Huang Guanyin (Yellow Goddess) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Brown Sugar, Burnt, Butter, Clay, Mineral, Osmanthus, Plums, Resin, Roasted, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Dark Wood, Nectar, Oats, Peach, Sweet, Tobacco, Earth, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Toasty, Astringent, Bitter, Char, Nuts, Orange, Strawberry
Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “My five free samples from Teavivre came in the mail yesterday, and I was really craving a roasted oolong so I brewed this one up. The flavor is fairly nice. Mineral, red clay, roasted barley, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was a sample from a while ago, thanks Teavivre! Sadly not available on the website at the moment. Maybe because it is GOOD. These are the types of tea that I least enjoy, the roasted...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea was surprisingly nice. The leaves are frail with sweet roasted scents of caramel, roasted fruits, plum, and tobacco. I grabbed my wee lil jianshui and warmed it up. The sauna’d leaves give...” Read full tasting note
  • “Huang guan yin. (Yellow goddess) wuyi rock oolong tea. By Teavivre. Review: Ru Yao dragon teapot gongfucha. Dry leaf: honey, roasted. https://www.instagram.com/p/BPNq7Qtggg0/ Wet leaf: strong...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Xiaoqiao county, Jian’ou City, Fujian Province, China

Plucking Standard: One bud with three leaves

Dry leaf: Tightly twisted, bold, unbroken leaf with black bloom glossy

Aroma: Orchid fragrance

Liquor color: Bright orange color

Mouthfeel: Soft and smooth, with high fragrance, distinct sweet and slight roasted flavor.

Tea species: Huang Guanyin tea tree

Tea garden: Lan Gang Yan tea garden

Fermentation: Half fermented

Baking: Lightly roasted with charcoal fire for five times.

Caffeine Scale:Low caffeine (less than 20% of a cup of coffee)

This tea, baked with soft charcoal fire, combines moderate roasted flavor with high aroma, and is very suitable for tea lovers who prefer high-fragrance tea or want to try rock tea.

About Teavivre View company

My five free samples from Teavivre came in the mail yesterday, and I was really craving a roasted oolong so I brewed this one up. The flavor is fairly nice. Mineral, red clay, roasted barley, and ripe plum flavors with an unripe plum tang and astringency. Slightly burnt tasting though. The aroma however is awesome! My cha hai smells of osmanthus and daffodil flowers, burning candle warmth, and something being baked with lots of butter and brown sugar.

This is a nicely aromatic and economical Wuyi oolong with very “warm” tastes and aromas.

I do wish the roast was a little more subtle. I’ve read that a little aging can help heavily roasted oolongs to “calm down” a bit; perhaps this one would benefit from that.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt, Butter, Clay, Mineral, Osmanthus, Plums, Resin, Roasted

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
tanluwils

I don’t have experience aging Wuyis but have had very good results leaving an overly smoky dancong from YS in its bag for a year. The changes were dramatic. Too bad that tea is long gone!

Please keep things friendly and .

This was a sample from a while ago, thanks Teavivre! Sadly not available on the website at the moment. Maybe because it is GOOD. These are the types of tea that I least enjoy, the roasted oolong, but I should have known I would enjoy the leaf that Teavivre offers. The leaf here is dark brown and twisty with a fragrance of fresh hay. The flavor is mostly SWEET honey with hints of lemon and charcoal. So very sweet — another tea I could swear that has sugar in it. Two teaspoons is perfect for me, it isn’t overboard on the charcoal flavor that I don’t like. Just a hint of charcoal in this yellow cup! The second steep has even more of a fuller flavor with a little more charcoal, but it’s evenly balanced — I like the sweetness with the roastiness. I should have steeped this a third time but it was too late for caffeine. Charcoal teas are my least favorite tea but this is the best of this type of tea that I’ve tried. Teavivre is always fantastic. I’m always surprised by almost every Teavivre tea I’ve tried.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 18 minutes after boiling // rinse // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 13 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Harvest: 2016

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea was surprisingly nice. The leaves are frail with sweet roasted scents of caramel, roasted fruits, plum, and tobacco. I grabbed my wee lil jianshui and warmed it up. The sauna’d leaves give off distinct roasted oats, dark wood, and a burnt sugar aroma. I was really diggin this tea. I washed the leaves once and began my steepin. The taste was of sweet nectar with some mild roast underneath. The base was heavy brown sugar and a yielded a nice oily aftertaste. Also, I noted a hidden peach tone that peeped up later on. This was really good, and I liked this tea. The price is superb, and this makes a wonderful daily drinker.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Dark Wood, Nectar, Oats, Peach, Plums, Roasted, Sweet, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Huang guan yin. (Yellow goddess) wuyi rock oolong tea. By Teavivre.

