Huang Guanyin (Yellow Goddess) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Dark Chocolate, Floral, Grain, Pepper, Tobacco, Bitter, Roasted, Wood, Flowers, Toast, Almond, Apricot, Malt, Mineral, Rose, Brown Sugar, Burnt, Butter, Clay, Osmanthus, Plums, Resin, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Dark Wood, Nectar, Oats, Peach, Sweet, Earth, Fruity, Honey, Toasty, Astringent, Char, Nuts, Orange, Strawberry
Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 1 min, 0 sec 6 g 36 oz / 1059 ml

• “This is an intensely fragrant tea, smelling like very dark chocolate and flowers. The taste is, for the most part, very different from the dry aroma: roasted, charcoal, and tobacco flavors mixed...” Read full tasting note
  • “151/365 I love this one, entirely unexpectedly. It’s not really like any oolong I’ve tried before, tasting mostly like brown sugar with the tiniest hint of wet wood and a background hint of...” Read full tasting note
  • “A good base to enter the family of rock tea, not very pronounced with a slight torefaction, tea that on the whole and quite round in the mouth. roast, light bitterness, mellow, round, tobacco,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, the smell is good, very good actually. The appearance is promising too: it looks like a typical rock oolong with coal-black fat leaves. But the smell what is the best about this tea: very...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Xiaoqiao county, Jian’ou City, Fujian Province, China

Plucking Standard: One bud with three leaves

Dry leaf: Tightly twisted, bold, unbroken leaf with black bloom glossy

Aroma: Orchid fragrance

Liquor color: Bright orange color

Mouthfeel: Soft and smooth, with high fragrance, distinct sweet and slight roasted flavor.

Tea species: Huang Guanyin tea tree

Tea garden: Lan Gang Yan tea garden

Fermentation: Half fermented

Baking: Lightly roasted with charcoal fire for five times.

Caffeine Scale:Low caffeine (less than 20% of a cup of coffee)

This tea, baked with soft charcoal fire, combines moderate roasted flavor with high aroma, and is very suitable for tea lovers who prefer high-fragrance tea or want to try rock tea.

About Teavivre View company

This is an intensely fragrant tea, smelling like very dark chocolate and flowers. The taste is, for the most part, very different from the dry aroma: roasted, charcoal, and tobacco flavors mixed with savory grains, plus a mild sharpness at the back of my throat that reminds me of black pepper. Sometimes I get some fruity notes out of this tea, but not this time. The mouthfeel starts out thick and sticks to the back of my throat, but it gets thin fairly quickly and starts feeling more rough and roasty. Early infusions have a minty cooling sensation in the finish that I usually only get in green oolongs. It’s still present in later infusions, but it’s more subtle.

I have mixed feelings about this tea. I prefer oolongs that are roasted but don’t actually smell or taste very roasty, so I’m not a fan of how dominant the roast notes are here, and the mouthfeel thins out a little too quickly. I was also disappointed when I got this that nothing I did produced tea with a taste or aroma that compared to that of the dry leaves. However, I have had good sessions with this tea, when it tastes sweeter and more fruity. If you like roasty tasting oolongs, this is a good value, but it’s not really my kind of tea.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Floral, Grain, Pepper, Tobacco

derk

Sounds similar to my experience with huang guan yin and also a jin mu dan from a different vendor. Can’t say I enjoy those cultivars.

RyanG

I haven’t had a lot of Wuyi oolongs, so I don’t have opinions on cultivars yet. Honestly, the other ones I’ve had weren’t much better. I don’t know if I just don’t like Wuyi oolongs or if I would need to try a higher quality one to understand them.

151/365

I love this one, entirely unexpectedly. It’s not really like any oolong I’ve tried before, tasting mostly like brown sugar with the tiniest hint of wet wood and a background hint of charcoal. It has a pleasing caramel smoothness, and is nowhere near as mineral as I was expecting given that it’s a rock oolong. It reminds me most of some of the more upmarket roasted oolongs I’ve tried from LP’s group buys, although the flavour profile is unique even by those standards.

The sweetness develops as this one cools, so it tastes almost like brown sugar spooned straight from a fresh bag. It overtakes the woody smokiness completely, but there’s also the beginnings of a menthol-like coolness in the aftertaste – not super powerful, but there nonetheless.

I’m impressed with this one – unique and delicious!

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

roast, light bitterness, mellow, round, tobacco, toast, something that evokes heat, plus a flowering touch as a last infusion.

Gongfucha 100°c 8 infu 5/10/15/20/30 Secondes, 1/2/4 min

Flavors: Flowers, Roasted, Toast

Well, the smell is good, very good actually. The appearance is promising too: it looks like a typical rock oolong with coal-black fat leaves. But the smell what is the best about this tea: very intense, malty, baked bread with the strong notes of rose and sweet fruit like apricots. And all of these fragrances blend together extremely well. It feels good just to savor the smell: it is so uplifting and comforting. This tea is a pick-me-up-when-I’m-down kind for me.

That is another way to say that the taste is not nearly that remarkable: the pale yellow-orange liquid has as the main component maltiness, mineral and some lingering rather sophisticated bitterness. It is the kind of tea that you have stop whatever you are doing and pay your full and undivided attention to get all the nuances besides the maltiness , which makes it a tea for special moods: quite contemplation, wakefulness, introspection.

