Imperial Xinyang Mao Jian Green Tea of Henan

Green Tea
Apricot, Asparagus, Beany, Bitter, Broth, Cantaloupe, Chestnut, Herbs, Thick, Umami, Biting, Grass, Mint, Nutty, Pepper, Pine, Sage, Spicy, Vegetable Broth, Vegetables, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “I left the lid off the porcelain teapot so I could watch the leaves brew. It’s a beautiful tea. The leaves sink. On first sip, I questioned how often I would want to drink this kind of pungent,...” Read full tasting note
  • “[Spring 2018 harvest] This is an interesting green tea with quite a herbal character. The dry leaf smell is pungent, sweet and nutty. I also get an aroma of vegetable broth and sage. On the other...” Read full tasting note
  • “[Spring 2017 version] What an incredible tea. Tons of flavor, lots of complexity, long-lasting durability, very affordable… It checks every box. It also works extremely well both gong-fu and...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Xinyang Mao Jian (信阳毛尖) is a famous and ancient green tea produced in Xinyang township of Henan Province. It’s one of China’s Top 10 Famous Teas (十大名茶) and has a history of more than 2300 years. Mao Jian means furry tips. The tea is small and needle like , green with white furry strips on the inner side of the leaf.

The taste is classicly small leaf green tea with sweet and umami taste, the aroma is grass and pine, the feeling in the mouth is thick and pungent. Our offering is harvested in the middle of April a period after the freezing temperatures early spring have abated, before the rains when the weather is just beginning to warm up!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

I left the lid off the porcelain teapot so I could watch the leaves brew. It’s a beautiful tea. The leaves sink. On first sip, I questioned how often I would want to drink this kind of pungent, heavy Chinese green. Told myself ‘whatever, don’t bother with that thought now’ and continued brewing. As I sit here after the fourth steep, I realize this tea is incredible (well, I thought that after the second steep) and strikes some kind of note within me. It’s balanced. It didn’t upset my stomach. I am tea high. Togo — thanks.

95+

Flavors: Apricot, Asparagus, Beany, Bitter, Broth, Cantaloupe, Chestnut, Herbs, Thick, Umami

175 °F / 79 °C 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
derk

I don’t have a tea to add a bit of news but surrounding areas of my hometown in Ohio were hit by tornadoes last night. Nobody from home has called. I have to go to work so I don’t have time at the moment. I hope my friends and family and theirs are all safe :/

Martin Bednář

Oh no, derk! I hope too, let us know please. I will think about them in prayers as well :)

ashmanra

Please update when you can! I add my prayers!

derk

Thanks y’all. My friends and family are safe, still haven’t heard from one friend (where are you Visigoth???). There were some losses of cars and many trees. Other people in my aunt’s neighborhood weren’t so fortunate I’ve heard.

mrmopar

I have a fiend in Dayton. Lost everything. Glad to know your family is safe Derk.

derk

Sad to hear, mrmopar. If your friend needs any resources that can’t be provided through aid agencies, please let me know.

[Spring 2018 harvest]

This is an interesting green tea with quite a herbal character. The dry leaf smell is pungent, sweet and nutty. I also get an aroma of vegetable broth and sage. On the other hand the wet leaves smell of pine, grass, cauliflower, lemon balm and a touch of mint and basil.

The taste is kind of refreshing, with a strong sweetness, umami and a peppery finish. There are flavours of pine, sweetcorn, asparagus and nuts. Overall, I found the taste to be quite exciting. The aftertaste is also nice. It is has a vegetal bitterness and is a little biting. It reminds me a bit of tea tree oil. When brewed well (which, admittedly, took me a while to figure out), the mouthfeel is awesome – thick, brothy and soft.

As for brewing the tea, I found high leaf/water ratios to work the best, which is common for higher grade green teas. In order to avoid overly strong bitterness and astringency, one can reduce the temprerature as well as adopt a careful brewing, especially when pouring the water into the teapot.

Flavors: Asparagus, Biting, Bitter, Broth, Grass, Herbs, Mint, Nutty, Pepper, Pine, Sage, Spicy, Umami, Vegetable Broth, Vegetables, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 2 OZ / 70 ML
TJ Elite

I had a really high quality version of this tea in 2017. It was indeed quite tricky to brew. Ultimately I believe the best way I found was to simply keep flash-brewing until I felt like I needed to start extending the time. This is how I brew high quality Jin Jun Mei as well. Lower grade teas will likely behave very differently. This particular green tea tends to produce one of the densest cups of any green tea I’ve had with a really cloudy liquor from all the hairs and a really dense palate of flavors.

TJ Elite

Also, while normally a clay person, a silver teapot does wonders to green tea. It’s like cheating, really.

Togo

Oh really? I have never considered silver for green teas, not that I have a choice tbh :D
I am considering buying a silver gaiwan though, not just for green teas.

As for this particular tea, I will continue experimenting with it and see what I get.

TJ Elite

Silver gaiwans are my favorite form of silver teaware. That and silver cha hais. The cups get too hot for me to hold or comfortably drink from and teapots don’t really justify the price compared to a gaiwan IMO. Haven’t experimented too much which teas silver suits best, but I’ve always been very happy with the results with Chinese green teas. So much so that I always make sure to use silver so that I’m not wasting the potential of good tea. This is just my personal finding though. I only drink a couple of green teas a year when I can get them fresh and the season feels appropriate (summer), so my experience with them is limited to say the least.

[Spring 2017 version]

What an incredible tea. Tons of flavor, lots of complexity, long-lasting durability, very affordable… It checks every box. It also works extremely well both gong-fu and grandpa style. I don’t know what to fault this tea on, so I’ll give it my highest rating yet.

The complex flavor profile includes grass, vegetal umami, fruit, saltiness, and sweet spice. Flavors pop on your palate, but are balanced and always very pleasant. Also, flavors rise and fall throughout the session as if it were a puerh. New flavors are highlighted with different infusions. This even occurred while drinking grandpa style. Long-lasting complex aftertaste as well.

Maybe I’m gushing a little over this tea while it has me in its caffeine-induced sway, but this is an absolute masterpiece and a joy to drink. I can’t imagine a green tea being much better than this.

If you are fan of sencha, I would highly recommend you try this tea. There are definite parallels – grassiness, umami, some saltiness, fruit, etc. – but I think this tea offers more complexity and durability.

Dry Leaf – very sweet (like strawberries and cream flavoring!), pine, light beer malt, sugared berries. In preheated vessel: roasted corn, tomato vine, sun-dried tomato

Smell – mint, vegetal (corn, edamame, tomato vine), cooked blackberries

Taste – summer grass, vegetal (roasted corn, cooked spinach, edamame), some slight saltiness like edamame and salted cantaloupe, hints of sweet cinnamon and chocolate. Aftertaste of light mint, cantaloupe and hint of blackberry. The strawberry-cream note from the dry leaf is hinted at in the aftertaste as well.