Foggy Coconut

Natural Bergamot Oil, Organic Black Tea, Organic Coconut, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Vanilla Beans
Bergamot, Coconut, Vanilla, Citrus, Creamy, Smooth, Sweet, Cake, Cream, Lemon
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

• “Working on seeing where i’m at with my cupboard now that it’s August. Man time is just FLYING! figured i should try this one out since i have a few more 52 teas to add to my cupboard. Most know...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yes, yes, ’tis moi! Oh, how I have missed you all and our steepster world! (I must say, however, that it has been far easier to temporarily not buy more teas without hanging out with all you...” Read full tasting note
  • “June Wedding! I still haven’t done an Earl Grey as my “something blue” (at least, I don’t think so), so here we go! Those pretty blue cornflower petals totally qualify! I love everything about this...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (639)! So, I passed this one up when it originally came out because I wasn’t sure I wanted more bergamot infused things in my life and I wasn’t totally sure that I thought coconut would...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Tea of the Week for October 9, 2017!

My inspiration behind this blend is one of my favorite coffee shop drinks: a London Fog Latte! I order mine with coconut milk and half the usual amount of vanilla syrup (otherwise, it’s just too sweet!) One day as I was sipping on this drink, I found myself contemplating the beverage. I love the way the hints of coconut play with the bergamot but I found myself wishing that the coconut notes were stronger. (I do love me some coconut!) I also found myself wishing that the tea notes were stronger – which I felt would be accomplished if it didn’t have so much milk product in it – but then, the coconut notes would not be present. Then the idea hits me: why not make my own version of this drink with these improvements in mind!

And here we have it: I started with a base of Assam and Yunnan for a rich, bold, malty flavor. Something that could hold it’s own even with the strong note of creamy coconut. Then I added bergamot – I didn’t want to go too heavy on the bergamot because I didn’t want the coconut and bergamot competing with each other. I wanted enough bergamot to be tasted but not so much that it would interfere with the coconut flavor. Then I added some vanilla bean. Again, not a heavy vanilla taste – just enough to lend creaminess to the coconut and soften the edge of the bergamot and strong teas.

Then I went coconuts! This is a strongly coconut flavored tea but there’s enough bergamot there to give the cup the flavor that I was going for – this cuppa is my ideal London Fog! It’s got lots of coconut flavor without the milk drowning out the flavor of the tea. No “latte” required here, there’s enough creaminess to the flavor. Of course, if you want to go latte, that’s OK – but I’d recommend trying it without first!

YUM! I love this!

organic ingredients: black teas, coconut, bergamot, vanilla bean & natural flavors

About 52teas View company

Working on seeing where i’m at with my cupboard now that it’s August. Man time is just FLYING! figured i should try this one out since i have a few more 52 teas to add to my cupboard. Most know i’m not a fan of blergamot…it’s one of my arch nemeses….however i’m always up for trying blerg based blends in the hopes of finding one i love…someday. This is actually pretty good for an EG type blend. The coconut makes this a creamy cup of tea and helps to smooth out that blaring blerg taste that i dislike. If you’re a fan of the blerg…this is light in taste but it’s still for sure there.

Thanks for the share variaTEA! this was a pleasant surprise…though i certainly don’t love it enough to want more…since it’s still a blerg tea lol

Yes, yes, ’tis moi!

Oh, how I have missed you all and our steepster world!
(I must say, however, that it has been far easier to temporarily not buy more teas without hanging out with all you enablers though. :)

My wifi has been out for 6 weeks or more now . The first three days I was panicking and I was on the phone with my internet provider who then had to push through a ticket to the phone company. Long story. Is it the electricity? Is it the modem/ router? Buy a new over the top expensive one. Same issue. Essentially no signal. But because I don’t buy the telephone company’s wifi service—but my internet provider buzzes my connection through the phone line—the phone company does not care because the land line is fine. Yes, yes, I know no one else on the planet has a landline.

Anyway, the thing is that one needs a sizeable chunk of time to deal with these people —a four hour window or more wait for their phone calls. And then, another day and another four hour window for the phone company to come look see.

Seven phone calls and my health and I ran out of time and out of patience. For now.

For the next few days, I am house and kitty sitting for a friend, so I am hooked up with wifi, anyway. But I am using her computer, hence, a new account. Because passwords, oh hello. (Likely, if and when my wifi at home gets sorted, I’ll be back to my original account.)

