Yin Zhen Silver Needles

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Heyes

• “This tea brews very consistently. I won't be changing my various ratings. One thing I will say is that I accidentally used boiling water on my third resteep today, and left it in for over 4...” Read full tasting note
    heyes 58 tasting notes

From Tea Trekker

Fujian Province, China
Air-Dried, slightly oxidized
Very large spear-shaped
Sweet, lush flavour
Fresh ‘tea’ aroma
Pale liquor tinged silver

We were in awe when we tasted this tea on our recent trip to Fujian Province. One of the highlights of the trip, seeing White tea production and tasting the special grades from the year’s harvest was thrilling.

Silver Needles is the name given to traditional, authentic, artisanal White Tea.
Yin Zhen should be manufactured from the Big Sprout or Big White sub-varieties of Camellia sinensis, sinensis and made in Fujian Province China. Yin Zhen is a magnificent tea, a tea of history and reputation. Able to be made only for a short period every spring, it is weather and bud-yield dependent.

When available, Yin Zhen will always be distinctive. No other tea looks or tastes the same as Yin Zhen. Consisting of only the unopened buds of the first flush of tea in the spring, these buds have a characteristic silver hue and white down.

Steep with cool water and infuse the buds several times for a short amount of time.
Use 1 Tablespoon per 6 oz of water
Steep 2-3 infusions at 2 minutes each.
Water temperature should be 160° – 170° F

All text quoted from:

About Tea Trekker View company

This tea brews very consistently. I won’t be changing my various ratings. One thing I will say is that I accidentally used boiling water on my third resteep today, and left it in for over 4 minutes. Rather than being bitter/astringent/foul as would be the case with most teas in my experience, it was smooth creamy and even more yummy. Carry on.