2000 Old Warrior

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Mineral, Molasses, petrichor, Wood, Bitter, Nutty, Musty, Peach, Wet Earth, Wet Rocks, Wet Wood, Camphor, Forest Floor, Moss, Sugarcane, Cream, Smooth, Sweet, Dark Bittersweet, Nuts, Walnut, Decayed wood, Mushrooms, Smoke, Bark, Compost, Dirt, Medicinal, Dust, Leather
Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Crimson Lotus Tea

• “A very rich amber brew with a heady earthen aroma and a surprisingly sweet and clean taste filled with a sharp mineral tang and foresty palette (wet earth/leaves, mulch, tree bark). The best way I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Slightly bitter, nutty-earthy and slightly bitter after old books, no “where dui wei” any more present, quite persistent though somewhat mixed leaf quality. Images and more at...” Read full tasting note
  • “Had my first taste of the Old Warrior 2000 this afternoon. Clean, fresh earth, mulch, minerals and tree bark. Smooth as silk and a very dark amber brew. This is outstanding and highly recommended.” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry leaf is dense, but not tightly compressed. Leaf is typical shu -black, to dark brown. Dry leaf aroma is nonexistent. This tea seems to have been dry stored. Steamed aroma is sweet earth. ...” Read full tasting note

From Crimson Lotus Tea

This vintage shou brews smooth, clean, and clear with an intense amber color. The aroma has vibrant mineral notes that reveal a depth of maturity like reading an old book or walking through a deep forest. The flavor is slightly nutty with a pleasing earthiness of fertile soil. There is no bitterness or astringency. The aftertaste is sweet and comfortable in the throat. The energy is calming. This is a tea to be cherished and shared.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

A very rich amber brew with a heady earthen aroma and a surprisingly sweet and clean taste filled with a sharp mineral tang and foresty palette (wet earth/leaves, mulch, tree bark). The best way I can think to describe the taste of this tea is like having the ability to drink petrichor.

Highly recommend and need to get more!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Earth, Mineral, Molasses, petrichor, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Images and more at https://puerh.blog/teanotes/2000-old-warrior-clt

Flavors: Bitter, Earth, Nutty

8 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Dry leaf is dense, but not tightly compressed. Leaf is typical shu -black, to dark brown. Dry leaf aroma is nonexistent. This tea seems to have been dry stored. Steamed aroma is sweet earth. Ditto for brewed aroma. Brews up a semi-transparent dull copper. Sort of surprising. Most shu is pitch black. I’m going to assume the brew color is due to the age of this shu.

First brew is slightly boring. It tastes like a typical, aged, mid quality shu. Which, in and of itself would be good. However, it tastes a bit too rounded for me. I think the ageing process took off any harshness, but it also took off the high notes. Flavors are as follows: A soft, slightly musty sweet earth. A hint of peach, maybe. Texturally, it’s very soft. The finish sees an increase in must. Cha qi is negligible. Second brew presents with a much darker liquor. It looks more like typical shu. Murky, dark brass. Beyond that, there’s very little development in this brew. Third brew is even darker. Murky black, with just a hint of brass. Taste remains one dimensional. The must is growing stronger, but it’s not enough to give this tea any real character.

The fourth brew does an about face. Liquor is much lighter. It’s still murky, but, color wise, it’s closer to the second brew. Taste is noticeably sweeter. The musty element is still present, but not as prevalent. There’s now a peach sweetness, that transitions into a more sweet earth profile on the finish. Fifth and sixth brew continue this trend. Seventh brew tastes stepped on. Far too watery. On the eighth brew, I added 20 seconds to the steep time. Even with that increased steep time, the strength of the tea did not improve. It’s officially steeped out. At least, with this method of brewing. I’m sure you could do some really long infusions to maybe get another few brews out of it.

One side note. This tea has a fair amount of body caffeine in it. I noticed my hands twitching a bit while typing out these notes. I’m hesitant to attribute this effect to cha qi. It doesn’t have the mental stimulation that I usually get from cha qi.

Flavors: Earth, Musty, Peach

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Crimson Lotus Tea

This is a very thorough review. Thank you for it!

Overall not so enjoyable. I wanted to like it, but in the third steep (after two initial rinses), I found myself not even wanting to continue drinking it. What happened?

Admittedly, this was only the fourth shu I have ever tasted (so what follows is my amateur tasting). My first one was a $10 cake from a Chinatown grocery store: marine and musty. My third was a 2007 “Huang Zhi” (from Crimson Lotus) and especially the intense mushroomy aroma and oily texture blew me away (I wish they had more in stock). The present shu, however, although it had some mushroomy aroma that I liked (and wood aroma that I didn’t like so much) actually turned me off by the third steep due to an overpowering earth taste. Not the interesting earthy taste I can appreciate, but rather just more like dirt, if that makes any sense. Long wet earth/dirt aftertaste in second steep. Then, the third steep suddenly bottomed out with an odd tatse, much weaker body. In the 4th steep, the earth taste was gone already, but there was nothing notable I could discern, and it became a casual drinking cup rather than something to study and inspire. By the 7th and 8th steeps it had mellowed and smoothed out, the earthiness receded and was replaced by mustiness and wet cavern. Did not get to 10 steeps.

