China Guizhou 'Dew Drops' Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Bamboo, Chestnut, Cream, Gardenias, Grain, Grass, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Lemongrass, Lettuce, Malt, Milk, Mineral, Mint, Nectar, Salty, Seaweed, Spinach, Hay, Honey, Straw, Toasted Rice, Umami, Citrus, Cucumber, Cut grass, Green Apple, Green Beans, Peas, Vegetable Broth, Mango, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “Okay, here is the third and likely final backlogged review for the day. This was yet another mid-late June sipdown. At the time I was working my way through what I had of this tea, it was very...” Read full tasting note
  • “This might be one of the most refreshing things I’ve ever put in my mouth. Loads of green acidity and bitterness, but only in a good way. The complexity isn’t lost at all. Like many shades of...” Read full tasting note
  • “So far, all the teas from this provider have been exceptional but unfortunately this one has been a bit of a meh. I started brewing this tea at 80 C, but on the second steep there needed to be an...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was a really pleasant green tea. It has a wonderful aroma of milk, flowers, spinach, and sweet grass. The smell in fact resembled a nice Jin Xuan oolong more than a green. The taste is...” Read full tasting note

From What-Cha

A smooth green tea with a floral lemon aroma coupled with a sweet lingering taste of grass and lemon.

Tasting Notes:
- Floral lemon aroma
- Smooth texture
- Sweet taste of grass and lemon

Harvest: Spring, March 2017

Origin: Maodong, Guizhou, China
Organic: Certified organic

Variety: Sinensis

Sourced: Direct from the tea factory

Brewing Advice:
- Heat water to roughly 80°C/176°F
- Use 1 teaspoon per cup/small teapot
- Brew for 1-2 minutes

About What-Cha View company

Okay, here is the third and likely final backlogged review for the day. This was yet another mid-late June sipdown. At the time I was working my way through what I had of this tea, it was very likely the first tea from Guizhou province that I had tried. Regardless, I found it to be an extremely pleasant green tea with some interesting herbal undertones.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After a brief rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 176 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 14 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 9 seconds, 12 seconds, 16 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Prior to the rinse, the dry tea leaves emitted aromas of hay, lemon, seaweed, and malt. After the rinse, I detected a subtle cream aroma. The first infusion then brought out scents of grass and straw. In the mouth, the tea liquor presented delicate notes of hay, lemon, seaweed, grass, straw, and cream that were chased by hints of honey sweetness. The bulk of the subsequent infusions brought out scents of toasted rice and umami along with subtle mintiness and nuttiness on the nose. In the mouth, I detected subtle, belatedly emerging malt notes as well as impressions of chestnut, barley, toasted rice, bamboo, minerals, and lettuce. When I really focused, I could also detect very subtle spinach and mint notes, though the mint presence did eventually strengthen to a limited extent. The later infusions emphasized mineral, grass, seaweed, and spinach notes that were underscored by vague umami. There were also traces of mint and honey on the swallow.

I found this to be a very unique Chinese green tea in the sense that I did not find it to have much in common with many of the other Chinese green teas I had recently consumed. It may have just been me, but this tea’s body and texture coupled with some of its aroma and flavor components reminded me a little of some Japanese green teas. Overall, this was an interesting and very satisfying green tea, one that I am fairly certain fans of subtler, more mellow green teas would enjoy.

Flavors: Bamboo, Chestnut, Cream, Grain, Grass, Hay, Honey, Lemon, Lettuce, Malt, Mineral, Mint, Seaweed, Spinach, Straw, Toasted Rice, Umami

6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
derk

This one has been sitting in my What-Cha wishlist for a few months and if it’s still in stock, will likely move into my cart in the spring. Thanks for the review.

eastkyteaguy

No problem. I hope you enjoy it.

eastkyteaguy

derk, I just checked the website and it appears that the 2018 harvest of this tea is available. It was only like $4.62 for 25g.

This might be one of the most refreshing things I’ve ever put in my mouth. Loads of green acidity and bitterness, but only in a good way. The complexity isn’t lost at all. Like many shades of green. Repeated steeping lost some of the zing but added to the breadth of flavours.

(H score 6/10, Autumn harvest Sept 2017)

Flavors: Citrus, Cucumber, Cut grass, Grass, Green Apple

I started brewing this tea at 80 C, but on the second steep there needed to be an increase in temperature of 5 C. Honestly, I am not convinced, the flavour was not present and I couldn’t find a scent nor a taste.
Probably, though not making any promises, will repurchase a small package to see if I am in the wrong and give it another taste.

For now it’s a “I don’t know”.

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

This was a really pleasant green tea. It has a wonderful aroma of milk, flowers, spinach, and sweet grass. The smell in fact resembled a nice Jin Xuan oolong more than a green. The taste is smooth and mellow with delicate notes of sweet pea, cucumber, and crisp butter lettuce. In subsequent steepings, the flavor changes to a light vegetable broth and reveals hints of green bean and spinach. I got about 4-5 good quality steeps out of it. The soft, clean flavor of this tea makes this a good tea for beginners and people who don’t drink green tea.

Flavors: Cucumber, Green Beans, Lettuce, Milk, Peas, Spinach, Vegetable Broth

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Was a good light tea. Definitely had hints of grass and lemon. Smooth tea.

Flavors: Grass, Lemon