2010 NAN JIAN "CERTIFIED ORGANIC WU LIANG MINI BRICK" RAW PU-ERH TEA

Green Pu-erh Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Pureleaf

• “The risky buy of the month. It is the cheapest 100g-brick of puerh on Yunnansourcing.us and for a reason. First, the good stuff: it smells good. The wet leaf has a complex, multi-faceted aroma...” Read full tasting note
  • “Probably not the best puer starting point, but got to start somewhere! Hard to break apart. Leaves are pretty choppy. Actually I didn’t see a single whole leaf in the 5g I tried so far. Single...” Read full tasting note
  • “This brick is just that, a brick. Compressed too tightly and dry to break off a good solid piece. Comes off the brick in tiny particles which makes it quite a bitter brew. Very “chopped” leaves....” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Entirely certified organic material from Wu Liang mountain in Simao. Fruity and sweet with little astringency. This is a great high altitude organic tea with nice aroma and mouth-feel. Perfect for aging and affordable!

Spring 2010 material

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

First, the good stuff: it smells good. The wet leaf has a complex, multi-faceted aroma that is very enjoyable. No fishy smell, no pure decay.

Now, the bad part: it needs at least 5 more years to develop because the acidic tatse of the fermentation is there, ready to pounce and overpower everything else. Which is a shame, because there ARE a number of more subtle, interesting flavors. Unfortunately, the only way to bring them all on the scene together is to do super-short steeps of 5-10 secs, and avoid the boiling water. So, you end up “savoring” a weak puerh for a 2-3 steeps – after that regardless of your efforts the sourness pushes everything else in far corners of the palate.

Oh, and I forgot to add that the brisk is tightly packed and produces a lot of dust – and whatever is not dust consists of small broken leaf pieces and lots of stems. That is, even five years from now it will still be a low-grade puerh of a questionable quality.

The take-away: avoid this brick, there are much better shengs for just a little bit more money.

Probably not the best puer starting point, but got to start somewhere!

Single rinse. First step is pleasant but it’s easy to make bitter after that. Not sure if it’s my fault or the tea. I will use colder water next time; this water was close to boiling.

Even with the bitterness, it has a pleasant smokiness up front. At the end of the sip there’s a hint of a vegetal green tea taste, which I’m not the biggest fan of but that’s personal preference. There’s also a bite that lingers on the tounge.

I would like the smokey taste without the bitterness. I’m underwhelmed by this first attempt but hope that time and more brewing experiments will result in a nicer brew.

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This brick is just that, a brick. Compressed too tightly and dry to break off a good solid piece. Comes off the brick in tiny particles which makes it quite a bitter brew. Very “chopped” leaves. Think I’ll expose it to some humidity and see if i breaks better. First two steeps were not that bad but on the third the strong bitterness takes hold and doesn’t let go. I didn’t get past the fourth steep before jumping ship. It was a cheap small mini brick so I wasn’t expecting much. I wouldn’t really recommend this one as there are better offerings out there. This was my first “mini brick” so I’m not sure if they are all pretty bitter and chopped but I think I’ll stick with cakes when going small.

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML