"Zheng Yan 105" Wu Yi Rock Oolong Tea * Spring 2016

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Brown Sugar, Fruity, Lychee, Orange, White Grapes
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

5 Images

• “The “vintage” of tea I am drinking is the Spring 2015 version VS the 2016. I want to echo oceanica. I love this tea. It is delicious. This oolong is so heavy with fruit notes, the first infusion...” Read full tasting note
  • “Love this one! Nose; buttered wheat toast, honey ( yum ), lychee, very " warm ", slight rosewood, light orchid, light grass. Palate; Allspice, lychee, osmanthus, round, slight ginger, mandarin...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Varietal 105 is a unique Anxi varietal that’s a hybrid of Huang Jin Gui and Jin Guan Yin (Jin Guang Yin itself is a cross between Huang Jing Gui and Tie Guan Yin). As such, 105 could be considered 3 parts Huang Jin Gui and 1 part Tie Guan Yin. Due to the unique soil and growing conditions within the Zheng Yan growing area, and the unique Wu Yi processing, the resulting 105 tea is very much a Wu Yi tea despite it’s unique Anxi origins. It should be noted that varietal 105 was created by a Wu Yi local and is entirely unique to the Wu Yi Shan area.

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

The “vintage” of tea I am drinking is the Spring 2015 version VS the 2016. I want to echo oceanica. I love this tea. It is delicious. This oolong is so heavy with fruit notes, the first infusion tastes like a flavored tea. This is a real winner in my book.

I did this gong-fu style in a very small 50ml gaiwan, covering the bottom heavily with tea leaves (did not weigh). Short steeps. Dry leaves smell great. It reminds me of a fruit cake, sticky, sweet, dried fruits, brown sugar. Wet leaves smell similar, but have a bright fruity note like white grape juice, lychee.

Tasting is very fruity during the initial steeps. Lychee and white/green grapes is a good description here. Oceanica mentioned mandarin. I don’t think I would have said that on my own, but I agree. I think there is a hint of mandarin in the flavor. Mmm. mmmm. Good stuff.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tea. I could drink this every day. Highly recommended.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Fruity, Lychee, Orange, White Grapes

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML

Love this one!
Palate; Allspice, lychee, osmanthus, round, slight ginger, mandarin orange, slight grass.