Shui Jin Gui "Golden Water Turtle" Wu Yi Rock Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Almond, Apricot, Butter, Butterscotch, Camphor, Caramel, Char, Cinnamon, Clove, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Grass, Hay, Leather, Mineral, Nutmeg, Plums, Popcorn, Smoke, Sugar, Tobacco, Vanilla, Wood, Peanut
High
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “[Note: I just realized that the version of this tea I have been working on is the 2016 harvest from Yunnan Sourcing. I have deleted the previous review that I mistakenly posted under the Yunnan...” Read full tasting note
  • “Reviewing the Spring 2016 version of this tea. This tea has been the workhorse of my winter. My true daily drinker. Prep: 60 or 100cc gaiwan, full to brim, boiling water. 15s, 10, 10, 20, 20, 30,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been eying this oolong for the past 6 months. I finally decided to jump on 25g of this tea and gave it a go. When I first opened the package I first noticed a caramel scent that made itself...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Shui Jin Gui (lit Golden Water Turtle) is one of the four famous varietals grown in the Wu Yi mountain area. Shui Jin Gui has been grown since the Ming Dynasty, if not earlier. It’s a hardy bush but with only moderate-low output. Spring is the best, Autumn tea depending on the weather can be quite decent as well.

Every year in early or mid-May the fresh spring leaves are plucked. The pluck is typically 2 leaf to 1 bud or 3 leaf to 1 bud. The tea is then withered in the sun for an hour or so, then rolled to break up the leaf’s structure, releasing enzymes. Then fermentation process (also called sweating) is undertaken. The rolled tea is put into baskets and wet cloth is placed on top to boost and maintain the humidity level. The tea sweats for 5 or 6 yours and then roasted. The roasting process is done with fire at a temperature of about 70C. The roasting process halts oxidation process and “fixes” the tea into a more stable state. This roasting process is completed within 4 to 6 hours and then the tea is allowed to cool a bit before being roasted a second time with a lower temperature and shorter time interval. When the tea is done it should have a water content of about 7.5-8%.

The taste of Shui Jin Gui is complex, sweet potato, caramel, grass and spice all mixed into one delicious feeling! Difficult to describe… has to be experience to be fully appreciated!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

[Note: I just realized that the version of this tea I have been working on is the 2016 harvest from Yunnan Sourcing. I have deleted the previous review that I mistakenly posted under the Yunnan Sourcing US heading. Please note, however, that the content remains unchanged.]

After mowing down a couple of smaller samples, I decided to take a break and spend some time with a tea I had been looking forward to reviewing for at least a month. Of the Wuyi oolong cultivars, Shui Jin Gui is one of the most revered, and it is also often one of the most expensive. Apparently, Shui Jin Gui is very sensitive and does not yield in large quantities even in the best of years, making it one of the pricier Wuyi oolongs and one of the more difficult to obtain. I found this particular Shui Jin Gui very appealing.

I prepared this tea gongfu style. After the rinse, I steeped 6 grams of loose tea leaves in 4 ounces of 195 F water for 5 seconds. This infusion was chased by 13 additional infusions. Steep times for these infusions were as follows: 7 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, 25 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 50 seconds, 1 minute, 1 minute 15 seconds, 1 minute 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and 3 minutes. While I enjoyed the tea, I was not totally happy with my gongfu method this time around and I will be attempting to tweak it a bit in my next session.

Prior to the rinse, the dry leaves produced aromas of char, wood, smoke, spices, and dark chocolate. The rinse saw the previously mentioned aromas intensify. They were also joined by hints of damp grass, stone fruits, rock sugar, and coffee. The first infusion brought out touches of vanilla bean, roasted almond, caramel, and distinct impressions of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sweet ginger. In the mouth, I picked up notes of dark chocolate, wood, char, sweet ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, rock sugar, caramel, and smoke underscored by coffee, damp grass, and stone fruits. Subsequent infusions brought out the vanilla bean and stone fruit impressions. I began to get distinct notes of yellow plum and apricot. I also began to note emerging mineral, butter, and tobacco notes, as well as touches of camphor, clove, hay, and eucalyptus. The tea was quick to wash out, which is not all that unusual for Wuyi oolongs, though I am fairly certain that part of it was due to the brewing methodology I employed for this session. The mineral notes became much more pronounced and I began to detect notes of butterscotch and buttered popcorn. When I really focused in, I could still detect traces of tobacco, damp grass, char, wood, smoke, vanilla bean, and perhaps a touch of dark chocolate at one or two points. Yunnan Sourcing’s product description insisted there were notes of sweet potato in there somewhere, but I couldn’t find them. Yunnan Sourcing was, however, right about this tea being difficult to describe.

This was a fun and interesting tea. I am not certain my description does it justice; the aroma and flavor components were mellow, well-integrated, and constantly shifting. Every time I dug into it, I got impressions of something new. I would definitely recommend this tea to fans of traditional Wuyi oolongs. It’s not exactly a bargain, but it’s not nearly as expensive as other examples of this cultivar I have seen, and for the price, it has a ton to offer.

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Butter, Butterscotch, Camphor, Caramel, Char, Cinnamon, Clove, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Grass, Hay, Leather, Mineral, Nutmeg, Plums, Popcorn, Smoke, Sugar, Tobacco, Vanilla, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Ken

I have some of this tea on its way to me, from YS last oolong sale, so im kinda curious, what did you feel didnt work right, too little lead, too much leaf? 6 to 120 seems about standard at 1 to 20.

eastkyteaguy

Ken, I felt the amount of leaf used was appropriate, but I could have paced this session better. In the future, I plan on starting with a longer first infusion and spreading out the middle infusions in order to hopefully prolong the tea’s peak.

Ken

Gotcha, Ill let you know my thoughts when it gets here in about 2 weeks.

Prep: 60 or 100cc gaiwan, full to brim, boiling water. 15s, 10, 10, 20, 20, 30, 40, 60, 60
Sessions with this tea: 30+

Taste: Slow cooked, caramelized sweet potato, with maybe clover or some milder vegetal note on the early steeps. A hint of floral, low-medium roast notes, also a bit of savory soup note in the middle steeps.

Body: Medium thickness to the mouthfeel, good mineral strength. Highly playful across the tongue on the first 3 steeps. Moderate energy, sits in my neck and upper chest.

Very enjoyable tea which has been my workhorse “daily drinker” this winter season. I had a sample of the 2015, which I loved, so I bought a large quantity from 2016. It’s a pretty straight-forward yancha which has a playful melody and fun rock feeling across the first 3-4 steeps, and has an understated sweetness and nuttiness. The roast notes don’t trip over themselves or fade away, but are integral to the opening steeps. These things make this an ideal daily drinker for me, and I keep this bag at work and find myself reaching for it afternoons when I’m not in the mood to experiment with something new, or just want something enjoyable to sip on. I will miss this tea when I run out soon.

Liquid Proust

Really enjoyed this stuff too; Tea Trekker had some amazing 2009 of it

When I first opened the package I first noticed a caramel scent that made itself very present. Upon tasting this tea the soft gentleness of caramel with a light nutty background made itself faintly known. My session with this tea lasted around an hour and a half and got a dozen steeps out of it.

Overall it was very yummy and had avery nice softness to it. I’m not too familiar with Wu Yi oolongs to judge if this was good for its region, but it was incredibly tasty and worth the order. I’ll probably end up ordering more before its all said and done.

Well done.