Just breaking open my sampler of 50 teas from Golden Moon, and this one literally jumped out at me. Opening it up was heaven – warm, toasty coconut smell, with a little bit of something resembling marzipan. Infusing it was interesting! The intense smell of the coconut dissipated a little, and the ‘greeniness’ of the leaves started to creep in, in a nondescript, mellow kind of way. I let it steep for 3 minutes, I think next time I’d pull it out at 2 instead. The first taste that I get is definitely the green, but it blossoms out into that same warm, toasty coconut smell that I first experienced. Definitely not screamingly sweet, but delicately so. There’s a faint tang of bitterness, but I think that’s my fault for leaving it in a minute more than I had intended.

Sweetening this after tasting it first has a really interesting effect on the tea. Sweetness brings the toasty coconut to your palate first, which then washes into the green, and then back to the coconut it goes (killing a bit of the bitter tang that I had accidentally created, by the way). Definitely a solid tea, one I’d certainly try again! Much prefer this to Zhena’s Coconut Chai, but that’s a whole different animal, so I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to compare. Have to see what a second infusion might do to this!