China Zhejiang Wild-Growing Dragon Well 'Long Jing' Green Tea

Green Tea
Astringent, Grass, Hay, Creamy, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet, Thick, Vegetal, Fruity, Peas, Soybean, Asparagus, Butter, Chestnut, Cream, Malt, Mineral, Oats, Squash Blossom, Green
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

From What-Cha

A wild-growing tea picked from a tea field abandoned over 30 years ago in the high mountains at an altitude in excess of 1300m. The tea has a wonderful aroma and brilliant nutty taste.

About What-Cha View company

Bit of a gateway for me. The first tea I tried after reading the faq on reddit/r/tea, linked articles and finding a supplier. At first it just tasted like astringency and chlorophyll. It took a little time for my head to adjust to the tastes of teas. Then suddenly I got tastes of hay and meadow scents and huge refreshment. Hooked me.

Flavors: Astringent, Grass, Hay

I’ve had this Western style and am now trying it grandpa style while I frantically try to finish a crazy writing project. It’s got a nice strong veggie flavor this way, and isn’t getting too bitter. I’m still not in love with green tea in general, and I’m not sure I’ll reorder this, but it is a good tea to keep me company on my late nights.

Sipping down this sample received from a tea friend this morning. I was planning to drink it grandpa style but couldn’t get the leaves to sink and didn’t feel like filtering them with my teeth, so it ended up being western style instead, which was still quite enjoyable.

Nutty with underlying vegetal notes and a nice viscosity. This was from last year’s harvest, so I’m really interested in knowing what it tastes like fresher, as it’s still quite good now.

Flavors: Creamy, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet, Thick, Vegetal

Totally changed my mind about Dragonwell. It is unlike anything I have ever had. Really great.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Redstix

I really like dragon well, but haven’t tried this one. Based on your review I have to give this a try.

I normally don’t get too excited about dragon well, but this one really made me sit up and pay attention.

I steeped 1g of leaves grandpa style in a tall glass teapot. The dry leaf greets you with a wonderful aroma of roasted vegetables. The taste is a medley of green veggies. I picked out notes of snap pea, edamame, and green beans. It’s nutty, but not overly so and has a juicy, thick mouthfeel. There’s a depth of flavor here you don’t usually see in dragon wells, which tend to be subtler than other green teas.

The longevity of this tea is remarkable. I started brewing with 175 F water and due to laziness didn’t bother reheating the water when refilling yet it maintained a robust flavor and the cooler temperature brought out more sweetness.

I was a bit apprehensive about ordering this tea because dragon wells are usually best when fresh and this was already several months old. However the flavor was still spectacular. I can only imagine how amazing it must have tasted when the tea was freshly harvested in the spring.

Flavors: Fruity, Nutty, Peas, Soybean

175 °F / 79 °C 1 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I just had to get in another sample sipdown today. This was another mini sample I received with a recent What-Cha order. Prior to this, I had never tried one of their green teas. This one convinced me that I should perhaps focus on more of Alistair’s green offerings in the future.

I did not do anything fancy with this tea. Though I have gotten strong results from gongfuing teas like this in the past, I opted for my trusty old Western two step for this one. I started by steeping 3 grams of loose tea leaves in 8 ounces of 176 F water for 2 minutes. This infusion was followed by a 3 minute infusion in the same amount of water at the same temperature.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves emitted pleasant aromas of grass, hay, chestnut, and soybean. After infusion, the light yellow tea liquor produced stronger aromas of grass, hay, chestnut, and soybean underscored by malt, squash blossom, and asparagus. In the mouth, it was easy for me to pick up on a lovely mix of grass, hay, soybean, chestnut, squash blossom, oat, malt, cream, butter, and asparagus notes. The second infusion continued to emphasize chestnut, grass, and vegetables on the nose, though here there was less of an impression of hay and squash blossom and more butter, oats, and malt with a hint of minerals. In the mouth, the liquor displayed smooth notes of butter, cream, malt, oats, grass, chestnut, asparagus, and soybean with a hint of minerals toward the finish.

