Wildcrafted Da Hong Pao

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Charcoal, Mineral, Roasted, Wet Rocks, Butter, Cream, Floral, Honey, Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Wet Wood, Butternut Squash, Coconut, Grass, Nectar, Oak, Smooth, Sweet, Hay, Vegetal, Nuts, Roasted Nuts, Toasted Rice, Candy, Caramel, Marshmallow, Roasted Barley, Chestnut, Creamy
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Coming soon! :-)

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

A very nice oolong, combination of oolong and earthy, smooth, I like it.
Smallish whole-leaf tea, a little nutty.

Sipdown 94-2021
I’m going to consider this a sipdown, as I’m drinking a cup and putting the rest into my swap pile. It’s not my favorite type of oolong. Lots of minerality and a strong presence of the charcoal roast.

Flavors: Charcoal, Mineral, Roasted, Wet Rocks

i rinsed and im just sitting here smelling the wet leaves for like 5 minutes straight…theyre real chatty my goodness..im still getting myself in the headspace of tasting notes but im wildly excited about this. just poured it off and its smooth and lovely with a well defined structure. exhaling oolong minerality after swallowing. touch of tangy juiciness at the back of the sip. it’s warm and focused and focusing

first infusion was 5g 99c for roughly 20 seconds starting from when i began to pour, so around 15 with lid on

second infusion maybe 27 seconds? pretty even with the first, though i can see the leaves opening much more now. going to post this and maybe return later

edit: hi its 11pm this thing will not die ive taken it all the way to a 10 minute steep, somewhere between 8 and 12 infusions.. just incredibly smooth and subtle roasty toasty notes very lovely even after losing all structure and most flavors theres still just enough to intrigue me into seeing what happens if i fill up the gaiwan 1 more time :)

heres a tea ive had for a while but have never reviewed.. so time to write one.
it looks like its rolled a little and its a darkish brown color, un brewed.

after a rinse the aromatics are heavy with roasty notes, like burnt toast and with nuttiness such as roasted almond maybe.

the first steep fluffs up the tea in the pot more. the liquid is an orange-y gold color, and its really nice to see that much color on the first steep. i just taste old stuff when i drink this tea.. of coarse theres a kind of burnt toast taste, but it really makes me think of old stuff, antiques, books, and egyptian tombs- which i can only imagine the smell of.

on the second, im thinking now that maybe this has some herbaceousness as an under note, and with some definite malt. the flavors have mended and are coming out and oh it is smooth, “so much so me brothers, that all the melanky little hairs now stand up on me arms, they do, me brothers.”

this is the first time ive gongfu’d this tea and now i know that western brewing doesnt do this tea justice. im using my cracked sky blue porcelain pot- Neptune, to brew this, with 4.20g of dhp in the mix. despite what i said earlier, i think ill steep this tea in my tumbler tomorrow morning and drink it at my class.. i brought WP’s rivendell this morning, unfortunately i should have brewed it a couple extra minutes. i digress..

3rd- and i get some astringency but it is thin and is noticed at the front of the mouth. the body of the tea is med- light in presence, as it almost evaporates. for me this tea plays out all around the front of the mouth. its not super active- kind of flat actually, but theres flavor there.

ill stop here and enjoy the fourth in peace, jk- not really. reviewing as i drink is a love/hate thing, so i may halt a review early if i just want to sip and re-watch breaking bad.

this is a good tea but i dont know when or if ill purchase again.. there are too many teas to try and not enough time.

-nycoma

Sipdown.

I brewed this many times over the course of sigh 48 hours. It was the very last of the package and I just can’t afford to rebuy it.

Very sad. And slightly regretful that I chucked out the leaves, even at that point. Like maybe I could have given them one last shot as a cold brew?

The hunt continues for an affordable fruity DHP.

Rasseru

Im waiting for the Golden Lily to come back in stock, i shall be trying some of this. I dont care for over-roasted charred wood DHP much

Cathy Baratheon

Oh this is a beautiful light roast! It brings out a sweetness that reminds me of hojicha ice-cream

This is my first Da Hong Pao. No real expectations here as a result, although a cursory sniff of the dry leaves smelled like roasted oolong, kind of like the tieguanyin I tried earlier this week, got a bit of a cool wild dry fly away look to the leaves. It also does NOT taste like the tieguanyin at all, safe to say.

3.5 grams to 100 ml gaiwan. Just off boiling water. 30 seconds to start.

The aroma of the amazingly thick, darker gold liquid that comes out of this is reminiscent of roasted floral oolong with notes of honey. The soup is rich, thick, and lingering in the mouth, with a very heavy buttery, mineral-y, honey taste, but without the intense sweetness of honey. There are also floral notes/tastes in the aftermath of the initial, as well as an increasing sweetness across the steeps. A lot like what I would expect nectar to taste like. Very interesting, I like the richness, I’ll be trying this again.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Floral, Honey, Mineral

This is my first DHP, so take this with a grain of salt.

This tea is all right. I ordered a sample of it from a promotion the company was having, and was excited to see the package in my mailbox today. I steeped up the tea with 190 degree water, and sipped.

