Qilan Wuyi Oolong

Oolong Tea
Almond, Char, Cinnamon, Cream, Earth, Fruity, Ginger, Grass, Leather, Mineral, Moss, Narcissus, Orchid, Pastries, Pine, Popcorn, Raspberry, Sugar, Vanilla, Vegetal, Wet Rocks, Floral, Honey, Flowers, Spicy, Tart, Green, Roasted, Caramel, Wood, Nuts, Smooth, Sweet, Toast
Edit tea info Last updated by Peter

2 Images

From Verdant Tea

Direct-sourced from the Li Family in Xing Village, this luscious Qilan is thrillingly green and juicy with a tart, lingering aftertaste . . .

We are extremely proud and excited to introduce the Li family of Xing Village through their luscious Qilan varietal Wuyi Oolong. Qilan varietal teas usually have more sweet floral nuance than other Wuyi oolongs. The Li family has roasted this tea with tender care and precision – preserving the greener natural notes of the tea.

The wet leaf aroma is reminiscent of spiced eggnog, and tart like Rhubarb crumble. The early steepings are thrillingly green, juicy and thick like honey. As the tea continues to steep out, the body builds up, and hints at flaky vanilla pastry with the aftertaste of raw cacao nibs or cherry. The honey sweetness grows into a rice milk horchata flavor, and tart plantain aftertaste.

About Verdant Tea View company

From the November Classic Club box…

Creamy, floral, dark, vaguely fruity, full bodied, and kind of bitter is how I would describe this tea. Definitely drinkable but I strongly preferred the Dancong. This is not one of my favorite type of oolong, BUT it is nice to drink something different and since BrewTEAlly Sweet and I split the box I don’t have a whole lot to sip through….sadly the same with the Dancong though :P

BrewTEAlly Sweet

I’m currently drinking this one:) for once I’m getting to my club samples!! :)

I wanted to love this tea so bad!!! “Reminiscent of spices eggnog”!!! “Thick like honey” “flaky vanilla pastry” “rice milk horchata flavor”?!!! I want!!! I love love love horchata and flaky pastry and this time of year… EGG NOG!! I only got 2 steeps out of this today. I will save for tomorrow and take it a little further in search of all those notes!! I’m on a mission! The two steeps I did get around to I did get a juicy floral green, a little astringent, tart too. Oh please tea gods bring me that richness this tea is destined for!
I do have exciting news!!!!
I used my brand new DAVIDsTEA Steeper from the oh so generous MissB. I am in love! I love his little guy! It has changed my tea life!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

This tea was a gorgeous blue almost purple hue! I loved it! So I had to take a picture!

I was hoping the after math would be that beautiful hue as well but not the case:(

Until tomorrow my tea friend! I can’t wait!

Bonnie

Looks a little underleafed maybe to me. Nice brewer.

Stephanie

I am eager to see what you think of the Dancong :)

BrewTEAlly Sweet

@Bonnie: It’s a tablespoon and a half for 10 oz… How much do you use? It didn’t taste weak… Just not ripened or awakened yet… Ha ha
@Stephanie: I’ll make that my mission for tomorrow:) I’ll bring the laoshan black to work and save that one for after work:)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

If you do a quick pan-fire a dancong oolong on a medium heat skillet (very quickly, moving it around a lot so not to burn it) it will awaken the flavors and result in a much better brew. Try that next time just prior to brewing it :)

How neat! Thanks!

Bonnie

It just looked like hardly any leaves in your brewer. Might be the picture angle. You should be using about 6grams for 10oz water.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

These lighter roasted oolongs are hard to figure out for sure! If you have a gaiwan, I’d highly recommend that. I’ve never been able to enjoy them very well western style.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Wow interesting! Thank you! And I wish I had a gaiwan!!!! Maybe a really awesome rustic one or unique one will fine me someday :)

Stephanie

I will try in gaiwan next time! I love my new one from Butiki teas :)

Ya ya ^ show off :p

Hehehe :)

Bonnie

Look on YouTube for how to use a mug or teacup as a gaiwan. It’s easy to do with a saucer and another cup to pour tea into. Think of the principle and replicate it.