Review:

Ru Yao dragon teapot gongfucha.

Dry leaf: honey, roasted.

Wet leaf: strong honey, slight roasted, floral.

1x short rinse.

Light steep: I taste/smell: (smell) slight —> toasty, roasted, fruity (peaches?) earth? (Taste) light -→ earth, toasty, roasted, fruity (peaches).

Medium steep; I taste/smell: (smell) slight —→ roasted, fruity (peach). (Taste) slight roasted/toasted (?). medium floral.

Heavy steep; I taste/smell: (smell) medium —> roasted, toasty. (Taste) strong -→ roasted/toasty, floral.

All in all a lovely tea. But since it’s a weird tasting roasted/toasty, plus there’s some astringency, I rate an 80.

Where to buy: http://www.teavivre.com/huang-guanyin-wuyi-rock-oolong-tea/

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Peach, Roasted, Toasty

200 °F / 93 °C 7 g 165 OZ / 4879 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Trying a sample of this for a late morning tea today (thanks for the sample, Angel!), 7g to 100ml in ruyao gaiwan, preheated and one rinse with boiling water in a thermos.

This starts off predominantly roasty, with a smooth, faint floral bitterness and a lingering roasted char aftertaste. Astringency starts to ramp hard as it opens up, but the roast turns nutty and a bit of light caramel sweetness enters center stage as well. A lingering sweet throat coating builds up over the steeps as well, adding to the dry feeling of the astringency.

Despite being a yancha, I didn’t taste any rocks until about steep 6, where a very clean mineral (rather than standard wet rocks) flavor emerged from the roast alongside more caramel sweetness. The astringency does die down again around this point as well, but it’s pretty prominent throughout the session. The flavor profile is a bit strong on the roast, but it does have some nice flavors throughout, particularly at the beginning with that odd combination of lightly bitter florals that I found refreshing in mouthfeel and taste.

Overall, I thought it wasn’t bad, but too astringent for my liking, something that was improved as my water cooled, so perhaps I will try this with cooler water next time, especially as the lid had an amazing floral sweet roast aroma that wasn’t reflected in the tea. The liquor in the cup also seemed to sweeten and mellow as it cooled, so something to consider. It lasts about 8 steeps before it begins to die, which is pretty good, and a good amount of get up and go for the morning.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Caramel, Char, Floral, Nuts, Roasted

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This tea is a dark oolong that is amber in color with a fruity mineral aroma. It is light and fruity with flavors of oranges, kiwi, and strawberry. It also has a that mineral flavor you get with Wuyi rock tea. This would be a great tea to have with breakfast.

Flavors: Mineral, Orange, Strawberry

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

First review! I haven’t been the first review in a while! Then again, I haven’t written a review in a while haha :) well no time like the present! A huge thank you to Angel at Teavivre for so kindly sending me a bunch of new tea samples!! This is the first of the bunch that I am trying out, and it is a perfect day for a roasty oolong, lightly snowing, miserably cold wind, and very grey out. Time for hot tea!

The dry smell of this tea is lovely, man I haven’t had an oolong in a while, and this one is definitely orchid-like and toasty. I steeped it for roughly 3 mins Western style with boiling water. The steeped aroma is SO LOVELY! It reminds me of my favorite roasted oolong from Verdant that I haven’t had in ages..what was it even called..Mi Lan Xiang Phoenix oolong. This one is a bit different though, the toasted smell is a bit stronger, and the rocky mineral notes are also there. It smells so yummy, like I should be in a tranquil waterfall cave drinking this tea :). Oh, the color is a light orange color too, very pleasing.

As for the flavor, mmmm is this ever good. It’s so very light, the mineral notes are there but quite faint, it is floral and delicious, with a sweetness that lingers almost like a mild ginseng. It’s juicy and a bit toasty. It’s really good! Wow it’s been a while since I’ve had a toasted oolong, I missed it. I was reading that this is kind of like a Tie Guan Yin like rock oolong, and I can definitely see that, it is lighter and creamier than previous ones I’ve had, and the orchid floral notes much more pronounced as in a Tie guan yin. I bet I could even convince my boyfriend to try this toasted oolong, and he really only drinks tie guan yin haha.

Overall, a very relaxing, lightly creamy, and deliciously floral tea. Smooth and serene, I am transported to a waterfall cascading down rocks with spring flowers blooming amongst the moss above. I am feeling poetic today :D