drank Noël à Prague by Dammann Freres

Delicious! When I bought my advent calendar this year, I took the opportunity to buy a few extra teas. My husband wanted the Christmas Tea since he loves cherry teas, I wanted Mon Petit Chocolat and this was my chance to add to the order (15 euros for shipping was too good to pass up – Thank you Dammann!!!). This was one of the teas I tried out of curiosity and I’m so glad I did because it has given me a chance to try different brewing times and see what I like best.

The dry leaf is all prunes and while I actually like prunes ( I can’t figure out why so many people in America have a grudge against prunes. They’re delicious once in a while, so sweet and thick), I can imagine it’s not a flavor too many people love. Brewed for 4 minutes at 195F, the prunes still dominated the flavor with caramel second, a sort of booziness, and a hint of chocolate last. It was very good but you would have to like prunes.

This morning, I forgot to turn on my timer and I let it steep for probably 6 minutes and suddenly I went from liking it to loving it! Just like that! The flavors are much more balanced and I get much more caramel along with the prunes. So good! The vodka (I could not have picked it out but I can recognize it) is light and so is the chocolate, but it’s there. The combination works really well. Definitely a winter, rainy day tea. So cozy and thick. And it gets even better as it cools.

Flavors: Alcohol, Caramel, Chocolate, Fruity, Plums

Cameron B.

People in the US mostly associate prunes with the elderly, so maybe that’s why they’re not popular?

EmmaM

You’re right, I’m sure. In fact my 97 yr old mother in law eats prunes each day… Maybe by the time I’m her age, I will be more enthusiastic than she is :p

Comments

Cameron B.

EmmaM

I started drinking tea 3 years ago when a friend introduced me to flavored black teas. Since then, I have developed a bit of a tea addiction. I never want to be without the teas I adore, but I’m perpetually compelled to try new ones… I’ve never been a collector of anything, but it seems I do have a tea problem. Still, I work as a web designer and digital marketing specialist so I always have a tea cup by my side to keep me happy as I stare at my screen all day.

Being French and living in the US, I started with French tea companies like Mariage Freres, Dammann Freres, Kusmi and Theodor (it has been a way for me to stay connected to my roots), but I’d love to find tea companies I love as much on this side of the Atlantic.

I love dessert teas. All kinds of dessert teas. Although most of my favorites are black teas, I love a few green teas, oolongs, green rooibos (I dislike regular rooibos) and I’m always searching for an infusion I can drink at night. So far, I have found very few fruit teas or herbal teas I love, but I’m still looking.

In terms of flavors, I adore almond, pistachio, biscuit, nutty types, as well as caramel, cream, cake, vanilla, toffee, chocolate, and cookies. For me, it’s all about drinking my dessert!!! I also like fruity teas like peach, melon, mango, raspberry, strawberry, figs, and even grapefruit flavored teas. I like it all except for lemon. I also love black licorice candy so licorice tea works for me.

I am discovering more floral teas and testing the waters there, but I don’t care for earl greys or chai. I have not expanded into unflavored teas yet but maybe one day.

For full disclosure I usually add a little bit of stevia to my teas.

North Carolina, USA