A good tea but not for everyone and not for every day.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Bitter, Malt, Mineral, Rose

My five free samples from Teavivre came in the mail yesterday, and I was really craving a roasted oolong so I brewed this one up. The flavor is fairly nice. Mineral, red clay, roasted barley, and ripe plum flavors with an unripe plum tang and astringency. Slightly burnt tasting though. The aroma however is awesome! My cha hai smells of osmanthus and daffodil flowers, burning candle warmth, and something being baked with lots of butter and brown sugar.

This is a nicely aromatic and economical Wuyi oolong with very “warm” tastes and aromas.

I do wish the roast was a little more subtle. I’ve read that a little aging can help heavily roasted oolongs to “calm down” a bit; perhaps this one would benefit from that.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt, Butter, Clay, Mineral, Osmanthus, Plums, Resin, Roasted

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
tanluwils

I don’t have experience aging Wuyis but have had very good results leaving an overly smoky dancong from YS in its bag for a year. The changes were dramatic. Too bad that tea is long gone!

This was a sample from a while ago, thanks Teavivre! Sadly not available on the website at the moment. Maybe because it is GOOD. These are the types of tea that I least enjoy, the roasted oolong, but I should have known I would enjoy the leaf that Teavivre offers. The leaf here is dark brown and twisty with a fragrance of fresh hay. The flavor is mostly SWEET honey with hints of lemon and charcoal. So very sweet — another tea I could swear that has sugar in it. Two teaspoons is perfect for me, it isn’t overboard on the charcoal flavor that I don’t like. Just a hint of charcoal in this yellow cup! The second steep has even more of a fuller flavor with a little more charcoal, but it’s evenly balanced — I like the sweetness with the roastiness. I should have steeped this a third time but it was too late for caffeine. Charcoal teas are my least favorite tea but this is the best of this type of tea that I’ve tried. Teavivre is always fantastic. I’m always surprised by almost every Teavivre tea I’ve tried.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// 18 minutes after boiling // rinse // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 13 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Harvest: 2016

This tea was surprisingly nice. The leaves are frail with sweet roasted scents of caramel, roasted fruits, plum, and tobacco. I grabbed my wee lil jianshui and warmed it up. The sauna’d leaves give off distinct roasted oats, dark wood, and a burnt sugar aroma. I was really diggin this tea. I washed the leaves once and began my steepin. The taste was of sweet nectar with some mild roast underneath. The base was heavy brown sugar and a yielded a nice oily aftertaste. Also, I noted a hidden peach tone that peeped up later on. This was really good, and I liked this tea. The price is superb, and this makes a wonderful daily drinker.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Dark Wood, Nectar, Oats, Peach, Plums, Roasted, Sweet, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

Huang guan yin. (Yellow goddess) wuyi rock oolong tea. By Teavivre.

Review:

Ru Yao dragon teapot gongfucha.

Dry leaf: honey, roasted.

Wet leaf: strong honey, slight roasted, floral.

1x short rinse.

Light steep: I taste/smell: (smell) slight —> toasty, roasted, fruity (peaches?) earth? (Taste) light -→ earth, toasty, roasted, fruity (peaches).

Medium steep; I taste/smell: (smell) slight —→ roasted, fruity (peach). (Taste) slight roasted/toasted (?). medium floral.

Heavy steep; I taste/smell: (smell) medium —> roasted, toasty. (Taste) strong -→ roasted/toasty, floral.

All in all a lovely tea. But since it’s a weird tasting roasted/toasty, plus there’s some astringency, I rate an 80.

Where to buy: http://www.teavivre.com/huang-guanyin-wuyi-rock-oolong-tea/

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Peach, Roasted, Toasty

200 °F / 93 °C 7 g 165 OZ / 4879 ML

Trying a sample of this for a late morning tea today (thanks for the sample, Angel!), 7g to 100ml in ruyao gaiwan, preheated and one rinse with boiling water in a thermos.

This starts off predominantly roasty, with a smooth, faint floral bitterness and a lingering roasted char aftertaste. Astringency starts to ramp hard as it opens up, but the roast turns nutty and a bit of light caramel sweetness enters center stage as well. A lingering sweet throat coating builds up over the steeps as well, adding to the dry feeling of the astringency.

Despite being a yancha, I didn’t taste any rocks until about steep 6, where a very clean mineral (rather than standard wet rocks) flavor emerged from the roast alongside more caramel sweetness. The astringency does die down again around this point as well, but it’s pretty prominent throughout the session. The flavor profile is a bit strong on the roast, but it does have some nice flavors throughout, particularly at the beginning with that odd combination of lightly bitter florals that I found refreshing in mouthfeel and taste.

Overall, I thought it wasn’t bad, but too astringent for my liking, something that was improved as my water cooled, so perhaps I will try this with cooler water next time, especially as the lid had an amazing floral sweet roast aroma that wasn’t reflected in the tea. The liquor in the cup also seemed to sweeten and mellow as it cooled, so something to consider. It lasts about 8 steeps before it begins to die, which is pretty good, and a good amount of get up and go for the morning.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Caramel, Char, Floral, Nuts, Roasted

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This tea is a dark oolong that is amber in color with a fruity mineral aroma. It is light and fruity with flavors of oranges, kiwi, and strawberry. It also has a that mineral flavor you get with Wuyi rock tea. This would be a great tea to have with breakfast.

Flavors: Mineral, Orange, Strawberry