2015 Pin

Pu-erh Tea
Bitter, Floral, Hay, Herbaceous, Honey, Peach, Pine, Smooth, Spinach, Sweet, Thick, Apricot, Creamy, Green, Lemon Zest, Vegetal, Wood, Dry Grass, Flowers, Spices, Mineral, Olives, Moss, Pepper
Edit tea info Last updated by d11t

• “Been a while since I’ve done one of these… Opened my humidor to grab some tea before work today, I like taking younger sheng because I “grandpa Style” brew at work and I’d prefer drinking tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “Backlog/Tea Swap/Sipdown I must admit that the teas which are “high end” teas like this make me avoid going to a companies website and blowing a hole in my wallet just for a “meh” cup of tea....” Read full tasting note
  • “Finally getting around to this one. The wet leaf smells apricoty and maybe a little bit tobacco-ey. The first steep is so light and pale, it reminds me a little of “2 Late”. The first and second...” Read full tasting note
  • “My puerh pick for Friday. And it seems it was the puerh pick for many this past weekend! The sweet, fruity, floral fragrance of the sample bag had me looking forward to this one for quite a...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The Pin is a blend of three years of high quality material (2013, 2014, and 2015) with Lincang character. The tea has a sweet flavor and a heavy fragrance. The texture of the soup is much smoother than our other 2015 productions due to the blended material from previous years, which was stored in Menghai prior to pressing. An excellent tea to drink now or save to drink several years down the line.

About White2Tea View company

Been a while since I’ve done one of these…

Opened my humidor to grab some tea before work today, I like taking younger sheng because I “grandpa Style” brew at work and I’d prefer drinking tea leaves that are in tact and not in pieces.

So took of what I thought was a regular amount of leaves for the day. Threw it in and pour boiled water on it (not very careful with metrics for grandpa drinking). First brew was like a few shots of espresso. Second pour was like doing cocaine. Third pour had me killing the game at work. The rest is history.

All this energy and all this flavor. So much leaf, maybe too much. So hot, so cold, so sweaty. All of this, but not without much bitterness you’d find in Menghai type teas. I think I need to get some more of this tea for the simple thrill of Grandpa brews at work. This is a winner and is still sweet and fruity towards the tail end of the brew sesh. All the while, maintaining a steady flow of astringency to coat the pallet for hours on end.

Grandpa Style- Approved
Gong Fu Style- Approved
Helps you relax ‘Style’- Rejected

Backlog/Tea Swap/Sipdown

I must admit that the teas which are “high end” teas like this make me avoid going to a companies website and blowing a hole in my wallet just for a “meh” cup of tea. Overall, it was pretty “basic” and “boring” after a while. Toward the beginning of the session, the tea was without much “oomph” or flavor. I had to increase the temperature to 205 F to get anything from the leaf; which resulted in too much bitterness. I reduced the temperature back to 195 F after a while, but after the 9th steep, it sort of died away. Is this worth the $70/cake? For me, no, but I can see how some people may enjoy this one….I apologize to the person who had swapped this out with me, but I still appreciate the swap, despite my hardness toward the tea…

PS. Regardless of my initial “points” awarded to this or any tea, I will always add 5 points to the tea only when it is swapped and/or gifted as a courtesy to my tea friends!

The first and second steeps are a little tough for me to actually pick out. This definitely isn’t a casual fruity sheng. It has a little bit of those notes but it’s mostly this odd, kind of body centered taste that feels like it has a little bit missing. I’ll try steeping a little longer.

Later steeps actually didn’t really change too much. This particular session was a bit of a miss—next time maybe I’ll try leafing and steeping a little differently.

My puerh pick for Friday. And it seems it was the puerh pick for many this past weekend! The sweet, fruity, floral fragrance of the sample bag had me looking forward to this one for quite a while.

Steeped 7 grams of this at work and decided to sip the wash, because I sometimes do that. Glad I did this time, as it was full of flavor. Very light gold in color, but with a mouth coating viscosity, floral head notes, sweet hay body and light honey finish. And that flavor just lingered. Needless to say, the rest of the wash was consumed.

A nice sour fruitness developed in the first proper steep, with a spiced herbaceous aftertaste that began to mingle with the lingering aroma and huigan.

The florals and hay start to take on a bit more of a piney-ness after a few steeps, and the exhaled aroma is that of spinach.

Some bitterness starts to come out in later steeps, but it doesn’t eliminate the mouth coating sweetness.

Eventually, the flavor mellows out to a nice lingering peach. I practically flash steeped this entire session and Pin rewarded me greatly for doing so!

