2014 Crimson Lotus Bulang Shan Tribute Tea

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Herbs, Leather, Medicinal, Smoke, Sweet, Astringent, Honey, Bitter, Salty, Peat Moss, Pepper, Spinach, Sugarcane, Wet Wood
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea

• “Surprisingly orange already for a 2014 sheng, the wonders of humid storage, I guess? Opens up with a hint of smoke and a distinct trace of Chinese medicinal taste that I think will grow stronger...” Read full tasting note
  • “Free sample with my last order, thank you CLT. I used it to test the effects of one of my jian shu teapots compared with a gaiwan, and honestly, prefered it out of a...” Read full tasting note
  • “right now im drinking the last of this bulang. i have about 4.99g for my raw yixing ive dubbed, Enkil, the ancient vampire of anne rice’s books- the vampire lestat, and queen of the damned....” Read full tasting note
  • “This was my first real taste of puerh and I enjoyed it very much. I was struck by how smokey the flavor was, it was not exactly what I had been expecting, but it was not bad either. I am still...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

This is an interesting young sheng puerh that is a total steal at this price. In the modern puerh market much emphasis is put on ancient trees and famous villages. That is understandable. There is a reason why famous villages are famous and there is a reason why gushu / ancient tree is desired. That isn’t the entire picture though. If you take material of humble origins and blend it with skill you can create something that is greater than the sum of the parts. That is what this tea is.

This sheng puerh was expertly blended from material sourced from 8 villages in the Bulang mountains of Xishuangbanna. It consists of young material under 100 years old, but older than 50 years old. Simple material but blended with great skill. This is an excellent tea. It brews slightly smoky at first but then mellows while continuing to provide a bit of that bite that Bulang is known for.

This is one of those cakes that will just get better with time. Buy a few and toss them in the pumidor for the future. Your grandkids will thank you!

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Surprisingly orange already for a 2014 sheng, the wonders of humid storage, I guess? Opens up with a hint of smoke and a distinct trace of Chinese medicinal taste that I think will grow stronger over time. It has a good amount of throat coating feeling as well as returning sweetness, although not initially sweet at all (unless you let the liquor drop to almost room temperature).

I brewed this gently at 205 degrees (prewarmed everything and one 5 sec rinse) which pushes out some noticeable astringency, but also a stronger medicinal taste if that’s your thing. I dislike astringency above all, so I opened the lid while brewing and after to cool down the overall temp and that dry teeth feeling. Not much bitterness and nice depth to explore with a leathery taste and feeling as the main character. I think this will be interesting to try again in a few years but it is quite drinkable now, although more dry feeling than I personally like.

Flavors: Herbs, Leather, Medicinal, Smoke, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Free sample with my last order, thank you CLT. I used it to test the effects of one of my jian shu teapots compared with a gaiwan, and honestly, prefered it out of a gaiwan.

The teapot stole some of the sharper higher notes, and in this case the higher notes made this tea better. This tea is very clean, no off-flavors and no fermentation. I don’t remember any smokiness or bitterness as others have reported. Perhaps those notes are already transformed and this tea has moved on?

Classic sweet date flavor, mildly complex, and the aftertaste wasn’t too long, but there was a little. I preferred this much more than the 2008 Bulang shu which I bought a brick of, don’t get me wrong the 2008 is good but I like this 2014 vintage better. The brick still has more fermentation whereas this 2014 version has none.

This tea agreed with me and was easy on the stomach.

I don’t remember any chi from the first day I drank this. But the following day I mixed the tea from both gaiwan and teapot and grandpa brewed it and experienced a strong wave of energy and goosebumps, power, and strength. It was invigorating.

Decent longevity, it outlasted me and carried over to a second day. If there’s any left, I’ll be adding a brick to my next order.

right now im drinking the last of this bulang. i have about 4.99g for my raw yixing ive dubbed, Enkil, the ancient vampire of anne rice’s books- the vampire lestat, and queen of the damned. i just love those books, so i thought id honor my pots and her characters, making Enkil my sheng pot, and Akasha my shou.

ya anyways.. after a quick rinse, the tea has loosed lots and is giving off a strong sort of sweet-hay smell.

first steep, and the brew is light, sweet, strong and palatable, with a light yellow liquid.
with just a few sips, the tea qi is already oozing out of me, and i feel soft like a pillow, ha. i wonder if its just that im excited to be back at my gongfu table.. maybe im getting a contact high..

