Banana Walnut Butterscotch

Oolong Tea
Banana, Creamy, Butterscotch, Cream, Walnut, banana, Butter, Nutty, Fruity, Sweet
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by adagio breeze

From Butiki Teas

Sweet banana and rich butterscotch flavors unite and meld harmoniously with walnut and baked notes from our lightly roasted Baked Ali Shan for a light and delicious indulgence. While sugar is not necessary, adding a little bit will create the flavor of freshly baked banana cream pie.

Ingredients: Taiwanese Oolong Tea, Walnuts, Organic Freeze-Dried Bananas, Organic Natural Flavors (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

About Butiki Teas View company

This was sent to me by the lovely Sil, because she wasn’t loving it and I was in try all the Butikis mode. Thank you so very much!

Honestly I wasn’t really expecting to like this, because I tend not to get along with banana very much in any form, but as soon as I started my Butiki drink-a-thon I was drawn to this sample, it just looked so appealing. I kept putting it off and waiting for the perfect moment to drink it; either I’d eaten too recently, or had too similar a tea not that long ago, or I didn’t have time to fully appreciate it. But now… well, now still wasn’t perfect timing, but I got fed up of waiting and too impatient so I’m having it right this second. Ha. As soon as I opened the little package I knew instantly that it was this tea that’s been stinking up all my other samples. So I’m very familiar with the scent, seeing as all of my samples smell like this tea, but it did make me wary of drinking it because I imagined extremely strong chemical banana which just didn’t seem all that appealing to me. Luckily this is not the case at all!

The banana flavour is very mellow, and on a perfect level with the Ali Shan, an oolong I really like on its own and was happy to see as the base for this blend. It’s creamy and nutty and – as per usual – a really good match for the flavours. The main note of the tea, on a par with the smooth, lightly floral oolong, is the banana, and I agree with everyone who has said that it’s a natural banana rather than a candy banana flavour. There are these foam banana sweets you used to get when I was a kid and that’s how I imagined this tea tasting, but I was happily wrong. It tastes like a natural, ripe banana – not green, not yet browning. The walnut note comes through in the aftertaste and is more delicate than I thought walnut could be, but not by any means weak. It’s a very natural flavour, too, like the banana, and it has a very specific mouthfeel I’m finding it difficult to describe but reminds me of the skin of the nut. It reminds me a little of my true love Maple Pecan Oolong in this respect. I don’t really get much in the way of butterscotch, and added a small amount of sugar to try to fix this, but still no luck. I’m assuming it adds to the sweet, rich, creaminess which I’m identifying in this without imparting specific flavour, which I’m okay with. Sugar brings out the banana more and turns it into a slightly overripe note. I’ve just finished my cup before typing this sentence, and the last couple of mouthfuls had gone ice cold. It’s a slightly weird tea to drink cold, in my opinion, but the walnut note was dominating this way.

I like this tea but I’m not blown away by it. I wouldn’t pick it up myself, but I’m super glad to have been able to try it and will enjoy my next and final cup. Only two more samples remaining, and then I’m moving on to my huuuuge stock from my triple-order Butiki is closing, quick, panic-buy everything haul! That sounds like I haven’t drank them before but I have, I promise.

The scent of this tea is pure creamy banana. I can’t really smell much of the oolong, but I’ll be honest and say that I’m just here for that banana and butterscotch.

Sipping… oh this makes me sad that I can’t buy more. It’s such a perfect creamy banana tea! The walnut adds a bit of coarse starchiness to the background reminding me of a banana bread. I don’t really taste the butterscotch, but I think I’m finding it in the tea’s smooth and soft character. The banana is beautiful and natural. I love the oolong base and the way it adds just a hint of that green leafy flavor to the cup. Everything blends together so well.. it’s just perfect!

Fjellrev

Yum! Do you like this more than Foxy Roxy’s?

QueenOfTarts

Fjellrev – They are both so delicious.. it’d be hard to pick a favorite. I haven’t had Foxy Roxy’s in a while, but this one is fitting my mood lately. Both are yummy!

Stephanie

RIP delicious Butiki banana blends :(

Thanks again for the sale, TheLastDodo! I was dying to try this one! I love Butiki’s banana teas, add walnut and butterscotch on a lovely oolong…. then say it tastes like banana cream pie? I’m there! I only have two teaspoons of this one so I went with one tsp instead of 1 1/2 but made SURE to not fill the mug all the way. I imagine the flavor would be even better than this glorious cup then, with an extra half tsp! The banana and walnut fragrance is definitely there even before I take a sip. Wow this is so so good. The flavors almost overpower the oolong itself, but I don’t mind. The second steep has noticeable peach undertones. The third is nuttier. I’d expect the flavors to diminish a little with subsequent steeps, but not with a Butiki tea! I know the oolong is very nice on its own anyway. I wish I had more than a teaspoon left!
Steep #1 // 18 minutes after boiling // 1 tsp // 4 minute steep
Steep #2 // 7 min a.b. // 3 min
Steep #3 // just boiled // 4-5 min

This tea was so good! No artificial, gross flavors at all, just perfect. So sad it is all gone. Will have to search for a replacement banana tea.

Flavors: Banana, Creamy

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I need a banana oolong in my life. I realize that now.

…and there goes my short lived pouch of tea.

Flavors: Banana, Butterscotch, Cream, Walnut

Plunkybug

Awww, did you end up drinking the whole pouch?

CrowKettle

I think I have one more session left (for tomorrow). I’m in an oolong kick right now, and no use in hoarding it :)

OMGsrsly

I feel that way after having Lupicia’s Banane Chocolate. A fresh banana oolong would be so good!

Plunkybug

Enjoy it!

I forgot that I had ordered this! I am currently just trying to get through my smaller sizes of Butiki’s so I can have room in my cupboard.

This is such an interesting blend! The banana is so spot on.. I mean, how does Stacy do it? There is a creamy note from the nuts and the butterscotch that carries on to the buttery goodness of the oolong. I was amazed at how little 3.5g looked in my gaiwan, but when I steeped it a couple more times, it filled it up quiet substantially. ahh, jade oolong, you own my heart!

The walnut and the banana flavors are quite hardy, I am still detecting a hint of both on my 5th steep.
I feel so lucky to have had this tea in my cupboard!

Flavors: banana, Butter, Creamy, Nutty

3 g

Omg guys. If anyone has this and doesn’t like it PLEASE I WILL BUY IT OR SWAP OR ANYTHING. Ahem.

Basically, this tea is amazing, and it’s the closest I will ever probably taste to my beloved Banana Oolong from DavidsTea (although I am going to petition hard for the new 52teas to replicate this, if I remember). It’s a bit different, of course – I can distinctly taste the walnut in here – but the rest is much the same. Delicious oolong base (it works SO well with these flavours), natural banana flavour (no runts!), butterscotch to give the bananas a bit of a caramelized flavour, which is amazing. I am so glad I bought a second pouch of this… but 1 ounce is not enough of this tea. Not even close. Had I the opportunity, I would probably pick up at least 4 ounces of this (probably more). I miss you Butiki :(

kimquat

D’oh. I missed this one. Sounds amaaaaaaazing though.

Butiki Teas

Kittenna-You may want to check with Sil. I don’t think she liked it that much. Maybe she would be willing to part with her portion?

Zack S.

I have 1/2oz minus a serving. Really want your Smoked Banana from Butiki!

Kittenna

Yes. Yes. Yes.

tea-sipper

I’m finishing this one now… I’d buy four ounces of it too! Can Butiki come back just to reblend this one? :D

this tea has made me super sad. I love stacy’s bana flavour..and yet with this one i’m getting awhole lot of oolong..with only an after taste of banana…. and while there’s a bit of a sweetness there…it isn’t butterscotch to me…or walnut. le sigh. At least someone else out there will love this i’m sure!

Kittenna

Gotta try this…

Nattie

I didn’t pick any of this up, if you want to wap a tiny sample of it my way…

will do nattie!

Nattie

Woo! Thanks (:

I am not a big fan of flavored tea, but this was awesome! Very creamy banana to begin, with a bit of walnut. Almost like a banana cream pie, but not quite so sweet. Multiple resteeps possible, and the butterscotch didn’t show up until the third steep.

Flavors: banana, Butterscotch, Creamy

I completely missed out on the legendary Foxy Roxy tea, so I was so excited when Stacy came out with another banana bread-type blend. Now that I’ve tried it, I’m kicking myself for not ordering more! This stuff is magical…smooth, silky oolong supporting an incredibly natural banana flavor with hints of walnuts and a nice sweet aftertaste from the butterscotch. A cup of this could easily replace dessert for me…but I’ll be saving it for special occasions because I want to make this last as long as possible!

Flavors: banana, Butterscotch, Walnut