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Hay, Herbaceous, Honey, Peach, Pine, Smooth, Spinach, Sweet, Thick

Boiling 7 g

Brewed this up about a year ago when I recieved for Tea club and remembered it being sweet light and floral. Just drank it last night and boy did it thicken up. Great floral aromas with a mushroomy base. Strong Lincang character to the flavor. Gan and other mouth characteristics are developing nicely. I really like where this tea has come in the past year.

Boiling 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Just finished a pretty heavy session of this one to kill off the last of my sample and feeling a little teadrunken silliness. A pretty tasty sheng from W2T. At the same price level as If You’re Reading This It’s 2 Late. I would consider this one a little bit more interesting and complex, but not as tasty.

Early steeps are mostly vegetal with a thickness that builds up quickly. I also got slight notes of lemon zest on the finish in these early steeps. When they combined with the creamy thick texture around steeps 3-4, I got images of lemon meringue pie dancing in my head…the tea doesn’t taste like that, it’s not quite so sweet, buuut I was reminded of it anyways. With a higher leaf ratio, the vegetal quality was more woody, like if I were to chew on squash stems maybe.

I would call steeps 5-7 or as pretty easy drinking – nice chuggable tea. It does get a slight bitterness, especially with higher ratio, but there’s also an apricot fruity note that comes in just a little bit, along with sweet vegetal notes.

Steeps 8-13 or something like that, whenever it ended, remained nice and thick, with light green vegetal flavors accompanying the heavy texture. Clearly the tea has a nice bit of qi to it, as I’m feeling plenty teadrunk after this session. I’ll have to go heavy leaf on some other W2T productions and see what happens. Should be fun lol.

Anyways, as I said above – this one was good, but at the $49/200g (at time of writing) I’d take If You’re Reading This over Pin. Both gave some good vibes – Pin more interesting and greater range of flavor, 2 Late just flat out tastier.

Flavors: Apricot, Creamy, Green, Lemon Zest, Thick, Vegetal, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I really enjoy this cake, so much so that I have been plowing through it much faster than I planned when I saw it in the White2Tea club. Like 2dog wrote in that month’s club description, following this cake as it settled down from pressing and lost a lot of water content has been informative.
This cake has a lot of the positive aspects I enjoyed so much in the 2015 Smooch. The two of them being my favorite Lincang material I’ve tried by far. A very thick mouth feel and sharp flavor. I’ve found the main difference between this and Smooch is that Pin is a bit less astringent and bitter, however that may just be from the lower leaf:water ratio I usually use with this compared to the full ball steeped at once. I may come back to this review and add more specific flavors I get out of the cake after a full year of settling down.

wasnt super into this one when i brewed with 120ml vessel, but now that i am revisiting this with my 60ml gaiwan i got today, im more able to drink it, simply because less water.

dry: light- med press based on sample. kind of yellow looking, maybe looks like an owl pellet. smells kind of sour with a floral after effect.

wet: light olive green leaves. a fair bit of stem. aroma more impactful, sweeter, honey, young moss after rainfall.. if i remember what moss smells like.. lol

taste: it is astringent at the front, and bitter invades your afterthoughts, and coats the tongue. kind of makes me press my tongue to the roof of my mouth. i should experiment with temp, as in bring it down some.

i dont think this sheng has much going for it. too young, maybe in time..

but simply because it has some puerh qualities, and i havnt tried a temp change, i’ll give a generous rating.

205 °F / 96 °C 2 g 2 OZ / 60 ML

So I got this tea right when it came out. The wrapper design and the contents of the cake really grabbed my attention.

When I got it I tried it. I remember that it was bitter so I stored it away. Now 2 months later I got it back out to give it another round!

It was very spicy with a grassy/floral note to it. Overall, I liked it and thought it was a great experience. However, i probably wouldn’t buy it again.

Flavors: Bitter, Dry Grass, Floral, Flowers, Green, Spices

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 97 ML
mrmopar

It is always better to let tea rest after shipping. I usually wait at least 2 weeks.

TheOolongDrunk

@MrMopar Right? Completely agree. There are some teas through i’m wayyyy tooooo anxious to drink and I can’t wait that long.

mrmopar

Me too. I have to practice severe restraint sometimes.

A light and friendly sheng with mineral, floral, and pine notes in the early steeps. Lingering sugarcane sweetness and maybe just a touch of smoke. Later steeps reveal a tart vegetal note like green olives that has me thinking of a dirty martini. It really excels in the later steeps, both flavor and buttery mouthfeel opening up.

Flavors: Floral, Mineral, Olives, Pine

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
JC

Nice note. I agree, this one is better as it opens and later steeps are a cumulative taste that gets better as you keep drinking.

Kirkoneill1988

i shall try this tea someday