Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrsboz99

• “I have steeped this tea a few different ways. But so far, my favorite is gong fu style coming out right off the boil for 45 seconds on the first brew, 20 seconds on the second steep, and 45-60...” Read full tasting note
    chriswilhite 36 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

At 2600 meters above sea leavel, Fu Shou Shan is the second highest peak in the Lishan Range, exceeding Lishan (for which the mountain range is named) by almost 400 meters.

Because of its higher elevation and more northerly latitude, Fu Shou Shan’s harvest begins much later than most Formosa oolongs. At that elevation, strong but short sun exposure in the morning produces intense flavor compounds, while cooler mist-enshrouded afternoons allow the plant to store those compounds.

The result is an incredibly flavorful and complex tea with an amazing degree of balance and restraint, with absolutely no astringency or bitterness. An initial brew delivers aromatic notes of sugarcane and grass. Subsequent brews reveal more complex floral and citrus notes that bring to mind grapefruit, oranges and apples.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

I have steeped this tea a few different ways. But so far, my favorite is gong fu style coming out right off the boil for 45 seconds on the first brew, 20 seconds on the second steep, and 45-60 seconds on later steeps.
I really like this tea. It has some honey/nectar to it. Nice lingering aftertaste.
Very subtle. You have to be relaxed and really put the time into it in order to “get” this tea.
And I really like Red Blossom’s ability to bring us freshly harvested teas.

asewonder

I’m curious to know what your tea/water ratio was for gong fu style?

Chris Wilhite

I use a small yixing pot. It’s volume is roughly 100 ml. I use about 7 – 8 grams of the tea kernels. I’ve learned to steep the tea a little longer, maybe even up to 60 seconds on the first steeping. You can do that with green high-mountain oolongs like this because they are greener. This tea in particular has a nice milky texture that comes out with the slightly longer steeping. Again, this is a very high-quality tea that deserves the time and patience.