2011 Yunnan Sourcing "Man Tang Hong Number 2" Ripe Pu-erh tea cake

Pu-erh Tea
Camphor, Dried Fruit, Spices, Wood, Chocolate, Earth, Thick, Heavy
Edit tea info Last updated by shakirah1984

• “I got this a few months ago with the 2011 sampler and forgot about it but the video on it reminded me. This is a really nice tea. Scott’s description is pretty spot on – camphor, wood, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I have had a sample of this one laying around since perhaps my first YS order. I just got around to trying it somehow. After rinsing, the leaves had quite a sweet aroma, like woody marshmallows. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “As this is my first time actually writing about tasting tea, I can’t say a whole lot. I am far too much of a tea novice to describe this as some of you could. I can say that this Pu-erh is very...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Our Man Tang Hong “Number 2” cake is composed from an average of grade 2 ripe tea leaves harvested from mature tea bushes in Mengku county (Lincang prefecture). The tea was picked in spring 2007 and fermented during the summer of 2007, then allowed to age for 4 years before being blended and pressed into these lovely cakes. 6 years of dry storage in Kunming has removed most of the “fermented flavor” (dui wei), leaving a full and round feeling in the mouth with hints of camphor. Being a medium level of fermentation, this tea is an appropriate candidate for longer-term aging during which time it will develop more smoothness and complexity.

Tea weight: 357 grams per cake (7 cakes per heavy-duty paper tong)

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I got this a few months ago with the 2011 sampler and forgot about it but the video on it reminded me. This is a really nice tea. Scott’s description is pretty spot on – camphor, wood, and sweetness followed by spice and dried fruit aftertaste. I’m not getting any bitterness at all unlike him but this tea definitely holds my interest. I can definitely taste a lot of similarities with the Gong Ting version but I want to say that that one was sharper in flavor. I’ll have to order samples of the two newer pressings of the Man Tang Hongs as I really like whatever that fermentation master is doing.

Flavors: Camphor, Dried Fruit, Spices, Wood

I have had a sample of this one laying around since perhaps my first YS order. I just got around to trying it somehow. After rinsing, the leaves had quite a sweet aroma, like woody marshmallows. The flavor was also rather sweet, but I didn’t find it to be particularly strong. Good body and thickness to the liquor. Woody earthiness and a bit of chocolate on the finish.

Flavors: Chocolate, Earth, Thick

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

As this is my first time actually writing about tasting tea, I can’t say a whole lot. I am far too much of a tea novice to describe this as some of you could. I can say that this Pu-erh is very delicious. This tea came as a sample in my first YS order. I initially had way too much tea in the travel Gaiwan. I did a flash wash and flash steeped the first 7 or 8 brews. It has a wonderful earthiness to it, which I guess one could say about many Pu-erh’s.
My other experiences with Pu-erh have been with older ones, and as such I believe this tee needs a few more years before it will be ready to (at least for me) to drink. Of course it could have to do with the first steep being really strong, and I may have kind of ruined my ability to thoroughly enjoy the tea. All-in-All it was a good tea, and it was a nice surprise to my order.

Flavors: Earth, Heavy