Royal Gui Fei Oolong

Oolong Tea
Cedar, Earth, Metallic, Roasted, Wet Rocks
Edit tea info Last updated by scarlettdoom
190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 24 oz / 709 ml

• “Thank you Liquid Proust for this sample! Tasting #1 – Steep Time 2 Minutes Has the aroma of a black tea, very light but smooth flavor. My mouth feels soft just drinking this tea. Tasting #2...” Read full tasting note
    Uchinaguchi 13 tasting notes
  • “This might be the smoothest darker green type of oolong that I’ve tasted thus far. It reminds me a lot of the first oolong I drank which entered me into the world of tea slowly. I’m...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 479 tasting notes

From Tealux

Winter 2011 Harvest of our well-loved Gui Fei Royal Oolong.

This tea is extremely limited. It has a long round clover honey sweetness, surrounded by wildflower notes and a nice tilled soil kind of depth. What makes this honey oolong stand out from the others we cupped when selecting this type of tea is the intense aromatics, overall body of the liquor, and complexity of flavor. It has a fullness and depth of character that continues even at room temperature or even cold. Multiple steeping reveal rich nutty earthiness and a more refined sweetness.

Story:

Gui Fei Oolong was created by a group of young tea farmers from Luku township in 2000. After the big earthquake 9/21, the tea farmers in Luku township were engaged in rebuilding their hometown and neglected to manage their tea gardens which led to the tea leaves being chomped by the “tea leafhopper”. After these tea leaves were picked and produced according to traditional Dong Ding Oolong tea method with a long fermentation, it turned out the tea liquor was crystal clear orange color and full of honey or litchi aroma. The green leaves were surrounded by red edges and looked very elegant and poised just like an ancient Gui Fei (The highest-ranking imperial concubine). Its flavor and aroma are different from traditional Dong Ding Oolong tea, which is why it is named Dong Ding Gui Fei tea or Gui Fei Oolong tea.

AKA Gui Fei Royal Courtesan, Gui Fei Oolong, Gui Fei Mei Ren, Noble Concubine, Honey Oolong

About Tealux View company

Thank you Liquid Proust for this sample!

Tasting #1 – Steep Time 2 Minutes

Tasting #2 – Steep Time 4 Minutes
Now more earthy flavors are coming out, like cedar bark. My mouth still feels soft even though these flavors tend to be hard. Its an interesting balance that I’m enjoying.

Tasting #3 – Steep Time 7 Minutes
It smells very much like the kuki hojicha now. How do I describe such a smooth bite? Its very distinct and pleasurable to drink.

Tasting #4 – Steep Time 10 Minutes
Almost a metallic aroma now. Very hard flavors, like steam rising from rocks. Absolutely delicious.

I love this tea. I love how complex these flavors are and how they change. I love how these hard flavors give me the mouth feel of something lighter and creamier, like a milk oolong. I love that the longer it steeps the more of a bite I get but it goes down smooth. This is in no way a simple sharp tasting tea, this is carefully roasted so that the natural flavors of this tea can still come through without making you reach for a glass of water. I tend to prefer greener oolongs because I find the roasting process makes it difficult for me to continuously drink the darker oolongs unless I drink them cold. I’m not only amazed but very happy to drink this tea hot as I’m going on 20 minutes of continuous tasting now.

Flavors: Cedar, Earth, Metallic, Roasted, Wet Rocks

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

This might be the smoothest darker green type of oolong that I’ve tasted thus far. It reminds me a lot of the first oolong I drank which entered me into the world of tea slowly. I’m unsure what roman letters to align together in creation of English words to conclude remarks for this tea… I just really enjoy it.

Ubacat

Tealux sure has some great oolongs!