Sencha Superior

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by thé-teux

• “Received the tasting set from Hibiki-An today with this tea in it. First thing that I noticed - the leaves color is really bright. I'd say its as bright(emeraldishy) green as Verdant's TGY after...” Read full tasting note
    zeks 92 tasting notes

From Hibiki-an

Sencha Superior is an excellent balance of quality and value.

Sencha is harvested three or four times a year. But with each harvest, the tea becomes slightly lower in quality. This is why the first flush, or Ichiban Cha, is the best.

All of our Sencha products are made exclusively from Ichiban Cha.

Sencha contains more of the beneficial nutrient catechin than other green teas, because it is grown in full sunlight, thus it becomes yellowish green in colour. Sencha tastes gently astringent and smells wonderfully fresh.

Sencha is the most popular tea in Japan. Almost 80% of all tea produced in Japan is Sencha — 130 million Japanese green tea lovers can’t be wrong!

About Hibiki-an View company

Received the tasting set from Hibiki-An today with this tea in it.

First thing that I noticed – the leaves color is really bright. I’d say its as bright(emeraldishy) green as Verdant’s TGY after it unrolled (I know, I know they are totally different in taste :) )

So is the liquid actually – greenish :) never had a chinese tea assume such a color so I guess it’s japanese specialty. The liquid came out a bit opaque as there were some dusty particles in the tea but its ok.

The taste is… well, unlike any other green tea. I guess the process of steaming the leaves used for sencha really makes a difference. A huge one I’d say. Actually, I can feel the steaminess in the taste :) It is watery and bittery and very floral-greenishy but at the same time with a kinda sweet aftertaste that lingers after the liquid went further down.

The second infusion is much smoother in taste in compariosn, the bitterness of first steeping has been tamed and the underlying profile is more discernable.

What’s interesting – the liquid seems thick with taste. As if every bit of it contains tea powder(almost like matcha) that constantly releases more tea particles. This is not the case here ofc, but the feeling is kinda the same.

Overall – very fresh, thick, kinda bitter and sweet and refreshing at the same time. I like it.

P.S. I’d say that the strongest characteristic of this tea is a powerful and long lasting buttery-sweet aftertaste underneath the tongue.

UPD: this tea totally obliterates thirst. I’ve had 2 cups and I have to force myself to drink the third. On one hand – it is just as tasty, on the other – I do not want to drink anything anymore. >_< I am unsure if this is a good or bad thing in this case :)