drank Maiden's Ecstasy by Samovar

Ok, this is my first Pu-erh. This one seemed to have better reviews then others so I bought a sample of it. The leafs smell fishy. Not very strong but for tea, it just feels wrong to me. when brewed the smell is much the same. The color is very dark with a hint of red. If I drank this in front of others they would likely think I was drinking coffee.
For the taste, very weird. Honestly, I feel like if you removed all the saltiness from soy sauce it might taste similar. It’s not offensive. I had been afraid it would be. On first taste though, this isn’t something I’d buy.
So, this one might be good with a dinner next to a beach. I could see myself growing to like it. I’ll probably give it another try at some point in the future but right now, it’s too intense and mature a taste for me.

Cofftea

Melissa, if you’re looking for different parameters in hopes of liking it more you may want to try 1g/1oz of boiling (or just below boiling if you want to preserve health benefits), steep for 10-20 seconds and disgard- this is your rinse, then continue steeping for 20 second infusions (you can start drinking after the rinse) til you find the flavor too weak for your taste, then increase by 10 sec. I hope this helps!=D

Melissa

Thanks! I didn’t have any more to try from the beginning but I did another steep at 20 seconds. It still feels a bit heavy for me although I can see myself liking it a little more. It’s definitely worth trying again at some point in the future. I have a sample of Golden Moon too that I’ll try at some point. I’ll certainly do shorter steeps for this in the future though.

Comments

Cofftea

Melissa

I’m a Christian family medicine resident.

I enjoy tea obviously. I’m new to the variety of tea out there.

Music: most but lately I’ve been most into Celtic and country. I play the flute.

Otherwise, I teach myself to crochet, cross stitch, and sew.

Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors.

PA, USA