Herbal Tea
Anise, Cream, Licorice
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

• “What the heck is this tea? It’s a weirdie tea. Anyway, it was the cheapest tea during the Bird&Blend sale and really, I’m usually going for any teas on sale that I haven’t tried yet (or...” Read full tasting note
  • “292/365 Another of Bird & Blend’s Fairytale Collection, and probably the one I liked the idea of least. It’s purple, though, and who doesn’t love a purple tea? I was actually surprised that it...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Mermaid Mist is a magical concoction of apple, blackcurrant & blue pea flower with notes of aniseed & liquorice! Add a squeeze of lemon & be hypnotised by the magical colour change!

Mermaid Mist is part of our new Fairytale Collection along with Butter Brew and Belle’s Breakfast.
Our Expert Tea Mixologist’s Top Tip: Simply add water for the full experience…nothing else is needed!

Hibiscus, apple pieces, aniseed, rosehip, blue pea flowers, liquorice, blackcurrant leaves, natural flavouring.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

What the heck is this tea? It’s a weirdie tea. Anyway, it was the cheapest tea during the Bird&Blend sale and really, I’m usually going for any teas on sale that I haven’t tried yet (or favorites that aren’t always in stock – like Spiced Pumpkin Pie). I remember a couple years ago when B&B had a 150gram pouch of Christmas Cake and a couple other teas on sale for around $3!! Now THAT is a sale.
On to the tea: Dry leafed, this one is quite the mystery and has a very unique scent to it. A little bit like licorice but with an odd creamy scent. I’d say the resulting flavor was the same: hints of licorice and something oddly creamy with a hint of tartness (from the rosehips, I’d imagine). I think it needed a bit more to the flavor than licorice and cream but it certainly isn’t a tea I already have around. They say this is a blue tea. It certainly is, probably with the help of these big purple flowers in the blend. The first cup had hints of red, but if I held the cup to the light, the color was a purple/blue. I didn’t even have to add lemon, as the description mentions. After reading the description, I can tell there is aniseed here but this is the second tea I’m having today that should taste like black currant and just doesn’t. hmm. I would advise, if the steeps are done right, the second cup almost tastes exactly the same, but even more blue/purple. So this is not a tea to miss with a second steep! (Usually I’m second guessing herbal teas and how much flavor a second steep would have.) I didn’t want to “burn” the flavor on the first steep, but went full hot boil on the second steep to get as much out of it as I could. This isn’t the best blend from B&B but it is intriguing on all levels, so that’s something. This is not a tea I’d say was a cupboard essential, but it’s unique and I sure loved buying it on sale.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// 16 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

Flavors: Anise, Cream, Licorice

Mastress Alita

The blue flowers are butterfly pea flower, and if you add lemon juice it’ll make the tea violet/purple by changing the pH level of the tea. I have a bag of butterfly pea flowers and actually had a cup of butterfly pea flower tea the other night, and that’s my favorite way to drink it, with lemon juice and honey.

tea-sipper

But that’s what is puzzling me… the tea was entirely blue both steeps without adding any lemon at all.

Mastress Alita

Right. Butterfly Pea Flower stains tea blue. If you add lemon, it will change color from blue to purple, because it changes the pH levels in the tea from the acid content.

tea-sipper

Oh got it. I guess I can’t tell the difference between the blue or purple in this mug, because sometimes it looks blue and sometimes purple.

292/365

Another of Bird & Blend’s Fairytale Collection, and probably the one I liked the idea of least. It’s purple, though, and who doesn’t love a purple tea? I was actually surprised that it came out purple, since it’s butterfly pea flower that does it and that usually comes out blue. It looks good in bright light, if a bit murky.

Colour aside, I have to admit that my expectations weren’t high. The main ingredients in this blend are hibiscus, rosehip, apple, aniseed, and liquorice. Some of my arch-nemeses in there! I’m now on my second cold in three weeks, though, so the liquorice doesn’t seem like a bad idea. I know I’m ill when I’m making statements like that! Seriously, though, my new colleagues must think I’m a sickly thing. I don’t think they’ve seen me at my best for a single day yet, since I just seem to be bouncing from one cold to the next and I know I look tired and run-down. I keep wanting to tell them I’m not like this really, but I think they’ll see that for themselves once I’m back to normal…if that ever happens!

So I wasn’t expecting much from this one, and then I realised it smells like vanilla cake batter. More to the point, it tastes like vanilla cake batter. I don’t get where that’s coming from, since none of the ingredients even remotely suggest that to me, but there it is. The liqourice adds a degree of sweetness, although it’s not overpowering or cloying in the way it sometimes can be. I also feel like the butterfly pea flower is pretty subtle, too, which isn’t always the case. Even the hibi and rosehip aren’t too sour/tart, which is a rare thing in my experience. This is one well-balanced blend!

Despite my misgivings, I actually quite like this one. It’s an interesting flavour, and clearly well put together. The only thing I don’t really get is the name – what have mermaids to do with any of this?

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp