Organic Wild Tree Pu-Erh Mini Tuo Cha

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Trying this one for a second time, and I'll be switching up the parameters a little, decreasing the steep time to see what flavors that brings out. I still find the tuo cha to have a very mild and...” Read full tasting note
    AdhamL 237 tasting notes
  • “Oh, how delighted and tickled pink I was to find the Arbor tea company! Here IS a place that reflects all of my values: organic, fair trade and packaging that is backyard compostable! I must be...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2169 tasting notes
  • “No rating, because that just wouldn't be fair ;) I am proud of myself - I finally made it through my first cup of pu-erh! I'm trying to build up a taste for it, but right now it still tastes...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 242 tasting notes
  • “This is a very solid example pu-erh and its comparatively easy on the palate. Earthy, full bodied mineral "cave floor" mineral/mushrooms without any gnarly leather notes. Brings a nice Qi to boot...” Read full tasting note
    Sixiecr 22 tasting notes

From Arbor Teas

This organic, Fair Trade Certified pu-erh tea is composed of a select grade of pu-erh compressed into a small birds’ nest shape. Its inky brown infusion is rich and sweetly-flavored, with mineral earthiness and the characteristic musty aroma. Our mini tuo cha uses a higher grade of tea than most, resulting in a big body and smooth finish. It hails from the Jing Mai Mangjing region of China’s southwestern Yunnan province, made from the 1300-year-old tea trees found there, and uses the Shu Cha or “cooked” method of manufacture whereby the pu-erh undergoes an additional oxidation step that speeds-up the aging process and improves in taste over time. Each mini tuo cha is individually wrapped and perfect for a small teapot or can be broken apart to accommodate a single serving. Like most pu-erh, one mini tuo cha can be steeped multiple times.

Sustainability is a cornerstone of Arbor Teas’ business philosophy. In addition to offering an exclusively organic selection of teas, they recently became the first tea company to offer their whole catalog in 100% backyard compostable packaging. They’ve also carbon-offset the entire supply chain of their products, from origin to the customer, making Arbor Teas the greenest option for Earth-conscious tea drinkers, and one of few tea companies recognized by Green America.

About Arbor Teas View company

We’re tea enthusiasts with a lot of passion. Passion for top quality tea, the environment, fair trade, and our community. We started Arbor Teas in Ann Arbor, Michigan, intent on creating a tea company as passionate as we are. Our passion is reflected in every aspect of Arbor Teas. You’ll certainly notice it in the exceptional collection of teas we offer - one of the largest catalogs of USDA certified organic teas around, nearly three-quarters of which are Fair Trade Certified®.

Trying this one for a second time, and I’ll be switching up the parameters a little, decreasing the steep time to see what flavors that brings out. I still find the tuo cha to have a very mild and slightly nutty aroma, and the liquor to be not as reddish as many other pu erhs.

An initial rinse, and then a one minute steeping time. Now rather than savory, the liquor is sweet, with a definite earthy flavor and something akin to chocolate in the background. Very different from the inital long steep I did last time. The second steep is at two minutes, and is still quite sweet. I’m also getting more of the savory at this stage, plus continuing earthiness. I think this would be a good tea to continue experimenting with – it seems to yield interestingly different results with varying parameters.

Oh, how delighted and tickled pink I was to find the Arbor tea company!

Here IS a place that reflects all of my values: organic, fair trade and packaging that is backyard compostable! I must be dreaming… no, it’s true! and it’s fabulous!

This little pu-erh mini tuo cha is fantastic. I’m not a pu-erh expert but am VERY happy with this. It has a smooth and fantastic rich flavor. Aroma smells of trees, mulch and a bit of mushrooms. Taste is rich and luscious with a slightly tart finish with the complexity of a red wine. Slight sense of tobacco in the finish. It is reminiscent of coffee as well but without much bitterness. Me likey…

Second steep is a bit more mellow and is now getting chocolatey…

I’m having this after lunch and it’s heavenly to sip on just plain. Hurray! I will certainly need to get some more soon since this was only a sample…

ScottTeaMan

I really like Pu-Erh mini Tuo Cha teas….and multiple steeping. :))

TeaBrat

you should try this one.

ScottTeaMan

IF YOU HAVE ENUFF COULD YOU SEND ME ONE? If not, it’s OK. :))

TeaBrat

sorry, all I got was a sample. Just had two and they are both gone.

Hehehehehe….that’s OK. :))

ScottTeaMan

How many steeps did you get? Just two, or more?

TeaBrat

I did three but you could probably do more

No rating, because that just wouldn’t be fair ;)

I am proud of myself – I finally made it through my first cup of pu-erh! I’m trying to build up a taste for it, but right now it still tastes like a fish tank smells. My husband assures me that this is much better than the tin he got at the Asian market, and it was fun to pull out the new gaiwan, but I’m not quite up to enjoying it yet. Someday!

This is a very solid example pu-erh and its comparatively easy on the palate. Earthy, full bodied mineral “cave floor” mineral/mushrooms without any gnarly leather notes. Brings a nice Qi to boot and is friendly enough for daily drinking. A good introduction to the world of ripe pu-erh; mellow enough, yet brings a full bodied genuine pu-erh experience.