drank Fireside Mocha by DAVIDsTEA

Day 10 of our Advent Tea Swap. From amandastory516.

What a fun tea! There are little candies in here shaped like trees plus sugar crystals and pieces of chocolate. Amanda gave me a TON so I opted for two teaspoons today.

I had someone come up to my desk while it was steeping and they asked if I was having hot chocolate. That is indeed how it smells. The taste, however, is not hot chocolate. I mean, there is some chocolate flavor there, but it’s artificial like an artificial sweetener. It’s cloudy too after steeping which isn’t very appetizing. There’s almost a plastic sort of taste to it also which is strange.

This was such a surprising cup for me because the flavor is so much different than the aroma coming from the dry and steeped blend. I know I’ve seen some reviews where others have loved this tea, but I’m thinking it’s not for me.

Flavors: Apple, Artificial, Chocolate, Cocoa, Marshmallow

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
amandastory516

I had very similar thoughts on this one, unfortunately. So many people like it, so I was hoping you’d be one. I’m sorry!

Shae

Oh no, don’t be sorry! That’s one of the best things about tea – we can all enjoy different things. I lot of people do like this one, so I guess you and I are just both in the same camp. :)

Comments

amandastory516

Shae

Lifetime student. Lover of books and paper and ink. Kitchen dweller. Aspiring herbalist, excessively proud cat lady, and tea fanatic.

I love flavored black teas most of all, always with cream and honey. I prefer to sweeten my tea as it seems to bring out the flavor. I enjoy floral and fruity teas, as well as flavored or scented ones. I’m not overly fond of green or white teas, but I’ve found a few that I enjoy.

Favorites
Any and all black teas, smoky teas, raspberry, strawberry, chocolate, bergamot, chai spices, cinnamon, cream, floral teas, caramel/toffee, jasmine, rose, vanilla, stone fruits, coconut, valerian root

Not a fan
Lime, white teas (someone tell me what I’m doing wrong with these!), most green teas, artificial sweeteners, sarsaparilla, licorice

I’m open to tea swaps! Just reach out if you see something I have that you want to try.

Rating Scale

1-20: By far, one of the worst teas I’ve tasted. I most certainly will not finish my cup and will likely “gift” the rest to my sweet husband who almost always enjoys the teas I dislike (and vice versa).

21-40: This tea is not good but if I mix it with another tea or find another steeping method I might be able to finish it.

41-70: This one is just okay. I might drink it again if someone were to give it to me, but I probably won’t be buying more for myself.

71-79: This is a consistently good tea. It’s reliable but not necessarily special.

80-90: This one is a notch above the rest and I would gladly enjoy a cup of it any day of the week. I’ll likely be keeping this in my cupboard, but it isn’t one of my all-time favorites.

91-95: One small change and this tea would be perfect. I’ll definitely have a stash of this in my kitchen if you come over for tea.

96-100: No words can describe this tea. It’s an experience, an aha moment. Closed eyes, wide smile, encompassing warmth. Absolutely incredible. Perfect.

Currently reading: