Jin Xuan Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Cream, Milk, Roasted, Salt, Seaweed, Floral, Smooth, Sweet, Fruit Tree Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Eco-Cha Artisan Teas

This batch of tea leaves come from the most active tea maker and merchant we know. This man enters virtually every Oolong Tea competition in Taiwan, including the largest and most prestigious Oolong Tea competition in the world. He consistently achieves high ratings in all of these competitions. In fact, when we picked up this batch, he brewed a sample of another batch of this same type of tea that won first prize in the Nantou County Jin Xuan Oolong competition of 2,400 entries. This is a region that is comprised of some the best tea makers in the world, and he placed first. He is a highly motivated, intelligent and progressive individual – making him an exemplary figure in his field.

Flavor: Nutty, buttery, savory winter vegetables, woody notes. Smooth Oolong fragrant finish.

Garden: This batch of tea was made by an artisan who won first prize in this year’s Nantou County Jin Xuan Oolong Tea Competition of 2,400 entries, and Nantou is home to the best oolong tea makers in the world. The tea he produces is, in a word, exemplary.

Harvest: Machine cut. Medium batch.

Elevation: 400m

About Eco-Cha Artisan Teas View company

This is quite possibly the best “milk oolong” type Oolong teas that I’ve ever tasted. It is amazing.

It is remarkably creamy and has a fresh, exhilarating flavor. Notes of cream, notes of fruit, honeyed flavors, and you know that milky, smooth consistency and flavor that those of us who love milk Oolongs … well that consistency and flavor is why we love milk Oolongs isn’t it? This tea … has got it in spades.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/06/jin-xuan-oolong-tea-from-eco-cha/

fresh milk and nothing else.

I have returned from my little hiatus! My birthday was all sorts of awesome, good company, good food, mind-boggling awesome presents, and of course good tea. I still feel a little overwhelmed, basking in the afterglow of a wonderful couple of days, but it is time to return to a semblance of normalcy. On non-birthday news, it is frigid! A very chilly day, meaning it is time to break out the toast hand warmers, delightfully plushie kawaii toasts with heating elements in them, they were a Christmas gift from my sister from another mother, and I always get excited for the cold because it means I can wear incredibly cute toasts on my hands.

Today I am going to do something a little different, I have reviewed a lot of Eco-Cha’s teas, but I always present them Gongfu style, but that is not the only way I drink it. In fact, bowl style (or Grandpa steeping, both names technically work) is fast becoming my favorite way to drink Jin Xuan, and so with that, why not take a look at the Spring 2015 Jin Xuan brewed up bowl style, time to show off how versatile these leaves can be. Also it shows off how huge they can get when really soaked and given lots of room to move around. Before I can drench the leaves in water, I need to give them a good sniffing, and what a joy that is because these leaves are very pleasantly aromatic. Notes if sweet custard, freshly baked pastry (kinda reminds me of a croissant because it is also very buttery) and a delicate touch of toasted sesame seeds. There is also a delicate undertone of fresh growth and woodiness with a distant hint of wildflowers.

Now that I have finally pulled my nose out of the leaves, it is time to steep! For Jin Xuan grandpa style I tend to use 190° water, it can take hotter but it tends to be more savory than sweet that way, and tends to finish quicker. The aroma that comes out of my bowl as I want the leaves dance around is quite yummy, buttery and sweet with rich notes of pastry and sesame seeds, and of course the familiar Jin Xuan custard and spicy lily notes that I adore so much. My first draining of the bowl starts light and sweet, with a creamy mouth. The taste is a blend of buttery pasty and sweet custard, similar to sesame seed custard with a gentle floral and green finish.

The more the leaves unfurl the stronger the tea gets, several bowls later a really unique thing I have only experienced with grandpa style Jin Xuan happens, it gets salty. Not salty as in, someone trolled me and poured salt on my tea, salty in the way that I just licked a rock and it has that mineral salt taste. It is earthy and blends wonderfully with the now quite strong green notes and buttery thickness. This is very distinct, I have had plenty of oolongs give me a mineral slate note, but only bowl style Jin Xuan gives me that saltiness and I absolutely love it, even if the first time I encountered it really surprised me. I got many refills of the tea, it is a tea that is perfect for those days where I want the oolong but either I am lounging in bed, out and about using my travel steeper, or busy painting/writing and don’t want to split my focus between what I am doing and gongfu cha. This is a tea you can spend the whole day with, easily.

For blog and sexy leaf photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/11/eco-cha-jin-xuan-oolong-tea-spring-2015.html

Toast handwarmers! Eee!!!

Interesting. It’s like they took the Mandala milk oolong and dialed it back a touch. Just a touch. It’s still terrifically tasty, but for now I continue to prefer the Mandala.

I tried this again with one teaspoon rather than two teaspoons that became a little too much since the leaves are the most tightly bundled oolong leaves I have ever seen. This time was much better, though I did love the luxuriousness thickness and texture of the last steep sessions first cup. I think that steep was perfect but the leaves became too many leaves for the second and third steeps. If I could figure out the best way to steep two teaspoons, I’m sure those steeps would be perfect too. It’s always a science with tea! This time around, all of the steeps were somehow very similar which is kind of surprising for an oolong. A lovely milky creamy flavor, just not as nicely textured as the first steep of the last session. But I did enjoy that there wasn’t a bitter overdone flavor… not at all the fault of the tea. And with one teaspoon of leaves, my infuser basket was STILL full of leaves! Next time, I shall try 1 1/2 teaspoons.
Steep #1 // one teaspoon for a full mug// 10 minutes after boiling // 1 minute steep
Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 1 1/2 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 1 minute steep

Thank you Liquid Proust for this sample!

Tasting #1 – Steep Time 2 Minutes
No distinguishable aroma with a very light color. No flavor can be detected at this time.

Tasting #2 – Steep Time 4 Minutes
Very light roasted aroma, slightly darker in color but no difference in flavor.

Tasting #3 – Steep Time 6 Minutes
There is a hint of saltiness to this now that makes the roasted flavor a bit more robust. I opened the teapot to smell the leaves and they smell exactly like seaweed, but the salty flavor isn’t overwhelming to my tongue. More like a finishing salt, helping to complete a meal.

But it isn’t enough to make me love this tea. I want more from my tea, but this one doesn’t even meet my bare necessities.

Flavors: Roasted, Salt, Seaweed

I got this as part of a sample pack from Eco-Cha that also included High Mountain Concubine and Dong Ding. I decided to brew this gongfu, about a tbsp of tea, 190, first steep of a minute. Pale yellow liquor. Interesting aroma. As the leaves open more they are huge and filling my gaiwan. Aroma and flavor are both floral and buttery. Another reviewer said it’s similar to Mandala’s milk oolong, but dialed down a bit. Agreed, though I prefer the sweetness of Mandala’s version. I get the butter, particularly in terms of mouthfeel, but not so much the milk. This tea actually reminds me more of Mandala’s Golden Turtle, which I think I described in my review as drinking buttered flowers. There’s a bit of astringency in later steeps. Of the three teas I received from Eco-Cha, I would say I preferred this one the least, but that is probably because I prefer roasted oolongs generally.

This tea was sent to me from AnnaEA. What an excellent tea and thanks for sending some my way.

I’m on my 3rd cup of this milk oolong and this tea is outstanding! So far my favourite milk oolong has been Tealux’s Jin Xuan milk oolong. That one was very buttery , milky, sweet oolong and I don’t remember a lot of floral notes in it.

This one is milky , sweet & buttery too but a bit on the lighter side. It has wonderful floral notes that are quite prominent as the cup cools down. It’s smooth and sweet with no bitterness. Cup #2 was best for buttery & milky but Cup #3 has the best floral notes. This tea is sooooo good it has me looking into Eco-Cha’s website.

Steeped : Cup 1 190F – 2 min
Cup 2- 3 min
cup 3 – 4 min

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Milk, Smooth, Sweet

This is a really good milk oolong. So yummy!! Creamy. Delicious.

editing to add a couple pictures

I won! Thank you Eco for sending me this delicious tea.
It’s just what I’ve been craving… a barely roasted green oolong. YUM!
Unfortunately I accidentally steeped this for longer than I should have. The dirty dishes distracted me and I got carried away sorting them out. Sighs.
Oh well, the tea tastes great anyhow. Very floral. The smell reminds me of tulips. or perhaps magnolias. A little earthy in that flowery way. I like it!
The taste is floral as well, but also a bit sweet like the flower is caramelized, and just slightly creamy. The lingering aftertaste is really nice as well. Sweet like a pastry, though not really bready. I can’t wait to try it out in a gaiwan :D

Congratulations on winning! I loved this one too :)

It really is good! I’m thinking I’ll try it in my gaiwan soon

Wow! This sounds delicious. My mouth was watering by the end of your review.

It IS quite the amazing tea. Though a little light for my tastes,now that I think about it