Dragon Well is perhaps my favorite type of green tea. Though I have gotten away from it recently, it was so nice to come back to a tea like this. It was a very pleasant, straight-forward drinking experience. What I got on the nose, I also got in the mouth. Though it may not have packed any surprises or detours, it would have been foolish to expect a tea like this to provide such experiences. As Dragon Well teas go, this one is quite nice. I think fans of such teas would get a kick out of it.

Flavors: Asparagus, Butter, Chestnut, Cream, Grass, Hay, Malt, Mineral, Oats, Soybean, Squash Blossom

2 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
eastkyteaguy

ADDENDUM: After I finished this review, I still hadn’t thrown out the leaves. I sniffed them out of curiosity and they smelled like they had more to offer, so I upped the water temperature to 180 F and steeped them for 3.5 minutes just to see what would happen. This infusion turned out delicately grassy, malty, and nutty with less distinctive vegetable impressions and more of a mineral presence.

There is an immediate burst of rich nuttiness as the thick, brothy liquor coats the mouth, followed by a sweet vegetal flavor that takes over and gradually reveals an unexpected floral note. This is the first Dragon Well that has truly impressed me. It is bold, smooth, and an absolute delight.

165F, 5gish, 150ml gaiwan
I think this is the actual sample I was sent as I don’t order green teas for myself. Dry leaf smells nutty and green. 10s- nutty, sweet 20s- nutty, almost roasted, lingering sweetness I stayed with the flash steeps as I usually don’t like green tea brewed for longer. I was surprised by the flavor and how much of it there was. If I were to stock a green tea, this would probably be it. 83

Flavors: Green, Nutty, Roasted, Sweet

This is one of those days where I lack anything truly interesting or insightful as an opener to today’s tea. Sorry about that guys, I guess I can’t always be super clever or have super fun days. Yours truly might have overdone it a bit while I was rock hunting, it was totally worth it though. Examining one of the rocks I just stuffed in my pocket that fell off while I was hammering a larger chunk, it appears to be crusted with tiny epidote crystals. Next time I feel better, rock cleaning will occur and it will be awesome.

Today’s tea is part of a quest, not just to try all the teas at What-Cha (yes I have an obsession) but to find the perfect everyday Long Jing, yeah, I could drink this tea everyday…problem is all of my favorites have been really expensive. The cheap ones I have tried have been good, but not ‘everyday’ material, so maybe Zhejiang Wild-Growing Dragon Well ‘Long Jing’ Green Tea will fit the bill. This particular Long Jing is pretty nifty since it is picked from tea plants growing wild on an abandoned tea field. The aroma of the leaves is delightfully sweet and nutty, like roasted sesame seeds and a tiny touch of peanuts. This transitions to spinach and a tiny bit of sharp artichoke at the finish, so the aroma has a nice zingy finish.

So for this tea I decided to break out my (possibly) 18th century Chinese Imari Ware gaiwan, it is super tiny and delicate, perfect for a green tea! The aroma of the brewed leaves is very vegetal, a really green smelling cocktail of artihoke, green beans, and cooked spinach. There is a tiny touch of chestnut at the finish, but mostly the leaves are a pile of veggies. The liquid is delightfully delicate with slightly sweet nutty notes of chestnut and sesame seed and a touch of indistinctly vegetal aroma at the finish.

OMG yum, this tea is so tasty, and it has nothing to do with sipping it out of a dainty crystal…not sure if this is a cup or tiny vase, it was a quarter so it is a cup now! So, what makes this tea so good you are probably wondering, its crazy smoothness. The taste starts out sweet with notes of honey sesame candies and a touch of chestnut. This transitions to greenness with artichoke and green beans, this greenness lingers until the end with a hint of spinach. The aftertaste is honey sweet and lingers long after I have finished.

