This was my first experience with rooibus. Having read of its medicinal flavor, I thought coupling it with my absolute most favorite icecream flavors might be a good way to start.

When I opened the package I was thrilled with the dominant and familiar scents of mint and chocolate but a little put off by the unfamiliar aromatic background offered by the rooibus – but I was determined to persist.

I continued by preparing the liquid by following the recommended steeping directions precisely (1-2tsp, 200degF, 3-5 min) using a stainless steel tea infuser with my favorite ceramic mug. Except for the aromatic, the scent was strongly reminiscent of my favorite icecream and I began to sip with some enthusiasm – for a bit.

Although I enjoyed the flavor initially – the mint chocolate was component was perfect – but the aromatic background from the rooibus became tiresome rather quickly – as did the the somewhat chalky mouthfeel.

I guess I will need to experiment a bit with flavors and and steeping conditions. Perhaps in my enthusiasm for the minted chocolate flavor I oversteeped the tea. I guess I will need to get more sample to investigate.

I guess for me, rooibus based beverages may eventually fall into the “aquired taste” category as I definitely had the sense of possibility – and the prospect of a naturally caffeine-free hot night time beverage is still attractive.