Foggy Coconut

Natural Bergamot Oil, Organic Black Tea, Organic Coconut, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans
Cake, Citrus, Coconut, Cream, Lemon, Vanilla
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “So before I start reviewing this I want to write a disclaimer: My nose is stuffy, my throat is iffy, and my tongue is burnt. So my tastebuds are seriously dulled right now. I really like this tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is this week’s Tea of the Week – it was inspired by one of my favorite coffee shop drinks – London Fog. When I go to Mat’s medical appointments with him, I usually order a London Fog from the...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 9, 2017!

My inspiration behind this blend is one of my favorite coffee shop drinks: a London Fog Latte! I order mine with coconut milk and half the usual amount of vanilla syrup (otherwise, it’s just too sweet!) One day as I was sipping on this drink, I found myself contemplating the beverage. I love the way the hints of coconut play with the bergamot but I found myself wishing that the coconut notes were stronger. (I do love me some coconut!) I also found myself wishing that the tea notes were stronger – which I felt would be accomplished if it didn’t have so much milk product in it – but then, the coconut notes would not be present. Then the idea hits me: why not make my own version of this drink with these improvements in mind!

And here we have it: I started with a base of Assam and Yunnan for a rich, bold, malty flavor. Something that could hold it’s own even with the strong note of creamy coconut. Then I added bergamot – I didn’t want to go too heavy on the bergamot because I didn’t want the coconut and bergamot competing with each other. I wanted enough bergamot to be tasted but not so much that it would interfere with the coconut flavor. Then I added some vanilla bean. Again, not a heavy vanilla taste – just enough to lend creaminess to the coconut and soften the edge of the bergamot and strong teas.

Then I went coconuts! This is a strongly coconut flavored tea but there’s enough bergamot there to give the cup the flavor that I was going for – this cuppa is my ideal London Fog! It’s got lots of coconut flavor without the milk drowning out the flavor of the tea. No “latte” required here, there’s enough creaminess to the flavor. Of course, if you want to go latte, that’s OK – but I’d recommend trying it without first!

YUM! I love this!

organic ingredients: black teas, coconut, bergamot, vanilla bean & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

So before I start reviewing this I want to write a disclaimer: My nose is stuffy, my throat is iffy, and my tongue is burnt. So my tastebuds are seriously dulled right now. I really like this tea though, even though I dont think the flavor is strong. I had my boyfriend taste it though, and he said he could definitely taste the coconut. The earl grey was nice though- again, dulled. But thats not the tea’s fault. Even so, its there- and I dont know why but to me earl grey kind of tastes like lemon cake. And then there’s a creamy hint of vanilla. And I know the coconut is there I just can’t taste it right now. Im definitely saving the rest of my sample though, and try it again after I’m feeling better.

Update- Yes, my tastes were off because this blend is really good. Its funny because I tried an earl grey vanilla/cream from a different company and dumped it without even finishing the cup because wow the black tea was so bold and bitter and there was NOT enough vanilla or cream flavor. So after being disappointed by that I decided to try Foggy Coconut again. And I’m really glad I did because its much better than the first time! Im still getting that yummy lemony/citrus cake flavor that I usually get with Earl Grey’s and I love. But the coconut has come through MUCH more than the first time around. I do add a drop of milk along with a little agave to add some creaminess. My ONLY suggestion here would be to keep to the original recipe, but add just a SMIDGE more vanilla and coconut. But I feel like I’m one of those people that ALWAYS thinks something needs “more” flavor. Im the same way with candles lol, I always say that they could have added more scent to them. I guess I’m one of those people thats always like “more more more” haha. Thats my only complaint though, otherwise, its a great tea and I did order more!

Flavors: Cake, Citrus, Coconut, Cream, Lemon, Vanilla

This is this week’s Tea of the Week – it was inspired by one of my favorite coffee shop drinks – London Fog. When I go to Mat’s medical appointments with him, I usually order a London Fog from the coffee shop that’s in the lobby of the medical office building. It’s not a big, brand-name coffee shop but they do a really pleasant London Fog. The first time I stopped in, I had ordered a Chai Latte which is pretty much the usual drink I order when I go to a coffee shop, however, it does depend upon what kind of Chai concentrate they use. I am not a fan of Oregon Chai because that stuff is mostly milk and sugar – try as I might, I can’t taste the tea in it. So as it happened, this little coffee shop did use Oregon Chai so I quickly altered my order to a London Fog and requested that they use less vanilla syrup than they usually do and also that they use coconut milk instead of their 2% cow’s milk. I loved the London Fog so much I wasn’t at all upset that I didn’t get a chai! (And I do love chai!)

One morning as I was sipping on one of these London Fog drinks, my mind started to play with the idea of creating a tea inspired by it. What would I change about the London Fog? First, I’d rather it be made with loose leaf tea rather than a tea bag. Well, that part is easy because all I offer is loose leaf tea. :)

Second, I wanted a stronger coconut presence in the drink. So I went a bit heavier on the coconut than you’d experience with a tea drink infused in coconut milk. I kept the vanilla moderate. The bergamot is strong but is softened somewhat by the presence of the coconut and vanilla.

This is my new favorite tea right now. It’s so yummy.