I drank this over the afternoon, & although I enjoyed it, I don’t really have anything to share. It was tasty, building up to a sweet kind of creamy vanilla mouth, & some fruitiness. I don’t know what else to say, but luckily I have enough to drink it again, so hopefully next time I’ll have more to comment on.

This came as a sample in my recent Verdant order! Actually on the bag it says “Wuyi Qilan Oolong”, but when I searched the website (including out of stock and archived blends) I could only find reference to this name so I shall put my tasting note here.

I actually weighed out my tea for this one to 3.6 oz. in my 15 oz. mug. I did this first steep for 1 minute, and I’ll try to update with subsequent steeps.

This tea is quite rich. I’m finding it almost filling.

Second steep 2 minutes. Still plenty of flavour.

First Gongfu brewing in a few months (!). I have been busy, what can I say.
This is also a sip down of a sample from Verdant.
I wish that I chosen a different tea to drink now. It was somehow unsatisfying for the mood I was in – I should have picked something more roasted. I don’t much like Wuyi oolongs, and this teas floral notes in the first and second steepings, and its somewhat flat flavor made me not want to keep on steeping to a third.
No eggnog, no pastry, no vanilla, cacao, and although this tea is sweet, it has none of the depth of honey.
I think I have some more stashed somewhere, so I may give it a try again in the future. But this is not a tea that I’m going to run out and buy. If you like “green”, floral oolongs, try this tea (even though it looks and is roasted, it doesn’t taste like a roasted oolong).
Off to dinner with a friend.

(this is where i jokingly say…green! floral! oolong! my favourites!) not lol :)

But on another note – Greg at Norbu is awesome! It’s too much tea to get him to look about getting the Lao…. we’d have to buy a kilo, and that’s more tea than anyone needs, even split. BUT he did offer to send me a sample of the ruby black as that’s the most comparable :) so yay for that! thanks again for the heads up on the sale…excited to get my little order!

I just wrote a tasting note for this tea, but something happened with my internet and I lost it. I really don’t want to write it again… so to summarize, I had two cups of this and didn’t find either of them all that eventful. The scent of the tea was rather nice: floral and sweet. I could mostly taste the flowers with a hint of astringency, but no fruit or vanilla. The second cup was more like perfume than the first, but the astringency balanced out the flowers so I didn’t get a headache (sometimes super floral teas are too much and make me feel sick). I wouldn’t turn down this tea, but there are so many oolongs that are much more delicious.

Pleasant, but nothing that stands out in particular. Floral (but not overwhelmingly so), juicy, and sweet-ish with a hint of tartness. I think I prefer the second steep overall.

This is Qilan WuYi Oolong from Verdant Tea. I had the pleasure to try this tea during Verdant’s Saturday Night Tea Lounge Gongfu Cha yesterday. It was amazing, a tea I fell in love with at first sip. I knew after just one cup that I needed to buy this tea, no matter what the cost. It is now my all time favorite tea, truly a masterpiece. The dry leaves are loosely rolled, large, dark and green. They have a distinct orchard scent, that becomes clear as plum after the first sip of the light liquor. It has a slight acidity to it, although not unpleasant. The tartness plays well with the rich plum flavor. It is smooth and silky, with little astringency and no bitterness. As steepings progress, plum flavors get replaced with perfect smokiness and greenness. I bought an ounce of this tea for $9.35 right away, it will be a tea I pull out only on special occasions with friends who can fully appreciate this delicious work of art.

