Organic Kirishima Asatsuyu Sencha

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Grass, Green, Seaweed, Freshly Cut Grass, Sweet, Umami, Fruity, Sweet, warm grass
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by LuckyMe

• “This was my first foray into chumushi sencha and ordering from yuuki-cha for that matter. It’s a delcious unami filled tea, with the first infusion brewed at low temperature really brings it out....” Read full tasting note
  • “4th tea from Yuuka-Cha and it is a winner too. I really did well from Yuuka-Cha choosing 4 teas I never had before and love them all. Of course I just placed a 2nd ordering an old favourite plus...” Read full tasting note
  • “Revisiting this tea after first trying it during my pre-gong fu “dark ages.” It definitely tastes different this time around. Part of it may be due to the variance in last year’s harvest, but...” Read full tasting note

From Yuuki-cha

This organic sencha comes directly to us from the Hiyashi family who we have been purchasing teas from for many years now. They run a very professional and immaculately kept organic tea plantation in Kirishima, Kagoshima, Japan, where they are producing some really excellent organic teas.

This particular organic sencha of theirs is made from one of the really great old cultivars of Japan called Asatsuyu which is also known a Natural Gyokuro (or Tennen Gyokuro in Japanese). Pretty much the crème de la crème of the year’s harvest at the Hayashi’s organic tea plantation in Kirishima, but being that the focus of this tea is totally on quality, the production volume is very small each year. Thus, this organic sencha is a limited offering.

This year’s offering is approximately a medium steamed organic sencha with the sublime sweet aromas of true 100% Asatsuyu cultivar and has a long sweet finish which lingers in the back of the mouth and continues to spread sweet splendor for a prolonged time.

About Yuuki-cha View company

This was my first foray into chumushi sencha and ordering from yuuki-cha for that matter. It’s a delcious unami filled tea, with the first infusion brewed at low temperature really brings it out. First steep has strong notes of unami and grassyness with bery slight astringgency. Later steeps become sweeter but a characteristic green tea taste and vegetalbleness. I’m not finding as much buttery and sweetness but all together I’ve really enjoyed this sencha and would order again.

1st – 160 for 1 minute
2nd – 170 flash
3rd – 175 for 45s
4th – 180 2 mins

Flavors: Grass, Green, Seaweed

160 °F / 71 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

4th tea from Yuuka-Cha and it is a winner too. I really did well from Yuuka-Cha choosing 4 teas I never had before and love them all. Of course I just placed a 2nd ordering an old favourite plus one extra.

So my first impression when taking a sip of this tea was how sweet it was. Super sweet! It’s fruity too with a bit of buttery taste. There’s a good umami taste to it but it’s not intense like some sencha or gyokuro teas. Sometimes that intense green taste is just too much for me even though I do love it.

I was lazy today. I brewed all my other teas in my shiboridashi but just feeling like something more simple today. So I brewed it in a cup with an infuser at 75C for 30 sec.. It really is amazing. Even the last little drop with some leaves in it is not bitter. Still super sweet.

This tea was 16.65 US for 100g so it was in the mid-range. Definitely worth it. I am blown away by how good this tea is and I didn’t even use any special brewing. Very thankful to all that left reviews on Yuuki-Cha’s website as I based my tea purchases on that.

apefuzz

Wow. I wasn’t planning on getting any sencha this year, but I might have to make an exception!

tanluwils

I haven’t bought from Yuuki in a while, but since I started tea-drinking as a hobby through them they hold a special place in my heart. I’ve been meaning to try this one. I appreciate their simplicity in all aspects – business model, website, offerings, and marketing. They bring reliable quality.

Revisiting this tea after first trying it during my pre-gong fu “dark ages.” It definitely tastes different this time around. Part of it may be due to the variance in last year’s harvest, but ever since I adopted the gong fu approach – high leaf to water ratio and short steeps – my tea brewing has improved across the board. Japanese greens are no exception. I used to brew them the generic western style: a teaspoon per 8 oz of water for 1 minute or longer. But cutting steep times and doubling the leaf quantity really brings out their character.

This tea is very fragrant out of the bag. Wonderful sweet grass and fruity flavor. I begin by steeping 2g in a 150ml pot for 30s for the first infusion. This infusion packs a nice fruity punch. Reminds me of kamairicha but with warm grass in the background and umami. Texture in the mouth is like silk. The second infusion is a flash steep with water a tad cooler which produces a bright green liquor and deeper vegetal flavor as the fruitiness shifts to the background. Next 2 steeps are 40s and 55s at higher temperatures that give more of a standard sencha flavor with a good sweet/savory balance.

Teas like this are why Yuuki-Cha remains my favorite Japanese tea vendor. I really enjoyed the unique fruity-umami profile of this tea. It was a nice change of pace from the string of deep steamed senchas I’ve been drinking. Portioning out the 100g bag into foil zip pouches and refrigeration helped it retain a lot of freshness since I bought it over 4 months ago.

Flavors: Fruity, Sweet, warm grass, Umami

165 °F / 73 °C 0 min, 30 sec 2 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
tanluwils

Love Yuuki-cha’s senchas. They were my first online tea vendor. Too bad they don’t sell any more teas from Shizuoka like they used to, though. I think the Uji one is their only tea from Honshu.