2015 Pin

Pu-erh Tea
Artificial, Thick, Astringent, Bitter, Floral, Hay, Herbaceous, Honey, Peach, Pine, Smooth, Spinach, Sweet, Apricot, Creamy, Green, Lemon Zest, Vegetal, Wood, Dry Grass, Flowers, Spices, Mineral, Olives, Moss, Pepper
Edit tea info Last updated by d11t

• “Finished my tiny sample. It still felt like spending a bunch of time with someone who wears many products w/ a subtle synthetic fragrance, strong enough to be noticed but not distinct enough to be...” Read full tasting note
  • “Absolutely phenomenal, hard-hitting, electrifying qi. This tea was liquid uppers, the kind of uppers that don’t have you standing there smacking your lips all night but make you fucking move...” Read full tasting note
  • “5.5g in 100ml, 100C. Early steeps were really thick and syrupy and really pleasant in texture. Doesn’t even roll around the mouth easily because of how thick it is. Immediately had my hair...” Read full tasting note
  • “Been a while since I’ve done one of these… Opened my humidor to grab some tea before work today, I like taking younger sheng because I “grandpa Style” brew at work and I’d prefer drinking tea...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

The Pin is a blend of three years of high quality material (2013, 2014, and 2015) with Lincang character. The tea has a sweet flavor and a heavy fragrance. The texture of the soup is much smoother than our other 2015 productions due to the blended material from previous years, which was stored in Menghai prior to pressing. An excellent tea to drink now or save to drink several years down the line.

About White2Tea View company

Finished my tiny sample. It still felt like spending a bunch of time with someone who wears many products w/ a subtle synthetic fragrance, strong enough to be noticed but not distinct enough to be identified. The taste and scent are not really my speed, but the energy, as others have noted, is upbeat. Other shengs can make you feel weird or too relaxed. This one will have you feeling like you can go socialize with normal people who spend too much time at the mall. It took about an hour for me to get to steep 11 (after which I set aside the leaves to brew grandpa later).

5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

Absolutely phenomenal, hard-hitting, electrifying qi. This tea was liquid uppers, the kind of uppers that don’t have you standing there smacking your lips all night but make you fucking move (pardon me, I’m a blue collar gal). First few steeps had me precariously perching the cup in my fingertips and staring deeply into it as my eyebrows and sinuses vibrated with pleasure.

Before I knew it, I was compelled by the HAND OF DERK to put on music. Hard, electronic music. Started off with Bjork – Pluto and I became electrified, every single hair on my body stood on end and I was simultaneously cool and hothothot, sweat streaming off my scalp. URGENT, URGENT. DERK HAS TO MOVE. Played Vitalic – Stamina for what I didn’t know was going to be a warmup to a 17 minute dance-a-thon featuring the masterpiece Planisphère by Justice. Sorry downstairs neighbor, but if I have to put up with your dog barking all day, you can deal with the ceiling squeaking for 20 minutes. I know you’re home.

So, the other qualities of the tea, right? It’s actually pretty good. I got this as a freebie with my latest White2Tea order. Woot. The sample had a few decent chunks and loose leaf but also a lot of powdery bits. Probably should’ve used a strainer. The warmed leaf smelled strongly of lemon and apricot. The rinsed leaf was very choppy in form and had additions in aroma of wood, powdered sugar, florals, straw and faint smoke. Later on this moved into full on antique store, maybe one that gets a good breeze through it. No mustiness.

The liquor was fragrant and amber-gold in color. It started off light and tart, brothy and smooth with a pleasant astringency in the throat and a complementary bitterness in the back. It went down easily with tastes of minerals and lemon, moving into an apricot-lemon-cream aftertaste. By the third steep of 10s, some herbs, pine and a cooling sensation arrived, with the lemon getting stronger. Toward the end, the aftertaste turned into a light honey. I’d say the main theme of this tea is bright, tart, and lemony but also with a kind of background gravitas.

A few days ago in another review I alluded to the fact that I split with my long-term partner a few weeks ago. Earlier today, I started feeling like myself again. I can’t even put into words how much this tea amplified that feeling for me when I had this session later in the afternoon. A tea that makes me want to move and dance at this point in my life is very much welcome. I think this would be an excellent tea had moments before a strenuous workout or run, or if you just want to dance with yourself.

205 °F / 96 °C 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
__Morgana__

What a wonderful note!

derk

Hm, thanks :)

5.5g in 100ml, 100C.
Early steeps were really thick and syrupy and really pleasant in texture. Doesn’t even roll around the mouth easily because of how thick it is. Immediately had my hair standing on end
There’s some up-front bitterness moving forward and immediate stone fruit huigan, really nice. But…astringency started to set in…
By mid steeps this was really dry and bitter but in an unpleasant way to me. This “formaldehyde” note to me I’m tasting here I’m being told is young “Lincang” character.
Despite that, sticky and pleasant in the mouth. And the qi feels like a tight headband around my head but not in the “tension headache” way.

All in all, I’m actually leaving this one without a score. It is clearly good(dare I say great?) tea, at an affordable price. But, its not something that I want to drink right now, because that formaldehyde note makes me think too much of anatomy lab, and astringency is too high, for my weenie mouth. Pick it up if Lincang is for you!

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Thick

kevdog19

Energy tea, no doubt. Still drinkable too for most.

Been a while since I’ve done one of these…

Opened my humidor to grab some tea before work today, I like taking younger sheng because I “grandpa Style” brew at work and I’d prefer drinking tea leaves that are in tact and not in pieces.

So took of what I thought was a regular amount of leaves for the day. Threw it in and pour boiled water on it (not very careful with metrics for grandpa drinking). First brew was like a few shots of espresso. Second pour was like doing cocaine. Third pour had me killing the game at work. The rest is history.

All this energy and all this flavor. So much leaf, maybe too much. So hot, so cold, so sweaty. All of this, but not without much bitterness you’d find in Menghai type teas. I think I need to get some more of this tea for the simple thrill of Grandpa brews at work. This is a winner and is still sweet and fruity towards the tail end of the brew sesh. All the while, maintaining a steady flow of astringency to coat the pallet for hours on end.

Grandpa Style- Approved
Gong Fu Style- Approved
Helps you relax ‘Style’- Rejected

Backlog/Tea Swap/Sipdown

I must admit that the teas which are “high end” teas like this make me avoid going to a companies website and blowing a hole in my wallet just for a “meh” cup of tea. Overall, it was pretty “basic” and “boring” after a while. Toward the beginning of the session, the tea was without much “oomph” or flavor. I had to increase the temperature to 205 F to get anything from the leaf; which resulted in too much bitterness. I reduced the temperature back to 195 F after a while, but after the 9th steep, it sort of died away. Is this worth the $70/cake? For me, no, but I can see how some people may enjoy this one….I apologize to the person who had swapped this out with me, but I still appreciate the swap, despite my hardness toward the tea…

PS. Regardless of my initial “points” awarded to this or any tea, I will always add 5 points to the tea only when it is swapped and/or gifted as a courtesy to my tea friends!

Finally getting around to this one. The wet leaf smells apricoty and maybe a little bit tobacco-ey. The first steep is so light and pale, it reminds me a little of “2 Late”.

The first and second steeps are a little tough for me to actually pick out. This definitely isn’t a casual fruity sheng. It has a little bit of those notes but it’s mostly this odd, kind of body centered taste that feels like it has a little bit missing. I’ll try steeping a little longer.

Later steeps actually didn’t really change too much. This particular session was a bit of a miss—next time maybe I’ll try leafing and steeping a little differently.

My puerh pick for Friday. And it seems it was the puerh pick for many this past weekend! The sweet, fruity, floral fragrance of the sample bag had me looking forward to this one for quite a while.

Steeped 7 grams of this at work and decided to sip the wash, because I sometimes do that. Glad I did this time, as it was full of flavor. Very light gold in color, but with a mouth coating viscosity, floral head notes, sweet hay body and light honey finish. And that flavor just lingered. Needless to say, the rest of the wash was consumed.

A nice sour fruitness developed in the first proper steep, with a spiced herbaceous aftertaste that began to mingle with the lingering aroma and huigan.

The florals and hay start to take on a bit more of a piney-ness after a few steeps, and the exhaled aroma is that of spinach.

Some bitterness starts to come out in later steeps, but it doesn’t eliminate the mouth coating sweetness.

Eventually, the flavor mellows out to a nice lingering peach. I practically flash steeped this entire session and Pin rewarded me greatly for doing so!

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Hay, Herbaceous, Honey, Peach, Pine, Smooth, Spinach, Sweet, Thick

Boiling 7 g

Brewed this up about a year ago when I recieved for Tea club and remembered it being sweet light and floral. Just drank it last night and boy did it thicken up. Great floral aromas with a mushroomy base. Strong Lincang character to the flavor. Gan and other mouth characteristics are developing nicely. I really like where this tea has come in the past year.

Boiling 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Just finished a pretty heavy session of this one to kill off the last of my sample and feeling a little teadrunken silliness. A pretty tasty sheng from W2T. At the same price level as If You’re Reading This It’s 2 Late. I would consider this one a little bit more interesting and complex, but not as tasty.

Early steeps are mostly vegetal with a thickness that builds up quickly. I also got slight notes of lemon zest on the finish in these early steeps. When they combined with the creamy thick texture around steeps 3-4, I got images of lemon meringue pie dancing in my head…the tea doesn’t taste like that, it’s not quite so sweet, buuut I was reminded of it anyways. With a higher leaf ratio, the vegetal quality was more woody, like if I were to chew on squash stems maybe.

I would call steeps 5-7 or as pretty easy drinking – nice chuggable tea. It does get a slight bitterness, especially with higher ratio, but there’s also an apricot fruity note that comes in just a little bit, along with sweet vegetal notes.

Steeps 8-13 or something like that, whenever it ended, remained nice and thick, with light green vegetal flavors accompanying the heavy texture. Clearly the tea has a nice bit of qi to it, as I’m feeling plenty teadrunk after this session. I’ll have to go heavy leaf on some other W2T productions and see what happens. Should be fun lol.

Anyways, as I said above – this one was good, but at the $49/200g (at time of writing) I’d take If You’re Reading This over Pin. Both gave some good vibes – Pin more interesting and greater range of flavor, 2 Late just flat out tastier.

Flavors: Apricot, Creamy, Green, Lemon Zest, Thick, Vegetal, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

I really enjoy this cake, so much so that I have been plowing through it much faster than I planned when I saw it in the White2Tea club. Like 2dog wrote in that month’s club description, following this cake as it settled down from pressing and lost a lot of water content has been informative.
This cake has a lot of the positive aspects I enjoyed so much in the 2015 Smooch. The two of them being my favorite Lincang material I’ve tried by far. A very thick mouth feel and sharp flavor. I’ve found the main difference between this and Smooch is that Pin is a bit less astringent and bitter, however that may just be from the lower leaf:water ratio I usually use with this compared to the full ball steeped at once. I may come back to this review and add more specific flavors I get out of the cake after a full year of settling down.