One thing I enjoy doing perhaps a bit more than I should is buying Wuyi oolongs, trying them, and then hanging on to them for an extended period of time to see how the roast settles. Unfortunately, I sometimes forget about teas and they end up in a tote or at the back of one of my tea cabinets just waiting to be cracked open and sampled. Such was the case with this tea. I bought this and the 2016 Qilan Light Roast at the same time, drank the other, and then shelved this one. I discovered it late last week, and since I had not consumed any Wuyi oolongs this month, I decided to focus my energies on it. What I found was utterly delightful. The tea was super mellow, the roast was nice and focused, and it had a wonderful, lasting complexity.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a quick rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 205 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 subsequent infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 8 seconds, 11 seconds, 14 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 32 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and 5 minutes. Yeah, I decided to play around a bit with my preparation.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of char, orchid, ginger, cinnamon, and berries. After the rinse, I found a stronger orchid aroma coupled with hints of narcissus, wood, vanilla, and vegetal impressions. The first infusion brought out a little more vegetal character on the nose. In the mouth, I found notes of orchid and narcissus up front that soon gave way to smooth notes of cream, vanilla, and fruit chased by touches of char and a rather grassy, vegetal impression. Subsequent infusions brought out stronger notes of cream, char, and vanilla. I also began to find impressions of leather, cinnamon, ginger, pastry, pine, moss, grass, minerals, roasted almond, aloe, rock sugar, wet stones, and sweet, jammy fruit notes that rather reminded me of a combination of red currant, gooseberry, and black raspberry. The tea grew woodier, more vegetal, and somewhat earthy as it went, though it never quite lost its fruity, savory, floral, and nutty qualities. The later infusions emphasized notes of minerals, earth, pine wood, cream, and wet stones that were balanced by a belatedly emerging popcorn hull note as well as impressions of flowers and roasted almond.

This was a very nice tea with surprising depth, complexity, and longevity. I also dug its mellow, sneaky energy. That’s one thing I adore about Wuyi oolongs. They almost always give me a little pick-me-up, a slight boost in alertness, but they never seem to make me jittery or cause insomnia. I ended a day with a lengthy gongfu session of this tea and still slept well. That meant a lot to me. Anyway, back on track, this was a very good oolong. I can’t say much more than that.

Flavors: Almond, Char, Cinnamon, Cream, Earth, Fruity, Ginger, Grass, Leather, Mineral, Moss, Narcissus, Orchid, Pastries, Pine, Popcorn, Raspberry, Sugar, Vanilla, Vegetal, Wet Rocks

205 °F / 96 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
lteg

The 2017 harvest of this is on my backlog after I picked some up on black friday. Looking forward to giving it a try and seeing how it compares to your impressions of the 2016! Sounds like a good one :)

eastkyteaguy

Iteg, one thing I can tell you I’m finding about Wuyi oolongs is that they generally age well. If what I have read is true, then collectors will often wait anywhere from 6 months to 2 years for roasts to settle. There is certainly nothing wrong with trying them fresh, but sometimes a tea that seems a little much fresh turns into something wonderful a year or two down the road. I had that experience recently with Verdant’s Tie Luohan. I picked up some of the 2016 harvest immediately before it went out of stock and was kind of put off by it, but I cracked it open again yesterday and was floored. Also, a 2016 Huang Guan Yin and a 2016 Chun Lan I bought from Yunnan Sourcing US around the start of the year are starting to soften and develop some nice nuances. I hope you enjoy the Qilan. It’s a cultivar that I have seen snobbishly written off by many as a casual drinker’s tea, a beginner’s tea, or as a cheap alternative to some of the other cultivars, but I think it has a lot to offer in its own right.

lteg

I didn’t realize that — that’s great to know. I actually wasn’t super impressed by the 2017 Tie Luohan, so maybe I’ll let the remainder rest and come back to it later.

The tea has a rich aroma (there is a lot of going on, including mineral, earth, flowers, and apricot) and a very nice colored liquor. The taste is complex although not intense.The aftertaste is long and pleasant. It is a very nice oolong indeed.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Mineral