Cranberry Apple Crumble

Honeybush Rooibos Blend
Apple Pieces, Dried Cranberries, Nutmeg, Orange Wedges, Organic Allspice, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Honeybush, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Red Rooibos
Caffeine Free
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Thanks for the sample VariaTea! I don’t know how in the world I managed to miss this one when it first came out! Cranberry teas!? I’m pretty well always down for a cranberry tea – I just love them...” Read full tasting note
  • “HOLY CRANBERRIES, BATMAN (BATANNE?)!! This bag is just packed full of the whole berries. I had to actually push my teaspoon past them and dig to the bottom since I thought they were all floating at...” Read full tasting note
  • “This week’s tea of the week – and this is really a lot yummier than I thought it would be. I like cranberries OK (I eat them every weekend in my oatmeal) but cranberry tea isn’t always my favorite....” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for November 21, 2016!

It’s that time of year – the time when we (tea companies) roll out the autumn-ish flavors – including cranberries and apples! I love cranberries and I eat them year round (every weekend in my oatmeal!) but they are usually considered to be a fall/winter type of fruit. The same is true of apples – apples are readily available year round but they aren’t nearly as tasty as the apples harvested in the fall.

Since we are smack dab in the middle of autumn, I decided to bring these two fruits together in one tea along with the warm, dessert-y flavors of a nicely spiced, freshly baked crisp. Imagine juicy, tart cranberries and delicious, sweet-tart apples cooking in their own juices with just a hint of orange and warm notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice beneath a crisp crust of a brown sugar and pecan crumble. Sounds like the kind of treat that I’d like at my Thanksgiving spread! YUM!

The flavors start out with the nutty sweetness of the honeybush and rooibos. The cranberry and apple work together very nicely. It’s not too tart (I’m not a huge fan of tart) but I’m getting a distinct cranberry tangy note. The apple delivers a smoothness to the cup. The spices are nice – not overwhelming but definitely there. There is a light cake-y type of note that is lightly brown sugar-y and nutty.

organic ingredients: honeybush, rooibos, cranberries, apples, oranges, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Thanks for the sample VariaTea!

I don’t know how in the world I managed to miss this one when it first came out! Cranberry teas!? I’m pretty well always down for a cranberry tea – I just love them so much. Plus, VariaTea isn’t kidding when she says this one has a lot of cranberry – they’re HUGE and the bag is just packed with them.

I tried this one iced, I think largely because I didn’t realize quite how strong the spice notes would actually be. It was still very good, but I expected more brightness from the fruit and a softer, warming spice finish and my experience was that it was largely dry cinnamon and allspice notes in a very robust way with some gentler apple and cranberry notes in the tail end of the sip and aftertaste. Pretty well the reverse from what I had anticipated. Also, a bit of a honeyed woody kind of taste from the base tea.

None of that actually tasted bad but had I realize that’s what the flavour ratio was going to be like I definitely would have chosen to make this into a hot cup instead. Plus, regardless, I think I’d enjoy just a bit more brightness and forward flavour from the cranberry. Still, it was a tasty tea overall!

HOLY CRANBERRIES, BATMAN (BATANNE?)!! This bag is just packed full of the whole berries. I had to actually push my teaspoon past them and dig to the bottom since I thought they were all floating at the top and yet each spoon still came out with at least 2 huge cranberries. And trust me, you taste them. This has a whole lotta cranberry flavor but without the tartness. I blame the apple for that. There is also a lot of pieces of oranges rolling around in my package of this tea and though I don’t get a pronounced orange flavor, there is a definite citrus brightness here. There is also a fair bit of flavor being contributed by the base teas, which I don’t love but at least here they work with the other ingredients instead of completely overpowering them.

This week’s tea of the week – and this is really a lot yummier than I thought it would be. I like cranberries OK (I eat them every weekend in my oatmeal) but cranberry tea isn’t always my favorite. But this is really good – the apple softens some of the tart of the cranberry and the orange really brightens the cup.

And there’s a really nice, buttery, brown sugary ‘crumble’ taste to it too that I think might be my favorite part of the tea. And if I were to make a Cranberry Apple Crumble – the buttery, brown sugary crumble topping would probably be my favorite part of the crumble. I blame my sweet tooth.

Sweet, a little tart, juicy and really yummy.

Nattie