second- the liquor has darkened and the smell is somewhat smokier now which i love, however its not a burning wood smoky, but more like a burning field. the tea has become richer and heavier feeling in the mouth. lots of the initial bite you would expect from a young sheng has actually given way to a rounder, more complex brew, with some astringent activity part way through the sip.

well the tea has come apart in this third steep. i love the strength of the aroma.. this is astringency i like; rounded with some sweetness, but very in your face. < that is from the pot. the cup is less in your face, as you would expect. some bitterness digs at the middle of my tongue and stays there when i sip. the heat & the bulangy-ness is making my feet sweat and i fear my tongue is drying up.

fourth steep- im picking up some cedar on the nose. less astringent, still very flavorful and a little sweetness to balance.

this tea is really great and i think ill be ordering more in the future, as i am now out of it. it always helps me wake up when i feel groggy. i love how this is active in the mouth and tart as f***.

im feeling wide awake and hot and kind of fidgity.. strange how fast the qi hit. im going to drink on, but the review ends here.<

-nycoma

This was my first real taste of puerh and I enjoyed it very much. I was struck by how smokey the flavor was, it was not exactly what I had been expecting, but it was not bad either. I am still working through brews.

Flavors: Smoke

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I wanted to drink tea before work this morning. I usually make a single cup of something “basic,” but I figured it’d be a treat to have something complex and unique since I was going in later than usual.

The first few steeps (1-4) were smokey and slightly astringent. However, it was pretty satisfying. The best thing about a sheng is the astringency, I think. This one was full of it within the first few cups. However, as the next few came along (6-9), there was no longer any astringency, but the smokiness lingered on, following a sweet (honey?) note in the aftertaste.

It was a pretty great tea to start the day with. It allowed me to ease my mind before work, and get a few things done prior to my shift. I have about 8 grams left, but I think I’ll save it for a much needed tea session, or when friends come over. This’ll be a tea that would be great to share with someone who is quite the tea fanatic. However, I have a friend who is starting to get into sheng pu-erh, too, and isn’t totally as obsessed with tea as I am; however, he will drink tea when he’s here. So maybe, I’ll have him over soon, or maybe I’ll save it for a rainy day.

Flavors: Astringent, Honey, Smoke, Sweet

mrmopar

I like this one. I am glad I got a second cake to age.

S.G. Sanders

I should’ve bought more than the sample. However, I have ways of making it last.

mrmopar

Tea hoarder in the making I see…

S.G. Sanders

Not so much now that the wife is drinking some! I think she believes that if she joins in my little sessions, the tea will dwindle away quicker. Ha-ha.

Matu

That just means you have to order more ;)

S.G. Sanders

@Matu, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase any more bulang. Pretty soon, bulang will be the only tea for me. But first, I must drink down a lot of the tea I have. It’s getting out of hand! Ha-ha.

Perhaps I should press his and hers cakes? :-D

S.G. Sanders

Yeah, Crimson Lotus Tea, that’d make great anniversary gifts! :)

Been a while since I have had some time to post. Summer work schedule has been a bit brutal lately and the heat. I think most know it is that time of year.
I remember this when I first got it. I bought it untasted and then grabbed another after it got here.
I got about 10 grams of this to brew tonight. I have been doing it for 3 days but I wanted a fresh from the cake portion to start with.
The wet leaf after the rinse has a bit of smoke in there with a sweet aroma. The tea on the first brew has some sweetness in the beginning and the BuLang comes in. This one come in on the middle of the tongue. A bit of the oily coating come in on the sip. There is some tingle on the tongue. It is coming across as bitter and punchy. Smacking the taste buds around. The color of the tea is coming through as a more golden color. I remember it being a bit lighter and greener in color when young. I don’t know if it is the pumidor aging or a combination of both. This is warming , salty and with a nice bitter punch to it. There are wisps of some smoke and sweetness but the BuLang is the potent factor here. It is a nice blend and seems to be punching above its ticket for me. I have brewed this all week and I am glad I had a break to post on it.

Flavors: Bitter, Salty, Smoke, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 4 OZ / 118 ML
Matu

That sounds good. I think once CLT starts offering samples of their 2016, I might buy a cake of this and some of those samples.

Crimson Lotus Tea

Thanks for the review Mr. Mopar!

mrmopar

@Crimson Lotus Tea and to you for finding this.

