Thé au Caramel

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Nattie
Boiling 8 min or more 14 oz / 400 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I had this tea as a lunchtime treat as I fancied something sweet, and found this at the back of my tea drawer after a bit of rummaging. I bought these teabags for ease of brewing when I was in the...” Read full tasting note
    NatalieOgden 51 tasting notes

From Britley

Product description not available yet.

About Britley View company

1 Tasting Note

I had this tea as a lunchtime treat as I fancied something sweet, and found this at the back of my tea drawer after a bit of rummaging. I bought these teabags for ease of brewing when I was in the south of France for a holiday last Easter, had a couple of cups and (as I remember) wasn’t impressed by the weak flavour, so I left them to be forgotten about until now. As I remembered them to be fairly weak, I used two bags for a mug this time round (I like my tea pretty strong) and left it for about 10 minutes.

When you first open the little sachet, the caramel smell hits you right away, and it smells so good, but definitely delicate. When steeping, this smell doesn’t diminish, but the black tea scent behind it comes up a bit more.

Plain – I am definitely glad I used two bags, because I hit on the perfect strength for me, and it would have definitely been too weak otherwise. That being said, it was a tiny bit bitter from my oversteeping, so I felt the need to add milk, although I think it would have been just fine without if I didn’t leave if for too long. And I usually feel the need to add milk to all black teas.

With sugar – I had a feeling adding sugar might enhance the caramel and play down the bitterness a little, and I can confidently say that this is the first tea I have EVER experienced where sugar actually made it more bitter, which I was not expecting at all.

With milk and sugar – after the bitter surprise from the sugar, there was no way I could drink this without milk. I added a splash of skimmed milk (I think 2% in US, maybe?) and oh. My. God. Did it make a difference. The caramel flavour was back with a vengeance, even creamier from the milk so that it was almost like drinking liquid fudge. The taste from the black tea works as an excellent base to keep it from being too sweet, and I swear I could drink this all day.

A definite rainy day treat, and I am actually upset that it only came with 25 sachets, as that means I only have 6 or 7 more of these before it’s a sipdown, and I can’t get to France to buy more! ): I will definitely be looking for the perfect caramel loose-leaf substitute when this is gone, although I think it will be hard to beat!

Flavors: Caramel