Chocolate Covered Banana Honeybush

banana, Chocolate, Honey
Caffeine Free
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Yum! This tea tastes wonderfully like a chocolate covered banana! When it is hot the smell of banana is the most prominent flavor, but as you let it cool further, the flavor has more depth, with...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is transporting me back to drinking a couple roasted maté blends, primarily 52teas Malted ChocoMaté (from years ago) and DAVIDsTEA’s Chocolate Rocket. Both, from what I remember, had a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Added cream to this and kapow—fanstastic! Plain, it is not all that, but with cream, wow! Well done, 52teas! Also, is the 52Teas posting comment draw giveaway over? Not that it will deter me:)” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve tried this blend a few times now, though the flavor was never prominent enough for me to make a tasting note before (though this blend isn’t the freshest, to be fair). So I tried two...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for April 18, 2016!

I was inspired to do this blend because one of my all-time favorite 52Teas blends from way, way back was Chelsea’s Chocolate Banana Rooibos. And as much as I loved that blend, there was always a part of me that lamented the fact that it was a red rooibos base and not long after Amethyst acquired 52Teas, I decided that I needed to “reinvent” that blend into either a Honeybush blend or a green rooibos blend. Ultimately, I decided I needed to first try Honeybush – but I do plan on trying a green rooibos blend eventually too.

Mmm! The naturally nutty-sweet flavor of the honeybush works nicely with the flavors of chocolate and banana. The overall flavor reminds me a bit of the frozen chocolate covered bananas that you might get at an amusement park – the kind that are sprinkled with chopped nuts before the chocolate has a chance to set. I get sweet, fruity notes of banana, the creamy, rich flavor of chocolate and a hint of nutty flavor from the honeybush.

Tasty!

organic ingredients: honeybush, freeze-dried bananas, cacao nibs, cacao shells, mini vegan chocolate chips and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Yum!
This tea tastes wonderfully like a chocolate covered banana! When it is hot the smell of banana is the most prominent flavor, but as you let it cool further, the flavor has more depth, with enough cocoa and chocolate to balance out the sweetness of banana and honeybush.

Flavors: banana, Chocolate, Honey

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 350 OZ / 10350 ML

This is transporting me back to drinking a couple roasted maté blends, primarily 52teas Malted ChocoMaté (from years ago) and DAVIDsTEA’s Chocolate Rocket. Both, from what I remember, had a distinct banana note alongside those chocolate notes, with a roasted, coffee-like background. This has all of that. I wouldn’t have even known that it was honeybush if I were to taste this blindly. That chocolate note seems to be the most influenced by the nibs (versus the shells and chocolate chips).

It’s tasty, smooth, and definitely represents a chocolate-covered banana, so that’s great!

Added cream to this and kapow—fanstastic!

Plain, it is not all that, but with cream, wow! Well done, 52teas!

52Teas

It’s not over – but it is on pause because I’ve been behind over the last 2 months – so I want to get myself caught up first. :)

Evol Ving Ness

You are doing a fine job. Hope things are going
a bit more smoothly. Thank you for what you do.

52Teas

Thank you very much! I do appreciate it. I hate being behind – I really dislike letting my subscribers down and not getting the packages out by the first of the month. But I’m hopeful that with the way things are shaping up – I’ll be back to shipping out on the first by November! Fingers crossed for me!

Evol Ving Ness

Here’s to smooth sailing, or whatever the tea version is. :)

I’ve tried this blend a few times now, though the flavor was never prominent enough for me to make a tasting note before (though this blend isn’t the freshest, to be fair). So I tried two teaspoons this time around. I’m just surprised that with the all important cocoa shells with the chocolate chips that this blend doesn’t taste as chocolatey as it should! This time around was slightly better but I don’t want to use two teaspoons every time. I definitely taste subtle notes of chocolate and banana and both share the stage equally. I love the usual honeybush base (no one does a honeybush blend like 52Teas!) The second steep I left in the just boiled water for quite a while, so it had more flavor. This one is tasty and definitely something I haven’t seen before… I just wish there was MORE flavor here.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug// few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 10+ minute steep

52Teas

With many tisanes (honeybush and rooibos) you should use more leaf because depending upon the additives, they can add to the flavor – as is the case with cacao shells – but they don’t complete the flavor so you need to make sure that there’s adequate amounts of all ingredients in the measurement. I find this to be true of most tisanes.

tea-sipper

Yeah, I try to make sure all the goodies are in the amounts I parcel into the teaspoon. :D

really nicely balanced- neither flavor seems to overpower the other. The banana also tastes like actual banana which is a nice change from the usual very artificial banana flavored things… This is a nice desert-ey tea, perfect for before bedtime when i try to avoid caffeine.

Sipdown

Thank you Evol Ving Ness for the chance to revisit this tea. I didn’t initially love it but it makes for a pretty nice chocolate milk latte :)

Evol Ving Ness

This chocolate milk latte business sounds really quite divine.

There’s something about this one that smells kind of weird, but I don’t taste it at all. I’m really not sure what it is.
This one tastes just like banana oatmeal to me. It’s warm and comforting, and I wish this had caffeine because it would be a great morning tea! Even without, I still like it quiet a lot .

I got my order from 52 Teas today! I know, I know, I wasn’t going to order any more tea … Yeah, yeah. But I only ordered a few sample sizes. And I have a teeny bit of a sense of smell! And I remember how wonderful all of the 52 Teas I’ve had have tasted.

I had a hard time deciding which tea to try. All the teas sound awesome. I finally settled on this one because the directions said to allow the tea to cool for 5-10 minutes before drinking. It’s pretty hot here even with the air on, so I figured a cooling tea might be more refreshing.
It was refreshing. The scent was wonderfully like bananas and chocolate. (boy, I love being able to say that! This sense of smell is weak and will probably last only another week or so, but I’m enjoying it. It brews up a lovely dark apricot color. The odor was really like bananas and chocolate. I let mine cool for 5 minutes. My first sip was slightly woody. I’m not sure if that is quite the word, but I let it sit another couple of minutes and then it was perfect. The flavor was very subtle. That might be because my sense of smell is weak. I could definitely detect banana, and the chocolate was not so strong. Again, someone with a strong sense of smell might get different flavors. What mattered to me was that the woodiness was gone. The tea was slightly sweet on its own, no sugar or honey needed. This is a wonderful afternoon or evening dessert tea. This was the generous sample 52Teas sent along with my order. I wasn’t expecting an sample, since myh order was so small. But i’m grateful for it. Thjs one is definitely a winner!