Anyway, today I cracked this tea open for the first time and just yay! Vanilla loveliness gliding over the bergamot and frisky black base. The coconut softens all the edges. Beautiful.

This is just the second black tea I am drinking after a long long stretch of green and oolong. Smooth and lovely.

Flavors: Bergamot, Coconut, Vanilla

ashmanra

We JUST got rid of our landline! We had the same number for 24 years but eventually got almost exclusively spam calls.

evol-ving

I never answer it, or at least rarely. Good to have though—especially when the wifi goes out. I am now considering whether I need wifi at home at all. It’s been so lovely to have my days uncluttered by the urgencies of email and social media. I’ve even read books.

Glad to hear you’re ok…as you’ll see both Anne and I have been hoping all is well with you.

52Teas

Very good to hear from you! :)

Roswell Strange

Happy to see you back, and hear that you’re alright! Missed you! <3

mrmopar

I still have my landline. Hopefully you can get back running soon!

Thank you, guys. <3

LuckyMe

Welcome back, glad you’re still alive and kicking. 6 weeks without wifi is brutal…hope you get back online soon!

Teatotaler

I was wondering where you were. I missed your posts. It’s really great to have you back with us! :)

evol-ving

Thank you both. It’s great to be back in the groove and see everyone.
And talk about tea and life, of course. <3

Mastress Alita

I still have a landline… and no cellphone! (Yes, I’m going for a Guinness World Record on that one). My landline is Voice-Over-IP through my cable Internet service, though… which I couldn’t live without. 6 weeks!? I’d be going off the deep end after 6 hours! You have amazing grit…

evol-ving

Haahhahaha, after three days, I was fine. I even read complete books. That said, now that I have access as I kittysit, gritwoman hasn’t been offline for a second.

Please keep things friendly and .

I love everything about this tea… the aroma of the leaf has such a sweet aroma, it’s like a coconut creme dessert, with this citrus twist from the bergamot. But brewed up into a cuppa… This is hands down the best Earl Grey I’ve had to date, and may have a lot to do with my project earlier this year in adapting my palate to bergamot… a flavor I used to abhor. Because when I took a chance on this tea, everything was just perfect; it has a super creamy mouthfeel with a lot of natural sweetness, this really full, natural coconut flavor, and the sweet creamy coconut blends so well with that normally sharp/biting citrus bergamot flavor to mellow it and compliment it in a way that the flavors together create this slight tropical note. The bergamot feels pleasant rather than overbearing like I get with so many other Earl Greys. Additionally, the black base is super smooth, with no bitterness or astringency… it’s just a really wonderful cup! I kept wanting to horde my little packet of this so I wouldn’t use it up, but since I know coconut doesn’t keep long, I’m finally at that point where I’ve told myself, “Sara, you are just going to have to enjoy it now, and move on.” I certainly wouldn’t want to risk the coconut going bad and lose the good thing I could’ve had… Man, if only this tea were a permanent collection tea! I really do mean it when I say it’s the tea that changed my whole mind about Earl Greys in general. (And despite it’s name, it’s one of the few that I don’t have to drink as a London Fog just to get down!)

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus, Coconut, Creamy, Smooth, Sweet

Sipdown (639)!

So, I passed this one up when it originally came out because I wasn’t sure I wanted more bergamot infused things in my life and I wasn’t totally sure that I thought coconut would pair. Well, VariaTEA passed some along to me and now I have to admit that I’m really kicking myself because this was INCREDIBLE.

It tasted exactly like a very smooth, and sweet London Fog but with the addition of creamy, buttery coconut. The vanilla was the strongest note overall, and it was so good! Very, very rich and flavourful – like decadent Madagascar Vanilla. I should have known from past 52Teas experiences that it would be this incredible; I’m almost never let down by a 52Teas blend with vanilla in it! I also think that the vanilla deserves the credit for being the thing that really did make the coconut fit in with the bergamot. Vanilla and bergamot are such a good pairing, as are vanilla and coconut so vanilla just becomes this perfect flavour bridge to create a very solid trio.

I added just a touch of milk halfway through the cup to make this a bit more like a London Fog – it was equally tasty with milk but had a bit more body in terms of mouthfeel.

Honestly this was just… the best. I would 100% support a reblend.

Please keep things friendly and .

