Gingerbread Houjicha

Green Tea
Chestnut, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutty, Roasted, Spices, Wood
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Sipdown (340) I got this from Christina about a year ago and am only trying it now. Thank you Christina! I decided to use the leaf to try this as a coconut milk latte since I thought the sweet...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown of a sample I got from someone a while ago. The houjicha makes a good base for this, however I find this tastes more like the other 52Teas chai blends I’ve tried rather than specifically...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! I’ll miss this one. The gingerbread flavor doesn’t drown out the roastiness of base houjicha. Instead, the two conspire to make a brew both wintry and refreshing. It’s actually even...” Read full tasting note
  • “Everybody must think I drink gallons of tea every day with all of my tasting notes. haha. Tea is about ALL I drink… very little of any other liquids. No alcohol, very little soda or juice or...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

I haven’t written an official description yet, so I’ll use the description from Kickstarter temporarily:

I love the flavor of gingerbread and I think that the roasty-toasty, nutty flavor of houjicha would offer a delightful base to these flavors.

About 52teas View company

Sipdown (340)

I got this from Christina about a year ago and am only trying it now. Thank you Christina! I decided to use the leaf to try this as a coconut milk latte since I thought the sweet coconut would compliment the roast of the houjicha and the spices nicely. I ended up doing a 50/50 split of coconut milk and regular milk since the coconut milk is so thick and though this is and alright latte, I think I just don’t like working with coconut milk. It’s high in fat so this is very creamy and though there is a coconut flavor here it is subtle and not really what I hoped for which makes this feel like wasted calories.

The tea itself, despite age, has a good dose of that toasty houjicha base and there is a nice and smooth cinnamon/nutmeg flavor floating in the mix. It’s definitely a holiday tea but I don’t know if I would have immediately pinpointed this as gingerbread without guidance from the name. I guess there is some ginger flavor here also but not much and the notion of baked goods is lacking. I don’t want to rate this though because age could be at play here as could the use of coconut milk so even though this was just okay, it could be due to my choices as opposed to a reflection on the tea.

VariaTEA

Just have to see if I have pumpkin purée and then I can use the coconut milk for this: http://blog.davidstea.com/en/pumpkin-chai-maple-latte/

Evol Ving Ness

I found this one to have a bit of a dusty flavour, as in toasty and dusty. However, I am not all that familiar with houjicha.

Sipdown of a sample I got from someone a while ago.

The houjicha makes a good base for this, however I find this tastes more like the other 52Teas chai blends I’ve tried rather than specifically gingerbread.

The base is woody, a bit roasty, nutty, flavourful.

The spices combination is mostly cinnamon and ginger, but I’m not getting anything resembling cookie/baked sweets. I would have appreciated lots of cookie flavor in this one. It is a good blend, but I feel it couldh ave been made slightly better.

Flavors: Chestnut, Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutty, Roasted, Spices, Wood

Sipdown! I’ll miss this one. The gingerbread flavor doesn’t drown out the roastiness of base houjicha. Instead, the two conspire to make a brew both wintry and refreshing. It’s actually even better cold.

Everybody must think I drink gallons of tea every day with all of my tasting notes. haha. Tea is about ALL I drink… very little of any other liquids. No alcohol, very little soda or juice or anything like that. Any water I drink would be in tea. I do actually eat solid food too, I promise. anyway… :D
I received this in my grabbag sale a while ago. I think it’s tastier than I expected. It’s nice to have a different base for chai flavors (though I wish there was a list of ingredients as to which spices are here. ) I like the houjicha but I can’t even tell it’s houjicha… if I had to guess I’d say it was a very light black tea. Everything here makes for a very tasty combination! I wouldn’t mind something extra to make it a little more special than just chai though… like a cookie icing flavor of some kind. Just the right amount of spices for this base. I think two teaspoons is just right.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug // 20 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 minute steep

NofarS

“Tea – what’s for dinner” :)

tea-sipper

haha – yup. :D

Lexie Aleah

Same! Any water I drink is in the form of tea.

1908 tasting notes

The nutty, roasted flavour of the houjicha is a great base for this blend as it has the warmth and substance that you’d need for strong, spicy flavours like these. It’s not quite gingerbread for me – it needs more molasses flavour I think to get to that point. Even so, I found myself enjoying this tea, it’s a nice blend for drinking on cold days.

Kittenna

I really felt the houjicha base here was amazing.

Sipdown (121)!

Thanks for the sample Kittenna! I like this one better than Pumpkin Houjicha, though it’s worth pointing out that I had pretty well opposite prep methods for the two. I Gong Fu brewed Pumpkin Houjicha, but cold brewed this one…

I think the flavour here is more accurate to what it’s trying to be though: it’s not exactly spicy from the ginger but then again, in my mind, gingerbread isn’t really all that spicy anyway. This has notes of ginger and cinnamon, as well as molasses and a note that kind of reminds me of thick, whipping cream. It comes together in a way that, combined with the roasty flavour of the Houjicha, really reminds me of gingerbread or ginger snap cookies! If it were still December/Christmas time I’d definitely be looking to get more of this…

Maybe if it makes a reappearance next Winter I can’t remember if this was one of the holiday teas or not then I’ll bite. I need more flavoured Houjicha in my life.

Drinking this while eating chocolate :)
This is one of those blends I had to adapt for my taste. I ended up with a mixture of two different steeps which lowers the dryness from the much needed elements of ginger and nutmeg.
The result is a relaxing cup that goes along with the winter weather. I’m almost curious about adding a bit of milk to it next time and for me that is really rare, but if the semi dryness that comes with this were to disappear would make this a tea to drink during multiple occasions :)

Fjellrev

Chocolate and a spicy houjicha sounds like a wonderful combination. :)

This is the ginger lovers tea – it’s very gingery, the most spice out of all the 52 Teas’ holiday teas. The pairing of roasty houjicha and gingerbread is great – both of those flavors I enjoy. Add a bit of sweetener and you get gingerbread sweets flavor!

Full review, along with the other 52 Teas Holiday teas on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/52-teas-2015-holiday-teas-tea-review/

Getting Festive!

I got this tea from 52Teas Holiday presale kickstarter. I love houjicha, and this blend sounded just so seasonally appropriate I had to have it.

I don’t think I was disappointed. Cracking open the bag, I got a strong whiff of baking ginger, sweet molasses, and the smooth toasty houjicha. I brewed it up, and the whole room was hit with the smell of freshly baked gingerbread. The tea is quite naturally sweet, and the ginger hits the palate first. Then you get some roasted green tea that transitions smoothly into fresh baked goodness.

I am feeling more festive with every sip :)

note to self: don’t write reviews in the review box in my browser. You will lose your notes. Every. Time.

rosebudmelissa

Sounds tasty. I was dubious how green tea would work with gingerbread, so I didn’t pick up any of this.

Another one i’m drinking tonight – not in the mood for samples tonight as i’m sick and in case my taste buds aren’t quite right, i don’t want to risk it. it’s not bad, but it doesn’t really scream gingerbread to me. I’ll keep trying and playing with steeping.

Tea In Spoons

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling sick! kristinalee suggested I follow you because she said you liked a lot of blended teas. I’m excited to read your 52tea reviews since I want to grab a few teas. Feel better!

Thanks! I pretty much drink puerh, flavoured blends (mostly black/herbal) and black straight teas. I tend not to spend much time on greens, whites, oolongs :)

Tea In Spoons

I’m finding myself favouring black/herbal and sometimes greens. So, I’m sure I’ll see lots of reviews for teas I’ll like! I also I noticed you lived in TO; I’ll be going to visit in Feb. Any good suggestion on tea places (aside from DavidsTea) to visit?

Tao Leaf Tea; Majesteas; Capital teas; Tealish; Tsaa; House of tea; Tea Emporium; Say Tea….there are a bunch :) You could also go for tea at the king edward.

Kitten and the Bear is a teeny tiny shop that does small batch jam and scones with Sloane teas as well…

Nicole

I am totally jelly of your tea options. :)

Tea In Spoons

I gave them all a quick look; I mostly want tea sampler sizes. It seems like Tao Leaf Tea, Tsaa and Tealish have samplers. If you think of more places, feel free to tell me!

Tea In Spoons

Thanks for the suggestions!

not sure that any of them really offer samplers. the downside to a lot of canadian companies.

Tea In Spoons

Tao Leaf Tea has a lot of 5g sizes for their teas. I gave Tssa a call and they had “2 cup” samplers. Tealish has prepackaged ones so, I think I will hit Tao Leaf first.

Dexter

(If I were going to Toronto – Tao Tea Leaf would be at the top of my “must go to list”)

OMGsrsly

I definitely didn’t make it to Tao Tea Leaf. Instead we went to Niagara so I could ooh and ahh about the falls and get a mug!

Dexter

@OMG – yeah but you live in a VERY good tea town – for those of us in the tea desert, making it to fun shops might have a higher priority. ;))

OMGsrsly

Heh. True! Still, we randomly walked past Tealish which was lovely. I was on a no-tea-buying spree, which didn’t really last.

Dexter

LOL It’s the no-tea-buying spree thing. That’s the danger of travel to good tea towns. If I made it to Toronto, I would also like to check out some of the Chinese Markets that yyz finds fun stuff in. We don’t even have fun markets…. :(

OMGsrsly

I needed more time! Getting sick really killed my energy. I’d definitely go back. :)

We have a spare room with a queen in it now and the computer with the single….so room for everyone!

Maybe. One day. :)