2017 Farmer Direct Tea (FDT)

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by WhiteTeaRabbit
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 0 oz / 12 ml

• “FDT is all about the texture! The broth is weighty and sticky, like drinking a bone dense stock, making for an interesting body feel of a tea session. Flavor note wise, it is light. FDT leans on...” Read full tasting note
  • “I didn’t know what to expect from this tea. Honestly, I don’t think Paul’s descriptions on the W2T website are very helpful, so I emailed him describing the teas I enjoyed most from his selection...” Read full tasting note

From White2Tea

Product description not available yet.

About White2Tea View company

Flavor note wise, it is light. FDT leans on the savory side with sweet grass, vegetal, and sticky rice. It does get stewy tasting in the later infusions, but it very much drinkable. I think leafing harder than normal gives the best result, and I wouldn’t go under boiling as you’ll lose the texture and the flavor would be too weak.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2017-farmer-direct-tea-sheng-puer-white2tea/

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 1 g 0 OZ / 12 ML

I didn’t know what to expect from this tea. Honestly, I don’t think Paul’s descriptions on the W2T website are very helpful, so I emailed him describing the teas I enjoyed most from his selection and he recommended the FDT. So I added it to my cart, taking advantage of the free shipping weekend.

This one fits the profile I was looking for. I somehow manage to be that guy who receives the center of the bing, which took some time to pry apart. I’m not a fan of tightly compressed cakes, but I do see some benefits to this if those living in tropical Asia that want to maintain the youth of their sheng. This one felt as if it was still freshly pressed. It had a juiciness and stickiness to it. The initial infusions are light, sweet, floral, and a bit fruity (kiwi/white grapes?)…suspiciously Hekai. The tight compression warranted for longer steeping times.

After the 3rd infusion, I tried to pry apart the chucks while minimizing the ripping of leaves. The tea suddenly becomes thick, a bit cloudy, enzyme-y (almost carbonated!), multi-layered, and nicely textured. Notes of lilies, green apple, cedar wood, white pine, and grape skins join in a chorus of flavors and textures.

The brew is almost singing in my mouth and I feel wonderful. This one lingers nicely after the tea goes down and has a good body feel. The tea keeps this up for the next 6 to 7 steeps until I loose count. Later steeps have a bitter zing that rings for a bit—reminding me of Bulang bitterness. There is good depth in this one all the way to the end.

JC

This one surprised me, I just got the sample as I said ‘meh F*ck it, why not?’ it is pretty thick and satisfying. I share your opinion on Paul’s descriptions and the bing hole, I think I still have a sample from him from over a year and a half ago, its not worth getting that as a sample, sometimes I feel like they should have the hole as a cheaper sample. some are unbreakable.

tanluwils

Right? It was really difficult to pry apart, but I somehow managed to do so without making a bloody mess. I want to say this is one of my favorite teas I’ve sampled this year, but I know all these samples will taste much better after they’ve settled and acclimated.