Organic Hong Songzhen (Pine Needle) Black Tea

Earth, Hay, Malt, Astringent, Grass, Leather, Mushrooms, Sour, Spices, Pine
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “063/365 I usually love Yunnan/Dian Hong teas, but this one has left me a bit puzzled. I can see why it’s called “Pine Needle” because the leaves look like exactly that. They’re long, straight, and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I have to agree with the other reviews of this tea. While it brews up a beautiful dark burgundy color, the flavor of the tea leaves a lot to be desired. There’s an unpleasant smell and taste to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Now, this one was a disappointment, which does not happen with Teavivre often in my experience. The appearance was cool and the aroma intriguing – grass, mushrooms, leather, spices. The taste,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I received a sample of this tea with my order from Teavivre. I was curious to see how pine needles relate to black tea. When I opened the silver sample package, there were long brown leaves inside....” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Cangyuan County, Lincang City, Yunnan Province, China

Plucking Standard: One bud with one leaf

Dry Tea: Even and straight with needle-like shape, full of golden pekoes on the tea buds, black bloom color

Aroma: Flower and fruity fragrance

Liquor: Clear, bright orange color

Taste: Soft and smooth with pure sweet taste, a comfortable mouth feel and nice aftertaste

Tree Bush: Yunkang No. 10

Tea Garden: Tuanjie Dazhai Tea Base (about 1800 meters altitude)

Fermentation:Full-Fermented

Organic Hong Songzhen Black Tea, a kind of Yunnan black tea (Dian Hong in short), is made of the one bud with one leaf from Yunnan large leaf Dayezhong spring tea. The dry leaf is even and straight, like Songzhen (Spine needle), hence its name “Hong SongZhen”. This tea is Dian Hong tea, but it is slightly different from the Fengqing Dian Hong tea.

About Teavivre View company

063/365

I usually love Yunnan/Dian Hong teas, but this one has left me a bit puzzled. I can see why it’s called “Pine Needle” because the leaves look like exactly that. They’re long, straight, and pointy. The colour is right, too. That’s probably partly why I was expecting a lot more in taste terms than I actually got.

What I got, in very blunt terms, is nothing. I’m reminded most of white tea, in that it has the “sweet water” quality I often find with those. There’s also a coolness on the palate, after repeated sips, which I associate mostly with raw pu’erh. Flavour, though? Really none. Perhaps a very light maltiness, but otherwise…considering the variety of tea it is, and that it brews up a delicious looking amber, it’s a disappointment.

I’ve never found this before with a Teavivre tea, and I’m more than a little surprised. I’m pretty sure this isn’t how it’s supposed to be, but never having tried it before I can’t really comment.

Ah well.

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp
tperez

Interesting, I got this one as well and while isn’t super bold it seems to have plenty of flavor

I have to agree with the other reviews of this tea. While it brews up a beautiful dark burgundy color, the flavor of the tea leaves a lot to be desired. There’s an unpleasant smell and taste to it that reminds of a generic black tea like Lipton. I’d describe the taste as somewhat earthy and malty. There’s no sweetness to it, no depth, and the flavor is basically the same steep after steep. It brews fairly strong and I reckon it would hold up well to milk and/or sugar.

Flavors: Earth, Hay, Malt

3 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

Now, this one was a disappointment, which does not happen with Teavivre often in my experience. The appearance was cool and the aroma intriguing – grass, mushrooms, leather, spices. The taste, however, was quite meh, with astringency and copper predominating. No reason to order it again.

Flavors: Astringent, Grass, Leather, Mushrooms, Sour, Spices

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

When I opened the silver sample package, there were long brown leaves inside. No aroma immediately presented itself so I sent my nose on a seek and find mission deep inside the package. Ultimately my sniffing sensors were able to pull a very slight grassy smell from the leaves.

I pretty closely followed the recommended brewing instructions and steeped the leaves at 195 degrees for five minutes. (NOTE: My Breville Automatic Tea Maker does not have a setting for the recommended temperature of 194 degrees.)

The finished product had a bright amber color. The aroma was a bit like southern sweet tea but very faint.

My first two sips produced a dim and distant flavor that was somewhat malty with an extra twinge that was kinda sorta like pine. I am not sure that I would have arrived at the pine flavor conclusion if I hadn’t been expecting it.

As I continued with two cups worth of sips, the flavor did build up on my palate sufficiently to make it seem stronger than it was initially. There was no astringency to speak of. I attributed the twinge to the pine-like attribute. The aftertaste also contained no bitterness.

As I am seasonally sinus-challenged, I prefer strong and robust flavors in my teas. The flavors in this selection are a bit anemic and indistinct for my taste. However, the flavors are not unpleasant, include Teavivre’s trademark smoothness, and may be strong enough for other tea drinkers.

Flavors: Malt, Pine

TeaVivre

Compared with other Dian Hong tea, this tea has a lighter taste!

Stoo

Yes it does! Thanks, Angel!

This tea has a subtle malty aroma and I can see why it is called pine needle by the way the dry leaves are hard, thin, and pointy. It is malty and earthy but I am not getting much flavor out of this tea. It is bland with an astringent aftertaste. I wish I did not power through it and just made another cup of tea.

Flavors: Astringent, Malt

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML
TeaVivre

This tea is organic black tea, and when it compares to other Dian Hong, it’ll have a light taste. If you don’t mind, would you please let me know your brewing method on this tea?

A-House

4 grams of tea in 5 oz of water just below boiling. Rinse and three steepings of 1 min., 2 min., and 2 min. 30 sec. I combined the three steepings in one glass. It could have been too little tea, too high of a temperature, and/or to long of a steeping time, but it just didn’t turn out that well.

TeaVivre

If you try it next time, you can use 90℃ water to brew it with a little longer time for the second and third infusion. If you have a gaiwan, you can try it in this way:
5g tea,10s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 60s at 90℃.

Hope you’ll find a way to get its best flavor and wish you a nice weekend!

TeaVivre

@ A-House, I’ve tried this tea for several times recently. Here I think you can try this new brewing time to get a better result for this tea:
Teacup: 90℃, 5g, 3 – 5 mins
Gaiwan: 90℃, 110ml, 5g Tea, 20s,30s,40s,50s,70s,100s

If you have any feedback about it, please kindly let me know.