Ultra Violet Matcha

Herbal Matcha Blend
Cardamom, Lavender, Matcha Green Tea, Natural Flavours
Candy, Cardamon, Floral, Lavender, Perfume, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 14 This one sounds intriguing – violet and cardamom matcha with lavender? I’m not generally a big fan of lavender, but I do like cardamom and I’d...” Read full tasting note
  • “230/365 I made this one up as a “UV Unicorn” today, using Bird & Blend’s recipe. It’s 1/2 tsp of Ultra Violet matcha, mixed with 150ml of Blue Raspberry and poured over ice. I topped mine off...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Violet and cardamom matcha, inspired by Pantone’s Colour of the Year

One of the first floral matchas ever created. Inspired by Pantone’s Colour of the Year, Ultra Violet is a nod to our often requested Palma Violet + Purple Rain teas. Classic matcha lovers will love this. This classy and elegant matcha isn’t super sweet, you can still taste the matcha with a floral hint.

Japanese matcha green tea, cardamom, lavender, natural flavouring granules.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 14

This one sounds intriguing – violet and cardamom matcha with lavender? I’m not generally a big fan of lavender, but I do like cardamom and I’d imagine the two would pair well together.

I will say, I really wish I’d sifted this one. I haven’t been bothering because as long as I start with a very small amount of warm water and whisk it into a paste, I never have an issue with lumps. But this seems to have actual tiny pieces of lavender in it, and it’s a little weird in the finished texture. But I guess they must not expect you to sift or you wouldn’t get any lavender? Strange.

Anyway, I do like this one. The lavender is a nice contrast with the creamy milk, and it’s strong but not quite too strong. I think it probably would be too strong for me prepared with water, though. I mostly taste the cardamom near the end of the sip, after the lavender has calmed down a little bit. Really, cardamom is rather floral as well, so it’s difficult to differentiate between the two.

There is some here that tastes almost candy-ish, though, which brings the whole blend down a little for me. I suppose it must be the violet flavoring, as I know violet-flavored candies are popular in Britain. But the candy element sort of clashes with the other flavors, which are more botanical.

Anyway, on to the Bonne Maman! Today’s jam is Raspberry-Lychee (Framboise-Litchi) spread. I’m excited for this one!

Hm, I will say to me, this needs more lychee. The raspberry is quite strong and overpowering. I’m not sure I would have even detected the lychee if I hadn’t known it was there. On some bites I taste it more than others, which is interesting.

I do like it, I would just vote for more lychee.

Flavors: Candy, Cardamon, Floral, Lavender, Perfume, Sweet

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mastress Alita

Hmm, I’ll have to try this one sometime. Lavender milk is one of my favorite things ever!

230/365

I made this one up as a “UV Unicorn” today, using Bird & Blend’s recipe. It’s 1/2 tsp of Ultra Violet matcha, mixed with 150ml of Blue Raspberry and poured over ice. I topped mine off with sparkling water. I wasn’t sure whether I liked it at first. It’s very green, both from the matcha and the Blue Raspberry’s sencha base, and typically cold matcha isn’t my thing anyway. It grew on me after a few sips, though.

The matcha provides the bulk of the flavour, and while it’s floral, it’s that unique kind of fragrant-candy kind of floral that violet has. If you’re familiar with parma violets, you’ll probably know what I mean. It tastes like those, only with an edge of something I recognise from other Bird & Blend matchas. I adds additional sweetness and is kind of mapley, and so I’m pretty sure it’s the carob.

The Blue Raspberry doesn’t have a lot of impact on the flavour. There’s a light raspberry flavour in the background (not so noticeably sour, this time!), and a faint hint of butterfly pea. Mostly, though, it’s violets and grass.

I almost like it. I don’t think I’d rush to make this particular recipe again, although there’s nothing intrinsically bad about it. I actually think it’s a pairing that’s well thought out – both teas have floral elements, the sourness of the raspberry is balanced out by the candy-like sweetness of the violet, and they both have green bases so everything hangs together around that central similarity. It’s maybe a bit over green for my tastes, but I can still appreciate it. I definitely want to try this matcha as a latte, though (maybe even an iced latte…), since the thought of liquid parma violet is really quite appealing…

I like that Bird & Blend are becoming more experimental with their matcha flavours. Ultra Violet is part of this year’s spring/summer Curious Matcha collection, and I’m looking forward to trying the others on the strength of this one.

tea-sipper