Black Magic Matcha

Matcha White Tea
Cocoa, Matcha Green Tea, White Tea
Cocoa, Grain, Grass, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Umami
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 13 Oh, Bird & Blend, what unusual matchas you have… This one is full of activated charcoal. It has virtually no dry scent at all. It seemed...” Read full tasting note
  • “I don’t know if you can necessarily “cold brew” a matcha since it’s a powder that infuses pretty instantly when whisked/stirred into what liquid you’re using (water, milk, etc.) but I guess this...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Activated charcoal matcha with creamy cocoa!

This antioxidant-rich potion creates a magical black liquid once made up. Essentially flavourless, activated charcoal further boosts the antioxidant properties of our signature pure matcha rich in umami – the Japanese word for the delicious ‘fifth taste’, after salt, sweet, sour and bitter.

Warning: Activated charcoal can interfere with medication. We recommend that you wait at least 3 hours after taking medication before consuming the matcha. This also applies to the contraceptive pill.

Activated coconut charcoal, cocoa powder, matcha green tea, Kenyan white matcha.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 13

Oh, Bird & Blend, what unusual matchas you have… This one is full of activated charcoal. It has virtually no dry scent at all. It seemed extremely fine in the tin, but I sifted it into my chawan anyway, and was happy I did because there were some big clumps of cocoa powder.

Wow, this was pitch black before I added the milk. In fact, it tried to stain my chasen a little bit and required some more strenuous cleaning to get it off.

This is an interesting once. Even with the 8 ounces of soy milk, it’s still quite a dark grey color. I’m not sure if it’s because of the charcoal, but it has a somewhat gritty texture – not terribly unpleasant or anything, just something of note. The flavor is a nice mix of grassy and slightly umami matcha with a bit of a roasty hit. I’m not sure if that’s from the cocoa, as supposedly charcoal doesn’t have any flavor. I can taste the rich cocoa flavor as well.

Overall, this is actually quite tasty aside from the texture. Hopefully their Cocoa Matcha is also in the calendar and tastes similar, as I really don’t care about the charcoal aspect.

From the Bonne Maman calendar, today we have Strawberry-Redcurrant (Fraise-Groseille) spread. I’m not sure I know what redcurrant tastes like, it’s not a common flavor here in the States. I know what they look like, and they’re one of the “four red fruits”, but I’ve never tried one. I would guess semi-tart? Anyway, this tastes of yummy strawberry jam with a bit more zing, I assume from the redcurrant. I hope they have a plain redcurrant jam in this calendar, as I would love to try it. For science…

Flavors: Cocoa, Grain, Grass, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Umami

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I don’t know if you can necessarily “cold brew” a matcha since it’s a powder that infuses pretty instantly when whisked/stirred into what liquid you’re using (water, milk, etc.) but I guess this was KIND OF cold brewed?

Basically I whisked it into a glass of water and chia that hadn’t “gelled up” yet and left it overnight in the fridge while the chia did its thing and hydrated, or whatever you want to call it. So this was cold matcha + chia. It tasted really nice; pleasantly smooth cocoa notes. However, because of the charcoal I think, there was a strong and distinct grittiness to the texture that was off putting. I generally think of chia as very smooth so having a gritty chia drink was… a no go.

VariaTEA

I am very intrigued by this matcha though the grittiness sounds less intriguing lol