There are positive traits: that mushroomy aroma at first, some mineral taste, a noticeable thickness, fullness, and somewhat creamy. And especially, it had a grounding effect and left me in contemplation and calm, steady focussed work. That was great.

Flavors: Earth, Musty, Wet Earth, Wet Rocks, Wet Wood

5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

17g 200ml

Rather easy to brew to be honest. Nice undertone of wood and fleeting moments of old fermentation. No unique notes to set it apart, but the aspect that this brews out cleanly for multiple infusions without changing drastically makes it a worthy shou if one drinks shou frequently.

Got a sample of this as a gift from a tea friend, thank you!

The dry leaf smells of woody oak and pine. It’s very sweet smelling, like a cigar. There’s even a tiny bit of smoke, as though someone is BBQing ribs over a pine fire miles away.

The brew is mostly like the smell. It’s a clean, woody pine forest with a little smoke. The mouthfeel is smooth like velvet. It seems long lasting for a shou.

I think one of my favorite shous so far.

Sample from my amazing secret Santea (thanks, twinofmunin!), but I’ve also had the pleasure to try it briefly at Floating Leaves Tea with Glen and Lamu. I didn’t take notes then, but this was just as clean and deep forest floor as I remember, with virtually none of that shou funk and all of the lovely thick texture shou tends to give (although that’s compared to sheng, this is actually not super thick on the shou spectrum).

I really dislike shou fermentation funk, so I’m finding I really enjoy aged shou that has cleared, the more completely the better, like this one. I only gave it the one, normal rinse as opposed to my usual two long ones once I get a whiff of the leaf and it still came out nice and clean. I went with around 8g to a 100ml in ruyao gaiwan, boiling water. It’s a little thin at the very start due to my being too lazy to do more than throw a condensed chunk in the gaiwan, but already has a heavy up front flavor of old wood core and forest floor. As it opens up, it gets thicker and sweeter, with a subtle camphor cooling quality throughout (I noticed it by steep 2, but I had also been choking on it from trying to talk and drink at the same time, so I doubt I would have noticed it for a while longer if it hadn’t been numbing the sensitive tissues of my vocal chords, heh). A mineral mossiness takes over the wood flavors towards the end, around steep 6 or 7.

When steeped with a very light hand, this kind of reminds me of coffee in character without the bitterness with the mellow yet prominent wood flavor that lingers. Steeped more to my standard slow flash steeps, it’s predominantly thick and rich and tastes like if I cored an ancient tree and boiled it in water for an hour or two and maybe threw a handful of some of the equally ancient forest floor in for good measure.

There is a certain lingering quality to this tea, however, that I’m hard put to describe. There’s a review on their website of this as having indescribable ‘emotion’ and I would have to agree—there’s a certain taste to it that I can’t put words to, but evokes the smell and memory of my favorite aged (now deceased) grandma, despite the fact that she smelled nothing like this tea. It simply tastes like nostalgic old age to me underneath the very upfront wood, minerals, and sweetness. Coupled with a very relaxing, grounding (as in, it feels like all your muscles are being dragged to the ground) qi that was quite strong for me, I really enjoyed this. I got 11 steeps out of it, but could have probably pushed it for more if we didn’t have another tea lined up for the day.

Flavors: Camphor, Forest Floor, Mineral, Moss, Sugarcane, Wood

Boiling 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Drinking more birthday tea! Starting the year off with some shou. Used 10 grams, did two washes and started enjoying this one immediately. It steeps up nice and dark in the first steep, but the darkness of the liquor really shines in steep two.

This is good stuff. Both rhinkle and I enjoy it. It’s nice, deep, earthy, super smooth and has an appreciable hint of creaminess. Very calming qi. Sweetness really starts to emerge over time.

Flavors: Cream, Earth, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g

I purchased a sample size of this to try it along with a brick of the 2008 Imperial Bulang, a 220ml gaiwan, and a Basset Hound tea pet.

The dry leaves have a very clean scent. Almost non-existent. After a ten second rinse, the leaves have an earthy fermentation scent often associated with a ripe. There is definitely a wood scent as well.

First steep, the color is a lighter brown. Cinnamon caramel brown, perhaps. The taste is very light. You get just a hint of that woody flavor that relates to the scent of the wet leaves. Smooth too. Slides right down the throat.

Further along, the color deepens a bit. The flavor intensifies as well. I am a man who works with wood often. I cut and chop wood. I burn wood. I walk among the woods. This is very much a woody puerh. Think about walking in the woods and finding a tree that has been downed for a bit. Use a hatchet to split it open along the grain. Lean your nose in to that freshly cut wood. That is what I’m getting here.

Clean, earthy wood. I think that sums this up nicely. I don’t get much that says sweet but it is very smooth.

Flavors: Earth, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 7 OZ / 220 ML
Super Starling!

I live in the forest, a source of wood. I kick trees down with my bare feet. I use entire trunks as toothpicks. I ride bears to sources of more exotic wood. I construct decks and homes out of that wood for the less fortunate and/or less manly.

mtchyg

I am a man of simple means and simple pleasures. I use wood to cook all of my food. My house smells of rich mahogany. I write words on the corpses of dead trees. I should get out of this before I make a dirty joke about wood.