Huang Mei Gui

Oolong Tea
Char, Corn Husk, Earth, Floral, Jasmine, Leather, Mineral, Orange, Plums, Rose, Tobacco, Vegetal, Orange Zest, Creamy, Roasted, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jim Marks

• “Yesterday I polished of the last of the Mei Zhan that has been gracing my tea cupboard for awhile. Today I’m working on the Huang Mei Gui. I am a big fan of Li Xianxi’s Oolongs, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve enjoyed these Wuyis from Verdant, they are well made teas with fine structure, well balanced roasting, and processing. But I find them all too the same. This one has all the nice...” Read full tasting note
  • “After focusing on unflavored black teas for the past couple of days, I wanted to shake things up a bit. It had been awhile since I had reviewed an oolong, so I was kind of in the mood to do that,...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is a dark oolong with an amber color and a roasted floral aroma. It tastes of orange zest and roses with a light roasted quality and Wuyi minerality to the aftertaste. I am not the...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

Huang Mei Gui is an intriguing varietal that Li Xiangxi is excited to share with us in celebration of the opening of her new tea ceremony school. The Li Family’s careful roasting brings out the wonderful balance of floral and savory that this varietal exemplifies. The earthy notes of taro and sweet corn meld with rose and jasmine in a way reminiscent of Turkish Delight candies.

About Verdant Tea View company

Yesterday I polished of the last of the Mei Zhan that has been gracing my tea cupboard for awhile. Today I’m working on the Huang Mei Gui. I am a big fan of Li Xianxi’s Oolongs, and Fujian teas in general, so it is no surprise that I’m enjoying cup after cup. I tend to prefer the roastier oolongs over the greener ones, just as I prefer Black tea over green, however there are exceptions all around, and of course, when it comes down to it, I love drinking tea, any variety, as long as it’s of good quality and free of BS flavorings.

I’m currently on the 3rd round, and my overall impressions are Rose & Jasmine (more rose than jasmine), orange peel, charcoal, caramelized stone fruit, and a heady floral incense overall. The corn and taro references were present in the first round, which have gratefully faded, as those were the least desirable features for me personally. This tea leaves a lingering bright sensation in the soft palate, a earthier thick chocolate sensation (not taste) on the tongue, and a decent head buzz. It’s also kind of tangy, which brings to mind an ensemble of double reeds: Bassoons, Oboes, English horn, various woodblocks, some tinkly percussion, a gong, and Guzheng, a chinese Zither, a harp related instrument that I’d like to have someday :) Although I guess I can probably do anything on the harp that can be done on a Guzheng, still…
Here’s a link, if you’d like to hear one. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujzMHLac404

I’ve enjoyed these Wuyis from Verdant, they are well made teas with fine structure, well balanced roasting, and processing. But I find them all too the same. This one has all the nice features of Wuyi but I did not freak on the florals which this tea builds its reputation on, it is also not that longlasting either in the mouth or in the steeps. Yet it is good tea

Daylon R Thomas

I’ve wanted to try their green oolongs, but the descriptions really did not represent a lot of variety, nor was I impressed by the Tie Guan Yin’s they offer.

After focusing on unflavored black teas for the past couple of days, I wanted to shake things up a bit. It had been awhile since I had reviewed an oolong, so I was kind of in the mood to do that, but I did not want an oolong that I had tried before. Enter this Huang Mei Gui from Verdant Tea. First, I absolutely adore Wuyi oolongs, so naturally, this would appeal to me. Second, Huang Mei Gui (Yellow Rose) is a newish tea cultivar that is not all that well known in the West and I had never tried an oolong of this type before. Doing a session with this tea was a no-brainer.

I prepared this tea gongu style. Following a quick rinse, I steeped 5 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 208 F water for 5 seconds. This was followed by 11 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 8 seconds, 11 seconds, 14 seconds, 17 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted a wonderfully floral, fruity aroma with touches of earth and vegetables. After the rinse, I detected a strong aroma of jasmine, as well as aromas of earth, char, plums, and roasted vegetables. In the mouth, I easily detected notes of roasted vegetables, earth, tobacco, char, leather, and plums. Oddly, I did not get much of a floral presence in the mouth. The expected Wuyi minerality was also subtler than anticipated. Subsequent infusions saw the floral character emerge in a big way. Jasmine came first, but was soon followed by a touch of rose as the earthier and more roasted qualities started to take a back seat. The mineral note began to emerge more at this point. Touches of corn husk and orange peel also began to emerge. By the time I got to the last infusions, the minerals dominated, though I could still detect faint impressions of corn husk, flowers, roasted vegetables, orange peel, and plums.

This was one of the stranger oolongs I have tried over the course of the year. It was not unpleasant by any means, just odd. The combination of vegetal, earthy, fruity, and floral qualities was really unexpected. I did not expect it to work at all. I was constantly waiting for the tea to turn unpleasant, but it never did. I do feel that it faded maybe an infusion or two sooner than I would have liked, but still, this was far from a bad experience. I kind of hope to try a version with a somewhat lighter roast some day. I am curious as to how a slightly greener version of this tea would smell and taste. In the end, I would recommend this tea to open-minded oolong drinkers wanting to try something a little different.

Flavors: Char, Corn Husk, Earth, Floral, Jasmine, Leather, Mineral, Orange, Plums, Rose, Tobacco, Vegetal

Boiling 5 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

This tea is a dark oolong with an amber color and a roasted floral aroma. It tastes of orange zest and roses with a light roasted quality and Wuyi minerality to the aftertaste. I am not the biggest fan of fruitiness in my tea so this is not in my wheelhouse, but it is a decent cup of tea.

Flavors: Orange Zest, Rose

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

4g 195F dry leaf smell sweet, roasted
30s- taste sweet, creamy. 45s- still sweet, little roasted taste. 1 min- sweet and savory. Delicate taste.

Flavors: Creamy, Roasted, Sweet

More hybrid steeping of TotM wuyi oolongs.

But I’m back in Houston now, so this is the last of these, and in fact, I actually drank this tea over the weekend.

The write-up is right-on. Big roast, big floral.

I’m looking forward to deciding which of these new wuyi to work into my standard rotation of daily drinkers.

Flavors: Floral, Mineral, Roasted