Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Tamarindel

• “Thanks so much for this one, Tamarindel! I HAD to try this one! A green oolong with fresh looking flakes of coconut, cocoa nibs and big pieces of vanilla I can see in the blend. Coconut,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry, the leaves smelled a bit like cinnamon. Steeped, they smelled like perfume, which gave me a bit of panic, since I really can’t take those perfumey teas. Happily, it doesn’t actually taste like...” Read full tasting note

From Simpson & Vail

A perfect tea for afternoon enjoyment! This delightfully light tea brews to an ecru color and has the taste of baked goodies with an undertone of an earthy oolong. The rich, exotic aroma is accompanied by the smooth, delicious taste of coconut macaroon with vanilla accents. Great hot or cold.

Ingredients: Oolong tea, cacao nibs organic, vanilla beans, organic coconut pieces, flavorings and blue cornflower petals.

Brew tea at 195º – steep for 4 minutes.

Certified Kosher

About Simpson & Vail View company

Thanks so much for this one, Tamarindel! I HAD to try this one! A green oolong with fresh looking flakes of coconut, cocoa nibs and big pieces of vanilla I can see in the blend. Coconut, chocolate, vanilla on an oolong base is unique enough to me! I used two teaspoons because there are a ton of goodies here mixed with the oolong leaves. The oolong is smooth and really hides behind so much coconut flavor! I really like the coconut flavor. However, the chocolate and vanilla is also hiding behind all that coconut. With the second steep, the coconut is a bit tamer and the oolong makes more of a presence, though still a smooth delicious green oolong — it seems like a buttery oolong more than any other flavor type. Love the buttery oolongs. The third steep still has a ton of coconut and is still very smooth, even while steeping at just boiled. This is excellent if you’re looking for a coconut oolong. Though the chocolate and vanilla are still missing (unless they just blend in so well it is tough to notice), so I will lower the rating without the balance of the chocolate and vanilla. A better balance between the ingredients and this would be a perfect blend.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 8 minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 14 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 70 seconds

Dry, the leaves smelled a bit like cinnamon. Steeped, they smelled like perfume, which gave me a bit of panic, since I really can’t take those perfumey teas. Happily, it doesn’t actually taste like perfume, but it definitely has some floral aspects. And I do taste a light spice note, though not cinnamon necessarily. I think it’s a reach to call this coconut, though. I get a tiny hint of coconut way in the background, but it is faint compared to all the other flavors.

Fjellrev

What a misleading name then. If something is supposed to have creamy, toasted coconut, damn straight I’m going to expect that rather than cinnamon and perfume.

Tamarindel

Yeah, it’s not a good approach to the flavor at all :( And then I ended up dumping the cup about half way through because the perfume notes started going to my head.