Roasty.

The first steep was good—intense roast on the front end and then fruitiness on the back. However, steeps 2-6 all just tasted like roasted leaves, without nice fruit flavor. I think this might be a freshly-roasted tea…? It’s just so dominated by this roast flavor, which is surprising because the leaves are pretty green. Ah well.

Later steeps are definitely better. The roast dies down a bit and the fruit and flowers come out a little. Still, I can’t help but think that for $40/100g, this tea is not worth the money. Would probably be better if I left it alone for a couple months and let the roast die down.

yyz

A lot of people do that with traditionally processed yancha. A know people who leave it for up to a year.

JWhisk

Not sure if I’m that patient, but I’m interested to see what it’s like in a few months!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Aging this much more won’t do much, it was actually harvested about a year ago. You may just be thrown off by the roasted profile since this is your first DHP?

JWhisk

Could be, yeah. I’ll give it another shot in a little, I’ve still got 3.5g left. Thanks!

LuckyMe

I actually prefer this tea to regular DHP because it’s less roasty. Giving the tea a quick rinse also helps remove some of the “char”.

JWhisk

Cool, I’ll try it an see what happens

Imagine a milkshake. Now replace milk with flower nectar. Cover the top with cocoa. Add some salt. Shake. Warm up and add a little fruit juice to cool it down.

That is what this makes me think of.

Daylon R Thomas

I take that you like it? If so, glad I got you that sample. It’s a really good Yancha, very floral, cocoa like, and fruity like a Dan Cong. The price is outside my range for most Yan Cha’s, but it is definitely worth a sample.

Liquid Proust

If you’d like, I can send you some yancha that is way more expensive just so you can see what some of the stupid high end stuff is like; in case you’re curious, it is $2 per gram and I can only spare maybe 4g.

Rasseru

im tempted to try the EoT bei dou yi hao this year

Daylon R Thomas

Sure. There are so many samples I’m going to try from you. Not including the giant quantities of the other teas that I’ve asked for lol.

Rich

Just had some of this a few days ago, and I really liked it as well. Easy going.

TheOolongDrunk

I’m curious about this tea and have a few questions.

To start, what would you rate it? Is the quality worth the price tag? Also, would you recommend this oolong or order it again?

Again, thank you Brenden for letting me sample this!

I agree with LuckyMe and HaveTeaWillTravel entirely. It tastes just like a Mi Xiang Dan Cong with a slight Da Hong Pao sweetness. Followed the instructions exactly, and get most of the notes described but in fainter amounts. This could be due to the leaf amount I used, but the same consistencies are there. Chestnut, butter, and a bit of toasted coconut are in the first two steeps at five seconds. Almond is in every one of them including a taste really close to butternut squash. Mineral and oak are more in the next two at 10 and 20. Still almond like with barley and a bit of oak at 25 and 30. 45, I kinda get the white wine he was talking about or a light beer like taste without the sweetness. Oak and mineral are more obvious to me. Finally at 1 min and 30, and about the same but smoother and fuller bodied, yet otherwise very, very mellow.

Well, I quite enjoyed this tea. I’m really picky when it comes to Da Hong Pao because of how certain tastes, like oak or sugar, can dominate the cup. Here, it is incredibly mellow, relaxing, but focusing. I sampled this to see if I would like it enough to get an ounce, but I like the sample amount that I have. Doubtless worth a try to see the variety of forms Da Hong Pao comes in.

More for pickier tea drinkers and supertasters than newer drinkers. Some might like the nutty mellowness of it, or they might be bored. Yet that really needs to be decided after I try it Western.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Normally I’m not one for roasted teas and always underleaf because I find them too unbearable otherwise. Still I find myself being drawn to darker style oolongs lately for winter comfort. Wuyis are a perennial favorite yet it’s hard to find one that doesn’t taste like an ashtray. One of reasons I love this tea is because the delicate roast allows its wonderfully complex flavor to shine through.

The dry leaves in a warmed gaiwan exude an amazing fruity aroma. Wet leaf changes to a deep earthy aroma, like a wet forest after the rain, and produces a beautiful light amber liqueur. My first steep was smooth and rich. Soft roasted body, much lighter than a regular DHP. There’s some earthiness and mineral flavor there but not over the top. I’m getting some sweetness in there too. A very well-balanced cup.

The flavor really begins to pop at the second steep. This one is sweeter, and more mineral. The roastiness has faded as light florals begin to emerge and there is a pleasant honeyed aftertaste. It’s juicy, crisp, and clean. My favorite steep by far.

The next two steeps are fairly similar. The rock sugar sweetness intensifies and the tea flavors becomes clearer. I’m impressed by how full flavored the later steepings were even though it was brewed western style with just a pinch of leaves.

I had a Dan Cong earlier in the day and was struck by how much this tea resembled it with its honeyed sweetness, floral notes, and light roast.

I didn’t think it could get any better than WP’s regular Da Hong Pao but their Wildcrafted varietal is really on another level altogether. This is truly an incredible wuyi oolong and hands down the best I’ve ever had.

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Fruity, Honey, Mineral, Roasted, Wet Wood