Anji Bai Cha Green Tea of Zhejiang

Green Tea
Cream, Grass, Nuts, Soybean, Asparagus, Bok Choy, Chestnut, Green, Herbs, Lemongrass, Spinach, Sweet, Umami, Vegetables, Vegetal, Zucchini
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

• “First spring green tea of 2019 and my very first Anji Bai Cha. This is a tea that can taste dramatically different depending on the brewing method used. I gongfu steeped it initially and got what...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the first Anji Bia Cha I get a chance to properly try. I just had one sample from Tao Tea Leaf before. The price is relatively low, so I am not expecting a top grade, but I am definitely...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

Anji Bai Cha 安吉白茶 is referred to as Anji White Tea, but in reality it’s a green tea. The taste and aroma is incredibly unique and complex, but that of a green tea.

It is called a white tea because the unpicked leaves are more white than green due to the low amount of chlorophyll. This varietal is relatively new and “discovered” in 1982 in Anji County of Zhejiang Prefecture. The original mother tea plants were cloned and cultivated in Anji county only. Our offering was harvested from these cloned original varietal cultivars and was grown within Anji County.

This is a very sweet and thick tea if brewed correctly. We recommend using 75-80c temperature high quality spring water and short steeping times to get the most from this lovely tea! We chose this particular grade because we felt it was tasty, took a good number of steeps and had a good price to quality ratio! We hope you’ll agree!

Harvested Late-March into Early April

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

First spring green tea of 2019 and my very first Anji Bai Cha. This is a tea that can taste dramatically different depending on the brewing method used. I gongfu steeped it initially and got what tasted like a delicate vegetable broth mixed with fresh linens. Not bad, but not terribly exciting either. Today I grandpa steeped it and it blew my socks off.

The leaves are visually stunning. Bright pistachio green and shaped into elegant pine needles with a wonderful aroma of asparagus, matcha, and something vaguely floral. The wet leaf had more prominent vegetal notes of zucchini, edamame, chard, and arugula-like pepperiness. The taste of the tea reminded me of dragon well but creamier and not as nutty. It’s a thick, luscious creaminess that tastes like drinking soymilk mixed with a ray of sunshine. I also got hints of pistachio and what tasted like matcha powder. As the leaves continued to sit in the hot water, light vegetal and grassy notes appeared along with a little honeysuckle in the background. No bitterness whatsoever no matter how long I steeped it for. A great tea for throwing in the tumbler or thermos mug.

I know Anji Bai Cha can command ridiculous prices so I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one considering the low price price but its a really yummy green tea. A good value for the quality you get.

Flavors: Cream, Grass, Nuts, Soybean

180 °F / 82 °C 2 g 11 OZ / 325 ML
Ubacat

Yes, this one is very good quality for the price. Those leaves definitely have to stay in the water a decent amount of time. I brew mine with a cup and infuser and leave them in a full 2 min.

This is the first Anji Bia Cha I get a chance to properly try. I just had one sample from Tao Tea Leaf before. The price is relatively low, so I am not expecting a top grade, but I am definitely excited to try it.

Overall, I would say it’s quite delicious and distinctive profile. A lot of its fresh vegetal qualities will probably fade over time, so I will try to finish it asap. I had two sessions with it so far, one with 140ml pot and one with a 60ml gaiwan, even though I used the same amount of leaf in each – 4g. The flavours were definitely stronger and more tasty in the latter, but I think the lighter body of the former allowed for more subtle notes to shine.

The aromas of the dry leaves are very green and somewhat light, reminiscent of asparagus, chestnut, grass, nettle and thistles. In the wet leaves I can also smell some lemongrass. The taste is very vegetal with decent umami and sweetness. There are notes of spinach, lemon balm, cream, carambola, bok choy and courgette. I really like the aftertaste, which is long and sweet and exudes a cooling sensation in the throat. It reminds me of a mix if fresh herbs and sautéed greens. Mouthfeel is velvety and buttery with light to medium body. The cha qi is nice too, very relaxing. It reminds me of japanese greens, but seems to have less caffeine.

Flavors: Asparagus, Bok Choy, Chestnut, Cream, Grass, Green, Herbs, Lemongrass, Spinach, Sweet, Umami, Vegetables, Vegetal, Zucchini

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Martin Bednář

This sounds like very nice green.

LuckyMe

I ordered the same tea from YS. The flavor profile your described sounds delicious..can’t wait to try it.

Togo

I drank it today again and it put me in a very dancy mood. So I played some African tunes and started dancing around my room :D