Autumn Laoshan Green (2017)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
175 °F / 79 °C 8 oz / 236 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Back into my 5g sample box. Brewed this 2 different ways today, grandpa for me and twice western for the partner in crime while I stole some sips for tasting notes. This tea doesn’t hold up to...” Read full tasting note

From Verdant Tea

This harvest is picked in the cool autumn air after resting the plant through summer. The result is crisp, fresh flavor with more savory green bean and cream that Laoshan for which Laoshan is famous. The He Family’s plants are recovering from the bitter cold of early 2016, and this years harvests are sweeter for it. The He family’s signature green tea is fed by mountain spring water, picked by hand, and cultivated sustainably using traditional chemical-free farming techniques.

About Verdant Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

twice western for the partner in crime while I stole some sips for tasting notes. This tea doesn’t hold up to grandpa style as well as western. Grandpa numbed my tastebuds for some reason. Western had a clearer aroma and taste and greater longevity. The second round of western was more experimental in which I purposefully let it overbrew and used 190F in a few steeps since I was making a baozhong oolong for myself. Neither long steep times nor high temp killed the tea.

Noted below is the first round I brewed western style since that’s what I preferred.

1 tsp, 8oz, 175F, 1/1.5/2min

Dry leaf is yellowish-brown-green and smells like cashew, white sesame and whipped cream… I think. (Will I ever be able to train my nose and palate to green teas?) First and second steeps smelled really good and savory. They had the pungency of a nut butter, like tahini mixed with some cashew. The taste was similar with the addition of a light sweetness, marigold and edamame (Verdant noted both, I’m not sure I would’ve picked up on those otherwise) and an aftertaste of sweet cream. The liquor was kind of thick and creamy. Easy to drink quickly. Third steep thinned in aroma and mouthfeel and tasted like freshly fallen autumn leaves and marigold.

I’d say this autumn harvest is worth a try. FWIW, the partner in crime is willing to sell somebody else’s belongings to acquire more.

175 °F / 79 °C 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML