Imperial Gold Needle Yunnan Black Tea

Honey, Malt, Mushrooms, Umami, Floral, Nutmeg, Spices, Spicy, Chocolate, Creamy, Honey Dew, Rose, Sweet Potatoes, Flowers, Sweet, Baked Bread, Dark Chocolate, Alcohol, Dates, Plums, Broth, Meat, Smooth, Thick, Melon, Cucumber, Honeydew, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrei Hajdukewycz

• “sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and i’m still...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been avoiding steepster for awhile. I’m back. YS is the company I buy the majority of my teas from, and this one is among my favorites. Today I’m attempting to compare the Spring and Fall...” Read full tasting note
  • “I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was...” Read full tasting note
  • “Autumn 2013 This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant, and...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

A kind of chocolate and malt taste comes from the brewed gold-orange tea soup. Aroma is thick and sweet. An enjoyable experience comes from the aroma, flavor and appearance of this lovely tea.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

sad to see this one go. I started my morning out with this one as there are still a few things to be doing around the house as we have friends coming over for dinner and board games…and i’m still working as some things came to light from last night’s testing that i need to sort out. I love this tea and i can’t even explain why. there’s something about it that just makes me want to drink it. Plus the leaves always make me smile :)

I’ve been avoiding steepster for awhile. I’m back.
Today I’m attempting to compare the Spring and Fall versions of this tea, both from 2015. So far all I can really say is that I enjoy them both, but the Spring rendition is probably preferred over the Fall. Why?
It has a sweeter taste and a creamier mouth.
Also, the Fall version is a little heavier in the kind of grassy hay-like flavor.

Having said that, I will happily drink either one of them on any day of the week!

MissLena

Welcome back! :D

juliebeth

hey me too, on a. being away from steepster and b. loving the IGNYBT! :)

I like this one a lot more than I expected to! I’ve made it gong fu style style and am on something like my 5th steep and it’s still going strong. Chocolaty, sweet, malty, not hay-y like I was expecting. This is a great cup. Thanks Terri Harplady!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve really enjoyed the teas I got from YS, & actually I’m drinking my first steep of this one right now!

Autumn 2013
This was an excellent tea which I enjoyed over six steepings. Upon opening the package, I could immediately smell the vibrant floral qualities of the tea. The tea was very fragrant, and smelled wonderful- a scent matching the beautiful leaves.

The dried leaves were a rich golden color, and were very straight and pointed. The brewed leaves retained the wonderful qualities of the dried tea, and produced a very refreshing brew- a bit of maltiness, floral notes, and a sweet aftertaste with hints of chocolate in the finish. Each steeping changed only slightly, increasing in floral notes.

I am a big fan of Yunnan Sourcing’s black teas and Imperial Gold Needle is one of my favorites.

The dry leaf is aromatic and pretty, it brews up sweet and malty.

Simply a delicious tea.

Autumn 2015 harvest
Tastes of sweet potato, honey and malt, spice and floral. A hearty and satisfying cup when brewed strong, which also brings out some tannins in the cup.

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g

this was for the Spring 2015
was impressed with its initial parfume. Floral, patchouli, cocoa, baked potato

first steep was approximately 80C. sweet milk chocolate, minerality, malt, dates. liquid velvet
increasing temperature gave a bit more body, though still quite light, and wine-like flavours and the dustiest of tannins. tingling minerality. this is elegant; everything in its right place. a long honeyed finish. The burgundy of black teas

Spring 2016

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Mushrooms, Umami

195 °F / 90 °C

Spring 2014 tea

The brewed tea has an incredible aroma of fresh flowers (lilac or geranium). There is also a note of creaminess in the scent. Very thick mouthfeel with strong floral notes (translated well from the aroma of the tea). Warm spice note- almost spicy but I could liken it to sweet nutmeg. I am utterly blown away by the complex flavours in this one- hard to believe it is not flavoured!

Thank you to Sil for the sample!

Flavors: Floral, Nutmeg, Spices, Spicy

:) yay!

this one is a tasty cuppa…like most imperial gold type teas, i do love it brewed THICK with added milk and sugar, call me a philistine, but if you’re looking for a cup of cozy, that is it.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Casey

I also love to, how do you say, over-steep this one. :P I’ll have to try it with milk next time! :)