So I’m new at pu’ehr—bear with me here…
This is part of a sample pack I got from Crimson Lotus (who, btw, has amazing packaging!)
This is one of my first shengs, and the first one I enjoyed. I think it’s delicious, and so interesting.
There’s a hint of smoke, some oddly mouth refreshing bitterness, and a bit of cooked asparagus. On the second steep, there’s a bit of tobacco. But the mouthfeel is the shiz! It’s refreshing, cooling and pleasant. Not minty, but cooling nonetheless, and it lingers after the tea is gone. The water I drank afterwards was even more refreshing and cooling than usual.
I don’t know how seasoned pu heads like this tea, but I think it’s fascinating and delicious.
My stupid iPad won’t let me rate this, but at this point I’d say 90? I really dig it.
EDIT: I’m 4 (5?) steeps in. Just wanted to say that this is bitter, so if you don’t like that, this won’t be your fave.

6 g 7 OZ / 207 ML
mrmopar

I liked it well enough to put one away to age.

RoriRants

Did you? How long will you age it for?

mrmopar

I have drank about half of one cake and I really plan on a 5 year sample and somewhere between there and 10 it should be ready.

I’ve had this for some time, and I’ve never even tried it. I pulled it from storage and decided to give it a go. The dry leaf is incredibly compressed, and it gives off a sweet and fruity aroma. I placed a chunk in my warmed yixing and gave it a shake. The warmed leaf gave off a nice sweet aroma. I was picking up peat moss, wet wood, and some nectar. I washed the leaves twice and prepared for brewing. The steeped leaves gave off a much different tone that its previous aromas. I was able to get a distinct smoke scent along with some spinach and pepper. The taste begins slightly sour with smoke. The smokiness grows and becomes stronger with each steeping. The Bulang bite is present in the first couple steeping sessions. The qi can quickly be felt by the second steeping.The feeling begins in the head and neck and quickly flows through the body. I experienced no huigan with this brew. I’m glad I stuck with it (I’m not partial to bitter brews), for it became sweet by the fourth steeping. The Bulang bite still accompanies this sugarcane sweetness. However, this brew goes flat pretty quickly. I was able to pull about eight or so steepings from this tea. The sweetness was good, but it wasn’t lasting and it was too subtle for my taste. This is an okay tea, and I guess it would make a fair daily drinker. Personally, I don’t see myself reaching for it in the future.

Flavors: Bitter, Peat Moss, Pepper, Smoke, Spinach, Sugarcane, Sweet, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Crimson Lotus Tea

Thank you for the review!

Haveteawilltravel

No problem Glen :)

Thank You Mr Mopar for this sample. I hope I’m reviewing this in the right place as there seem to be two 2014 Crimson Lotus Bulang teas. This was a strong and punchy sheng. It was bittersweet in the early infusions. While there was a punchy bitterness to it there was an underlying sweetness to this tea. That sweetness really came out in later steeps. I only steeped this eight times as it is getting late for me to have caffeine but I figured I was using a 60ml gaiwan so I should still be able to sleep tonight. I definitely have to put this on my list of teas to buy. It’s quite good although you have to appreciate a bitter sweet sheng.

I brewed this eight times in a 60ml gaiwan with 4.6g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse and a 10 minute rest. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 sec. This seems like a high quality sheng and if I wasn’t watching my caffeine I think I would have given this one another six or eight steeps.

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
mrmopar

You got the right one. I had to get an extra to age.

Crimson Lotus Tea

Nice review. This tea is a definite heavy hitter in the budget category. You’re right, you do need to like bitter sweet sheng.

6g of tea, gongfu, water just about boiling, two short rinses, then 5-10 second steeps. This came as part of an “intro to pu’er” set from Crimson Lotus. The first thing that really hits me is the aroma of the dry leaves. They smell delicious, like candy or fruit (mangos). Wet leaves have the same aroma, plus a note of tobacco. Light soup, looks like a roasted oolong. The aroma of this tea is amazing. This is unlike any other sheng I’ve tried: the aroma and the flavor don’t match up. You expect sweetness, but it’s not really there. The flavor is more smoke, pepper, tobacco, with a fair amount of bitterness.

EDIT: Drank this again a month later. Yes, there is sweetness. Plenty. I just couldn’t taste it before. Go figure.

Crimson Lotus Tea

The Bulang area of Yunnan is known for that bitter punch. This is one of the tamer Bulangs actually. :-) The dry aroma always reminds me of Fruit Loops cereal.

curlygc

OMG, Yes! That’s hilarious, it does smell like Fruit Loops. Here’s what drove me nuts: I was just drinking Vally Peak green tea from Mandala, which has the same aroma, but the flavor is as you would expect, sweet. That Bulang really threw me for a loop. Or, Fruit Loop, lol.