China Guizhou 'White Pearls' Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Apricot, Asparagus, Bamboo, Corn Husk, Cream, Grass, Hay, Lettuce, Malt, Mineral, Pear, Plums, Smoke, Spinach, Sugarcane, Creamy, Smooth, Sweet
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “Okay, this was the last of the teas I drank in June. Fortunately, I do not have many reviews left from July and August, so I should be able to get things caught up fairly quickly from this point...” Read full tasting note
  • “The first time I tried this tea, I gongufed it and didn’t like the musky, brothy flavor. But not every tea is made for gongfu and in this particular case, generic western steeping actually worked...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

An easy drinking dragon pearl tea without the usual addition of jasmine to the pearl. It has a smooth sweet taste with gentle fruit notes, perfect for grandpa brewing.

About What-Cha View company

Okay, this was the last of the teas I drank in June. Fortunately, I do not have many reviews left from July and August, so I should be able to get things caught up fairly quickly from this point forward. I recall drinking what I had of this tea the day after I finished the last of the China Guizhou ‘Dew Drops’ Green Tea, and I have to say that I found this tea to be the more impressive of the two. Both were very good, but if I could only have one of the two, I would choose this one.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of green tea pearls in 4 ounces of 176 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry pearls emitted aromas of hay, grass, malt, and corn husk. After the rinse, I detected new aromas of bamboo and spinach. The first infusion offered nothing new on the nose. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented delicate notes of hay, malt, grass, and corn husk that were chased by subtler impressions of smoke, apricot, and sugarcane. Subsequent infusions saw sugarcane and apricot make themselves known on the nose. Stronger notes of smoke, sugarcane, and apricot appeared in the mouth alongside belatedly emerging bamboo and spinach notes and new impressions of minerals, sour plum, asparagus, cream, and lettuce. The final few infusions emphasized soft mineral, cream, grass, asparagus, and bamboo notes that were balanced by impressions of stone fruits and malt as well as a faint pear-like note that came out at the very end of the session.

This was very much a straightforward, easy-drinking green tea equally suited to solo consumption or pairing with a variety of foods. I could see it making an excellent introduction to Guizhou green teas or a fantastic daily drinker for those who like heartier, less subtle green teas. I would love to see how this particular tea pairs with jasmine because I bet it would make a knock-out jasmine dragon pearl green tea. Anyway, try this one if you are looking for a regular drinking tea and/or are curious about the green teas Guizhou Province has to offer.

Flavors: Apricot, Asparagus, Bamboo, Corn Husk, Cream, Grass, Hay, Lettuce, Malt, Mineral, Pear, Plums, Smoke, Spinach, Sugarcane

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

The first time I tried this tea, I gongufed it and didn’t like the musky, brothy flavor. But not every tea is made for gongfu and in this particular case, generic western steeping actually worked best. I dropped about 7 pearls into a 200ml teapot and brewed it for 3 minutes or so until the leaf began to unfurl. The tea had a lovely sweet incense like aroma. Soft, creamy flavor with a faintly floral aftertaste that reminded me of white tea.

I can see why this is used as a base in jasmine scented tea. The subtle flavor works well in many blends. I added a dried persian rosebud and the tea complemented the rose very nicely.

Flavors: Creamy, Smooth, Sweet

Evol Ving Ness

What a beautiful idea for the appropriate tea! Will try. Thanks for the tip.

LuckyMe

Teavivre has a really wonderful pink rosebud tea. I like to add it towards the end of a session when the tea starts running out of steam

Evol Ving Ness

^ Thanks, LuckyMe. I still have some scented rosebuds that I purchased at our latest local tea festival. I’ll use those up first. However, I will take a look and add it to my shopping list. When I give myself permission to start amassing more teas. Because currently here I have reached the what-the-hell-was-I-thinking stage in the tea department.