I have to agree with the other reviews of this tea. While it brews up a beautiful dark burgundy color, the flavor of the tea leaves a lot to be desired. There’s an unpleasant smell and taste to it that reminds of a generic black tea like Lipton. I’d describe the taste as somewhat earthy and malty. There’s no sweetness to it, no depth, and the flavor is basically the same steep after steep. It brews fairly strong and I reckon it would hold up well to milk and/or sugar.

Flavors: Earth, Hay, Malt

3 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

Fell into tea years ago, and for a long time my experience was limited to Japanese greens and a few flavored teas. My tea epiphany came a few years ago when I discovered jade oolongs. That was the gateway drug to the world of fine tea and teaware.

With the exception of a handful of lightly scented teas, I drink mostly straight tea. I love fresh green and floral flavors and as such, green tea and Taiwanese oolongs will always have a place in my cupboard. After avoiding black tea my entire life, Chinese blacks are beginning to grow on me. I’ve dipped my toe into a few puerhs now but it’s still relatively new territory for me. I also enjoy white tea and tisanes but reach for them less frequently.

Other non-tea interests include: cooking, reading, nature, MMA, traveling when I can, and of course putzing around on the interwebs.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/melucky