Second steeping time brings out more sweetness in the aroma than the previous steep, a sweetness of honey, roasted chestnuts, and toasted sesame seeds, there is a hint of vegetal at the finish reminding me that this indeed a green tea and not a sweet and nutty treat. The mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy for a green tea, which I like, it gives what I usually consider a light tea a touch of richness. The taste starts off honey and chestnut sweet and then fades to a savory cooked spinach and green bean midtaste. After that the finish it buttery, like lima beans and a bit like peas.

I also decided to give this tea a go grandpa style, Long Jing being one of my favorite teas to do this style (one of the reasons I am hunting the perfect everyday one) and this one handles really well. Steeping it grandpa style (or bowl style if you don’t want to get Gangnam Style stuck in your head every time you use it) brings out more of the savory vegetal notes, and calms the sweet down, which has its pros and cons. After many refills of the bowl and sippings I noticed it never got bitter, which is awesome. This tea is perfect for a grandpa style everyday tea, it is a little too rich and sweet for the gaiwan steepings, which is fine by me, I can make it a treat to do it that style. Perhaps my quest is over (not that I am not going to still try tons of Dragon Wells!)

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/11/what-cha-zhejiang-wild-growing-dragon.html

hippiechick 42

Grandpa style?

TeaNecromancer

Also referred to as bowl steeping, basically you just toss some leaves into a cup, add hot water, and drink…shoving the leaves out of the way or blowing them…add more water and repeat until you are sick of the tea or it is tasteless

hippiechick 42

Cool! Thanks Amanda. :)

TeaNecromancer

My pleasure :D

The dry leaves are a remarkably bright shade of green for a Long Jing, the leaves are a little broken up, but I most note that the box that my What-Cha order was shipped in was really banged up; even my postman apologized for the shape of it. I haven’t encountered any of What-Cha’s teas being that broken up, so I am confident saying this happened when it was in transit. There is a little yellow on some of the leaves as well; the most notable part of this tea is the scent. It has a really intense Chocolate-Mint aroma, not chocolate and mint, or chocolate mints, but the chocolate-mint plant; this was quite interesting, I don’t think I have ever encountered a Dragon Well with dry leaves that smell like mint. Already I knew this was going to be a really interesting tea, although I should have known it was going to be interesting when it said “What-Cha” on the label.

For my first steeping I brewed at 176°F for two minutes. I was greeted with a nutty aroma, I was a little disappointed that it didn’t have the chocolate-mint aroma from the dry leaves, but I won’t hold that against this tea. This tea had a very dominant nutty taste, think lightly roasted nuts, but there also was a green bean undertone to it that was quite lovely. The liquor was very light, although if I used a white cup rather than a clear glass cup it might have been easier to see.

For my next infusion I brewed at 185°F for three minutes. While it still had a nutty aroma, this time I could also distinguish some vegetal notes to it, a little bamboo and peas. The taste was similar to the last, but less roasted nuts and a new wet wood taste that lingered. The liquor was still light, but I think I enjoyed this infusion more than the last; it’s not often that I taste a wood element in a Long Jing.

For my third and final infusion I brewed at 190°F for four minutes. The aroma was very weak at this point; I could only get the nutty scent this time. The strongest flavor this time was peas, and then a very generic nutty taste.

This was quite an interesting Long Jing, if What-Cha stocks the 2015 spring harvest, I’d buy again, I am interested if the grower and roaster can duplicate the chocolate-mint aroma the dry leaves had. I don’t think What-Cha mentioned what Tea Estate this tea came from, but I wonder what side of the West Lake it is situated, although in the title it says it is wild growing which leads me to believe it may have been in one of the mountains as it doesn’t taste like Dragon Wells grown in some of the more polluted areas of Zhejiang and that it is wild growing makes me think it comes from a more affluent tea growing areas (of Zhejiang). Overall it was a very good tea that I am looking forward to having again.

(Pictures are on my blog http://rah-tea.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-chas-zhejiang-wild-growing-dragon.html)