It’s about time I opened this. The dry leaf is generously laced with chipped coconut and thankfully doesn’t smell soapy at all. No one needs rancid, soapy coconut in their lives. And then there’s the bergamot but it’s quite mellow. Not nearly as in-your-face as some straight EG and even some EGC blends can be.

I agree with VariaTEA that this is very similar to Herbal Infusion’s Marshmallow Snowflake Earl Grey, which was softer and more well-rounded with the vanilla marshmallow. In essence, this is like a cross between that and the original 52teas Coconut Cream Pie.

Smooth black base, fresh coconut, warm vanilla, and mellow bergamot all rolled into one. I’m having it with a splash of 2% milk but I’m itching to try it as a true latte. Maybe next time!

VariaTEA

Yeah, that’s my plan as well

Please keep things friendly and .

As far as bergamot teas go, this is actually quite nice. It reminds me of my beloved Marshmallow Snowflake Earl Grey. It’s so creamy from the vanilla/coconut that it doesn’t even need milk (though I’m sure it would be an awesome latte) and the bergamot provides a brightness that is very much welcome. I think it might be a touch too berg for me to have this often but every once in a while it is really nice and today it has hit the spot for sure.

Kittenna

Missed this one entirely, oh well! It sounds like a good combo.

Please keep things friendly and .

So before I start reviewing this I want to write a disclaimer: My nose is stuffy, my throat is iffy, and my tongue is burnt. So my tastebuds are seriously dulled right now. I really like this tea though, even though I dont think the flavor is strong. I had my boyfriend taste it though, and he said he could definitely taste the coconut. The earl grey was nice though- again, dulled. But thats not the tea’s fault. Even so, its there- and I dont know why but to me earl grey kind of tastes like lemon cake. And then there’s a creamy hint of vanilla. And I know the coconut is there I just can’t taste it right now. Im definitely saving the rest of my sample though, and try it again after I’m feeling better.

Update- Yes, my tastes were off because this blend is really good. Its funny because I tried an earl grey vanilla/cream from a different company and dumped it without even finishing the cup because wow the black tea was so bold and bitter and there was NOT enough vanilla or cream flavor. So after being disappointed by that I decided to try Foggy Coconut again. And I’m really glad I did because its much better than the first time! Im still getting that yummy lemony/citrus cake flavor that I usually get with Earl Grey’s and I love. But the coconut has come through MUCH more than the first time around. I do add a drop of milk along with a little agave to add some creaminess. My ONLY suggestion here would be to keep to the original recipe, but add just a SMIDGE more vanilla and coconut. But I feel like I’m one of those people that ALWAYS thinks something needs “more” flavor. Im the same way with candles lol, I always say that they could have added more scent to them. I guess I’m one of those people thats always like “more more more” haha. Thats my only complaint though, otherwise, its a great tea and I did order more!

Flavors: Cake, Citrus, Coconut, Cream, Lemon, Vanilla

Please keep things friendly and .

This is this week’s Tea of the Week – it was inspired by one of my favorite coffee shop drinks – London Fog. When I go to Mat’s medical appointments with him, I usually order a London Fog from the coffee shop that’s in the lobby of the medical office building. It’s not a big, brand-name coffee shop but they do a really pleasant London Fog. The first time I stopped in, I had ordered a Chai Latte which is pretty much the usual drink I order when I go to a coffee shop, however, it does depend upon what kind of Chai concentrate they use. I am not a fan of Oregon Chai because that stuff is mostly milk and sugar – try as I might, I can’t taste the tea in it. So as it happened, this little coffee shop did use Oregon Chai so I quickly altered my order to a London Fog and requested that they use less vanilla syrup than they usually do and also that they use coconut milk instead of their 2% cow’s milk. I loved the London Fog so much I wasn’t at all upset that I didn’t get a chai! (And I do love chai!)

One morning as I was sipping on one of these London Fog drinks, my mind started to play with the idea of creating a tea inspired by it. What would I change about the London Fog? First, I’d rather it be made with loose leaf tea rather than a tea bag. Well, that part is easy because all I offer is loose leaf tea. :)

Second, I wanted a stronger coconut presence in the drink. So I went a bit heavier on the coconut than you’d experience with a tea drink infused in coconut milk. I kept the vanilla moderate. The bergamot is strong but is softened somewhat by the presence of the coconut and vanilla.

This is my new favorite tea right now. It’s so yummy.